Fall Camp Position Battles - Defensive Tackle

Six guys could play. NU may very well need all six, too. ... Senior Kevin Maurice, the only one with significant in-game experience, is "prime for his best football," Riley said. And the Huskers will need him. Said Riley: "He’s got to be that guy that we can really rely on." … There's sophomore Mick Stoltenberg, who Riley said rehabbed "like crazy" after suffering a knee injury in bowl prep. "We're all excited about Mick," he said. … The Davis twins — redshirt freshmen Carlos and Khalil — are talented and eager, but "they're still learning about playing the game at this level," Riley said. He did note Wednesday that the Davis brothers have "the greatest chance for upside as the season goes on." … Sophomore Peyton Newell took advantage of an opportunity back in April. "(He) really wasn't in the picture a year ago, and all of a sudden he's making some plays in spring practice," Riley said. … Senior Logan Rath continues "to work," Riley said. He thinks Rath could put himself into that regular rotation.

OWH

I really hope he can anchor the line with Maurice and we aren't reliant on the Davis Twins day 1. I think they will only get better as the season goes on, but DT tends to take a few years of proper development.

I doubt Coach Parrella ever dreamed that if he ever had the opportunity to be the D-line coach at Nebraska that he would walk into a situation this dire. He definitely gets a chance to prove what he can do this year.

I would really like to see Stoltenberg slim down a bit and play some DE, but it's great to see him coming on at DT. No matter who ends up starting, that only helps the overall depth.

If any dt moves to de it would be a Davis twins not mick. They are more explosive and could play on space better. Really like Mick at dt

I would really like to see Stoltenberg slim down a bit and play some DE, but it's great to see him coming on at DT. No matter who ends up starting, that only helps the overall depth.

If any dt moves to de it would be a Davis twins not mick. They are more explosive and could play on space better. Really like Mick at dt

It's not like Stoltenberg is slow and plodding. The guy ran the 4x100 relay in high school track.

That said, we can't possibly move Stoltenberg from DT. We're too thin at that position as it is.

It's not like Stoltenberg is slow and plodding. The guy ran the 4x100 relay in high school track.

That said, we can't possibly move Stoltenberg from DT. We're too thin at that position as it is.

That was about 50 pounds ago. The 4x100 time was also about 47 seconds which is about 2 seconds slower than our jv teams time. It is impressive that he ran on the 4x100 though.