Keith Williams Suspended Two Weeks, Will Miss Four Games

BIG ERN

He is suspended without pay until August 31st. He also cannot coach or attend the first four games of the season.

“Words cannot fully express my deep regret and profound remorse for my actions this past weekend. I want to apologize to my family, the Nebraska family, the young men in our football program, Coach Riley, Shawn Eichorst, Chancellor Green and President Bounds for any harm that I may have caused this phenomenal institution. Over the coming weeks, I plan to begin to make amends and to engage in personal counseling to assist in my journey. I understand there is no room for error for me at Nebraska and I am going to work hard every day to prove that I am worthy to represent the Huskers," Williams said.

Edited by Mavric
Edited title for clarity.
  • Fire 1

So what do you all think about this? Is the punishment appropriate given the infraction?

I'm on the fence about it. I love KW. I love what he brings to the table in terms of being able to recruit, to coach, and how he has represented the University in a manner which placed Nebraska very much on the map. But this last DUI seriously cuts into the latter. That professional swagger factor suffered a serious blow, and opened the door for people to rightly question his ability to be a mentor to these young men, and as an extension the ability of the Nebraska football program in general to be so.

I hope this response from the university will in time allow the current cloud to dissipate while holding him accountable to his family, to his players, and to himself, so all can move positively beyond it. I'm not completely convinced at this point, but I do hope that will be the case. We'll see.

• Fire 2

I don't know all the little details behind this decision. All we can do is trust that those in power who DO know the details have made the best choice given the situation. And that their decision wasn't entirely motivated by the desire to win games or retain recruits.

Three DUI's seems incredibly bad. But how long should a person suffer for mistakes and how many chances does one get? Is it the same for every person in every circumstance? I'm not informed enough to know what should have been done.

But I do feel informed enough, now, to say that any inkling of the slightest trouble out of KW should result in immediate firing in the future.

• Fire 1

So what do you all think about this? Is the punishment appropriate given the infraction?

I'm on the fence about it. I love KW. I love what he brings to the table in terms of being able to recruit, to coach, and how he has represented the University in a manner which placed Nebraska very much on the map. But this last DUI seriously cuts into the latter. That professional swagger factor suffered a serious blow, and opened the door for people to rightly question his ability to be a mentor to these young men, and as an extension the ability of the Nebraska football program in general to be so.

I hope this response from the university will in time allow the current cloud to dissipate while holding him accountable to his family, to his players, and to himself, so all can move positively beyond it. I'm not completely convinced at this point, but I do hope that will be the case. We'll see.

I'm right there with you. I like Williams a lot. I'm concerned about this punishment being too lax. I have zero experience with DUIs or how they affect someone's life, other than what we all know, which is that drunk drivers too often kill people.

It's serious. We could all understand why he could be fired. We all understand that he wasn't fired because he's valuable to the team. It's cynical and perhaps unjust, but it's football.

• Fire 5

The University and their hierarchy reviewed and set this in motion. There was or is never going to be a win/win situation where everyone is/was happy with the ending results. I believe the quicker they just get back to business the better!

• Fire 1

Hope there are other stipulations put in place for his off the field lifestyle. That's more important than him being able to coach.

Had an old roommate get picked up for his 2nd DUI years back and they made him attend daily or 3x per week class sessions, then made him pee test 2-3x per week. He was able to install interlock in his car to drive, but had to have that for at least 2 years.

Outside of being fired, if he was going to be retained, I think the punishment is pretty fair.