Tangent Thread - Fall Camp Edition

I think it really depends on how the early games go for me. If we start out with a couple wins and then follow with about 3 losses, then its time to look to 2017 and we give youth a chance to learn. At that point, the season is basically long term practice for the next year in essence. The conference and any other championships are out of the question. The schedule gets tougher so if we are out of the race for anything meaningful, then its time to get back to the future. POB and Bush need to play a bunch so we don't find ourselves with three consecutive losing seasons! That could easily happen if we find ourselves as we did last year on the bottom side of .500 looking up in October. Watching Tommy's swan song is not acceptable if we are losing. I honestly don't expect this BUT it is certainly possible with a rash of key injuries in the line or something. Turnovers and penalties are the great equalizers.

Riley will play the best guy, every game, as his neck is on the line.

LOL his neck is on the line. Maybe your line.

Even if this year flubs again, he's got another 2 before his neck is on the line.

Whether Riley is going to be fired or not, the AD should tell him to play the young guys. Period. end of discussion. Seniors can and should play if the team is competing for championships / upper half of the bowls, etc. but once the losing season becomes apparent, then you double down on the 'backups to the future' program.

Who plays and who doesn't isn't a decision the AD should be making.

Agreed. He should not be making it because he doesn't have to. The HC and assistants should make the RIGHT decisions for the future of the program, not just the future interests of the coach. This is, in my view, at the very root of many of the issues of the program today. Frank wasn't recruiting sufficiently well and then as the cupboard got empty, he found himself going from the three deep to the two deep charts. He quit publishing the accurate heights, weights, speeds, etc. We started hearing the BS about players and their 'injuries' etc. The excuses were aplenty, some more legit than others, etc. Then long time devoted assistants were fired. We all know the story. But the problem develops to a point where desperation to win now and to hell with the future mentality takes control. Like a business, you have to plan and invest and sacrifice in the near term to build for the long term. Far too many are looking at the what have you done for me lately and yet ultimately the great coaches build a program and then maintain it. You do that by making sure the present is brighter than the past and the future is brighter than the present.

• Fire 1

I think it really depends on how the early games go for me. If we start out with a couple wins and then follow with about 3 losses, then its time to look to 2017 and we give youth a chance to learn. At that point, the season is basically long term practice for the next year in essence. The conference and any other championships are out of the question. The schedule gets tougher so if we are out of the race for anything meaningful, then its time to get back to the future. POB and Bush need to play a bunch so we don't find ourselves with three consecutive losing seasons! That could easily happen if we find ourselves as we did last year on the bottom side of .500 looking up in October. Watching Tommy's swan song is not acceptable if we are losing. I honestly don't expect this BUT it is certainly possible with a rash of key injuries in the line or something. Turnovers and penalties are the great equalizers.

Riley will play the best guy, every game, as his neck is on the line.

LOL his neck is on the line. Maybe your line.

Even if this year flubs again, he's got another 2 before his neck is on the line.

Whether Riley is going to be fired or not, the AD should tell him to play the young guys. Period. end of discussion. Seniors can and should play if the team is competing for championships / upper half of the bowls, etc. but once the losing season becomes apparent, then you double down on the 'backups to the future' program.

Who plays and who doesn't isn't a decision the AD should be making.

Agreed. He should not be making it because he doesn't have to. The HC and assistants should make the RIGHT decisions for the future of the program, not just the future interests of the coach. This is, in my view, at the very root of many of the issues of the program today. Frank wasn't recruiting sufficiently well and then as the cupboard got empty, he found himself going from the three deep to the two deep charts. He quit publishing the accurate heights, weights, speeds, etc. We started hearing the BS about players and their 'injuries' etc. The excuses were aplenty, some more legit than others, etc. Then long time devoted assistants were fired. We all know the story. But the problem develops to a point where desperation to win now and to hell with the future mentality takes control. Like a business, you have to plan and invest and sacrifice in the near term to build for the long term. Far too many are looking at the what have you done for me lately and yet ultimately the great coaches build a program and then maintain it. You do that by making sure the present is brighter than the past and the future is brighter than the present.

Great comment.

Frank left Callahan more high draft picks than Callahan left Bo.

We need to please stop pretending that Frank was a terrible recruiter. There was a severe drop at OL as NE local talent pools dried up and Tenopir couldn't/wouldn't recruit because of health issues, but for the most part, NU's recruiting under Frank was consistent with NU's historical average (and probably better than what we are seeing right now).

We need to please stop pretending that Frank was a terrible recruiter. There was a severe drop at OL as NE local talent pools dried up and Tenopir couldn't/wouldn't recruit because of health issues, but for the most part, NU's recruiting under Frank was consistent with NU's historical average (and probably better than what we are seeing right now).

Dude, I understand that you didn't feel like Solich and Bo should have been fired when they did, but why do you have to bring this crap up in every single thread. It gets old.

• Fire 5

Dude, I understand that you didn't feel like Solich and Bo should have been fired when they did, but why do you have to bring this crap up in every single thread. It gets old.

I'd ask the same question of why people who want to trash them bring them up in thread after thread.

Wtf is this even doing in here?

I'd ask the same question of why people who want to trash them bring them up in thread after thread.

You're right, both of you guys suck.

I come here to read posts about the future of Husker football...not rehash things that happened 10 - 15 years ago. My suggestion is for the mods to create a Husker History forum so this ITG can have his circular arguments with himself. I can then ignore these stupid threads.

• Fire 4

It is amazing but not surprising at all that so many on this site who prior to today would just rave about how wonderful and great and amazing this coach was and I recall someone even suggested it would be quite right to give him a big salary raise (although already making a quarter millions or something?)!

This guy has not even been formally arraigned nor had any criminal charges read to him, let alone had the opportunity to meet with an attorney and discuss his legal rights, options, etc. You are already discussing who should take his place after he is fired, tarred, feathered, jailed and presumably some of you would give him the death sentence! What the heck is wrong with you people?

Many of you are probably the very same 'law and order' types that will gleefully vote for Hillary Clinton to be the President of the United States! LOL

You'll vigorously defend the morally indefensible actions of 'protesters' who burn down businesses and destroy the property of the public and private citizenry of this country without even so much as a disturbing the peace citation. Then passionately proclaim how the racist cops so badly abuse each and every non-white arrested for who knows what kind of serious crimes. But this Black football coach you viciously turn of and want to burn at the stake.? What kind of mentality is this?

I have not researched the law and no longer live in Nebraska but I recall there may be a state statue that protects state workers (he is a state employee I believe?) from summary employment termination for matters arising out of substance abuse or alcoholism? I am not sure he can so quickly be fired for something like this in Nebraska, even assuming this were the desire of the AD and or others involved. Not sure a college professor or other University staff person would be summarily fired without due process.

Many of you likely defend the morally indefensible radical Islamic terrorists who rape, butcher, shoot, behead, run over, set afire, and just for the fun of it I guess torture men, women and children around the world and suggest, as our President and many of his supporters and defenders do as well, that their actions are those of the 'lone wolf' and the insane or the disgruntled worker or some such BS. But, a football coach who, until today, was admired and respected and problaimed as 'the best'? At least give the guy his civil rights that, once upon a time in America, were guaranteed and assured by the Constitution, formerly known by many as the greatest legal and governing document ever devised and set to paper. Before you all railroad this Black man into prison, let's atleast find out 'the rest of the story' first.

• Fire 2

It is amazing but not surprising at all that so many on this site who prior to today would just rave about how wonderful and great and amazing this coach was and I recall someone even suggested it would be quite right to give him a big salary raise (although already making a quarter millions or something?)!

This guy has not even been formally arraigned nor had any criminal charges read to him, let alone had the opportunity to meet with an attorney and discuss his legal rights, options, etc. You are already discussing who should take his place after he is fired, tarred, feathered, jailed and presumably some of you would give him the death sentence! What the heck is wrong with you people?

Many of you are probably the very same 'law and order' types that will gleefully vote for Hillary Clinton to be the President of the United States! LOL

You'll vigorously defend the morally indefensible actions of 'protesters' who burn down businesses and destroy the property of the public and private citizenry of this country without even so much as a disturbing the peace citation. Then passionately proclaim how the racist cops so badly abuse each and every non-white arrested for who knows what kind of serious crimes. But this Black football coach you viciously turn of and want to burn at the stake.? What kind of mentality is this?

I have not researched the law and no longer live in Nebraska but I recall there may be a state statue that protects state workers (he is a state employee I believe?) from summary employment termination for matters arising out of substance abuse or alcoholism? I am not sure he can so quickly be fired for something like this in Nebraska, even assuming this were the desire of the AD and or others involved. Not sure a college professor or other University staff person would be summarily fired without due process.

Many of you likely defend the morally indefensible radical Islamic terrorists who rape, butcher, shoot, behead, run over, set afire, and just for the fun of it I guess torture men, women and children around the world and suggest, as our President and many of his supporters and defenders do as well, that their actions are those of the 'lone wolf' and the insane or the disgruntled worker or some such BS. But, a football coach who, until today, was admired and respected and problaimed as 'the best'? At least give the guy his civil rights that, once upon a time in America, were guaranteed and assured by the Constitution, formerly known by many as the greatest legal and governing document ever devised and set to paper. Before you all railroad this Black man into prison, let's atleast find out 'the rest of the story' first.

Quietly GTFO. Please.

• Fire 2

Well said.

• Fire 1

See now 84 - you could have made your point without tying it to politics and I would have +1 you because it's solid, fact based and fair. Rational even.

Then you had to go on a diatribe about all your other nutball issues and accusations. No need. Not the place. Go to the threads where it's appropriate (and where people have stopped responding to you because you're crazy).

• Fire 3