Fall Camp Position Battles - Quarterback

Fyfe will back up simply on experience.......POB will not start as a Freshman, he may turn out OK, but he is far from being a first year sensation, as many had hoped....but that's OK too.

So many on the board dismiss 'experience' as not important - hence we should red shirt POB and save his year of playing time. But to say Fyfe is the clear number 2 based on one game of experience seems to suggest that a little bit of experience is extremely important! ? I feel we need to get a QB ready for next year with at least 100 snaps of real live game time experience.

28 Days out and it's pretty much been decided since before Spring:

1- Armstrong

2- Fyfe

3- Bush

RS- O'Brien

I get it and I don't necessarily disagree with it. Armstrong's a senior with 3 years experience, duh. Fyfe has been our backup and has started games, regardless of outcome. Bush has been here long enough to be the 3rd guy.

It's just disappointing on a different level. We heard so many great things about POB, how he was going to compete right away and how he was a solid fit for this type of offense. I'll be honest, after the Iowa game I was completely ready to write TA off. But that's not logical. Part of me just wanted to see POB competing for the backup role but that ship has clearly sailed, it would take a major string of injuries for him to see the field this year and we DO NOT want that.

Let's see what ya got Tommy, this is your swan song so get out there and play like you want to leave the fans wishing we had you for another 4 years!

I'm concerned because I think Tommy Armstrong needs to hear some footsteps behind him. If there's a more accurate armed QB on the bench, Tommy will need to show he can throw disciplined passes, too. If his advantage is his running ability, he can use it to stave off the QB itching on the bench. He was that guy when Ron Kellogg III was the better-passing, more experienced option, and Tommy earned his playing time and leadership position.

If he only has to worry about Ryker Fyfe, his playing time will never be threatened.

I'm still not convinced that Tommy understands what's needed from him, and I'm forced to consider the possibility that he's already hit his ceiling.

Either way, he's close to being champion-caliber game-changer, but running out of chances to prove it.

• Fire 1

28 Days out and it's pretty much been decided since before Spring:

1- Armstrong

2- Fyfe

3- Bush

RS- O'Brien

I get it and I don't necessarily disagree with it. Armstrong's a senior with 3 years experience, duh. Fyfe has been our backup and has started games, regardless of outcome. Bush has been here long enough to be the 3rd guy.

It's just disappointing on a different level. We heard so many great things about POB, how he was going to compete right away and how he was a solid fit for this type of offense. I'll be honest, after the Iowa game I was completely ready to write TA off. But that's not logical. Part of me just wanted to see POB competing for the backup role but that ship has clearly sailed, it would take a major string of injuries for him to see the field this year and we DO NOT want that.

Let's see what ya got Tommy, this is your swan song so get out there and play like you want to leave the fans wishing we had you for another 4 years!

I understand what your saying, but don't be disappointed. POB may very well be a great fit for Riley and Langsdorf.... in a couple years. The kid is a true freshman, these types of offenses click when a fourth-year junior or fitfth-year senior, with talent, are at the helm. I think with Armstrong's, and Fyfe's, experiences in film room, practice field, and games make them the best options now. They can throw, they've seen Div 1 defenses, they have been practicing at high speeds for 4 years, and they can communicate with coaches. We're not comparing 'senior' Tommy to 'senior' POB, it is 5th year Tommy and Ryker vs 1st year Patrick...

I think it really depends on how the early games go for me. If we start out with a couple wins and then follow with about 3 losses, then its time to look to 2017 and we give youth a chance to learn. At that point, the season is basically long term practice for the next year in essence. The conference and any other championships are out of the question. The schedule gets tougher so if we are out of the race for anything meaningful, then its time to get back to the future. POB and Bush need to play a bunch so we don't find ourselves with three consecutive losing seasons! That could easily happen if we find ourselves as we did last year on the bottom side of .500 looking up in October. Watching Tommy's swan song is not acceptable if we are losing. I honestly don't expect this BUT it is certainly possible with a rash of key injuries in the line or something. Turnovers and penalties are the great equalizers.

Jake Browning was good enough to be the QB at Washington as a True Frosh. Now they have a super hyped team. Not that they are going to finish that way but still. I've seen this before. NU has had many a QB highly touted and not work out.

Dukes, Beck, Gabbert and Freeman transfers late. Zac Lee was a 4 star guy......

If TA stinks it up early on, how long till the RS is pulled on POB? or is it?

Fyfe will back up simply on experience.......POB will not start as a Freshman, he may turn out OK, but he is far from being a first year sensation, as many had hoped....but that's OK too.

Of course he may turn out OK, he may turn out to be a first round talent, too. Just because he isn't going to lead the team to the Rose Bowl in his first year doesn't really change his potential.

I think it really depends on how the early games go for me. If we start out with a couple wins and then follow with about 3 losses, then its time to look to 2017 and we give youth a chance to learn. At that point, the season is basically long term practice for the next year in essence. The conference and any other championships are out of the question. The schedule gets tougher so if we are out of the race for anything meaningful, then its time to get back to the future. POB and Bush need to play a bunch so we don't find ourselves with three consecutive losing seasons! That could easily happen if we find ourselves as we did last year on the bottom side of .500 looking up in October. Watching Tommy's swan song is not acceptable if we are losing. I honestly don't expect this BUT it is certainly possible with a rash of key injuries in the line or something. Turnovers and penalties are the great equalizers.

Riley will play the best guy, every game, as his neck is on the line.

• Fire 1