Keith Williams Suspended Two Weeks, Will Miss Four Games

BIG ERN

I'd like to think there's a path back for people. Time will tell if KW deserved this. University officials must have not seen this as too much of a liability, for whatever reason -- and I'd hesitate to assume it was football oriented. You guys think SE cares about winning games? Ha, ha.

Then again, I don't have a lot of context for what happens after DUIs. Michael Phelps could have been kicked off USA swimming, arguably, for his 2nd DUI. He got probation under the law and a 6-month suspension from the team. The probation ended this June and of course, it was all in time for him to secure Team USA glory and knocking Leonidas of Rhodes off his perch.

He also seems like a swell guy who made a couple of serious mistakes, though. And that may be the case here. The sort of mistakes that could finish someone and have everyone go, "Yeah, that seems fair."

Mostly, I hope they're making the right call here, and I'm really disappointed by this whole turn of events. I could've believed KW to be a lifelong teetotaler if you had told me that before last week. To see him as a 3x DUI offender is stunning.

• Fire 2

Hope there are other stipulations put in place for his off the field lifestyle. That's more important than him being able to coach.

Had an old roommate get picked up for his 2nd DUI years back and they made him attend daily or 3x per week class sessions, then made him pee test 2-3x per week. He was able to install interlock in his car to drive, but had to have that for at least 2 years.

Outside of being fired, if he was going to be retained, I think the punishment is pretty fair.

It was said in the presser that there are - and that Riley is not going to discuss them.

We know how this goes...in 6 weeks no one will care or even talk about it anymore. It is really amazing how fast these things happen, become a HUGE issue and then are forgotten.

Hopefully it remains a non issue the rest of his career.The vultures will be waiting to say,I told you so!,if anything else should happen.

Honestly...this punishment is pathetic. I relaxed off of, "He should be let go no matter what", but he doesn't get paid for less than two weeks, then he gets to do everything he normally does except be on the sidelines during games.

He could have killed someone, and it's not the first time he's done it. There has to be weight to consequences towards something so serious. He's not an evil or bad guy, he might not even have a habitual or addiction problem, but he deserves more than such a slap on the wrist.

• Fire 3

"Nebraska sends the wrong message" is possibly true. I'll admit I lack perspective on this situation, and I don't honestly know if the Williams punishment is too light or too severe. I can see both answers.

However, I have a really hard time reading a headline like that from a news source that employs Michael Irvin, whose rap sheet makes Williams' pale in comparison. I understand that ESPN is in the business of reporting on sports news, but that hypocrisy is galling in a situation like this.

• Fire 5

"Nebraska sends the wrong message" is possibly true. I'll admit I lack perspective on this situation, and I don't honestly know if the Williams punishment is too light or too severe. I can see both answers.

However, I have a really hard time reading a headline like that from a news source that employs Michael Irvin, whose rap sheet makes Williams' pale in comparison. I understand that ESPN is in the business of reporting on sports news, but that hypocrisy is galling in a situation like this.

Especially when the same writer cheered the University for no penalty against Bo for his profanity laced tirade against the press and the fans. It was wrttten for clicks and not substance.http://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.espn.com%2Fblog%2Fbigten%2Fpost%2F_%2Fid%2F84300%2Fno-discipline-for-bo-pelini-the-right-call&h=yAQED7YC4 But Pelini will ultimately dig out of this hole only through winning games. Disciplining him before he has a chance to do that serves very little purpose.

• Fire 1

The courts and the legal system is designed and operates as the arbiter of criminal and other legal wrongs and the consequences thereof. I do not believe the employer is or even should be responsible for or empowered to pass sentence upon an employee for any personal actions of that said employee, when not on the job. We do not know, so far as I have read, if he was 'at work' or on his personal business at the time. If he was driving a University vehicle, etc, then he should be treated in accordance with the employment contract which governs all public employees, etc. No better and no worse. If he was Williams being Williams, private citizen, then the University has no rightful business imposing criminal punishments or fines or such on him. He is a free citizen and entitled to be one when not on the job. In my opinion, schools passing judgment on students and employers passing judgment on employees when not on the job is wrong.