Where Offensive Play-Calling and Coaches Adapting Are Discussed

Most days where we try to be a drop back pro style team , you will get "bad Tommy" to one degree or another.

Somehow the staff hasn't fully figured this out.
We have two coordinators who seem to have an average grasp of schemes, at best. I would say banker is below average. We don't have a lot of data points for Langs.

Edit: actually we do. A lot of the concerns people have at NU so far seem to have played out during his play calling days in Corvallis.

Maybe he'll change. We'll see.

Most days where we try to be a drop back pro style team , you will get "bad Tommy" to one degree or another.

We're still witnessing a combination of what talent is available versus the schemes the coaches are comfortable with and know a lot about. There are going to be some continuity issues regardless of what some fans want or the way some fans perceive things should be.

Man, I just get tired of people constantly pooping on our coaches.

Did you like the product on the field last year? Sorry, but they are deserving of a little poop until they can prove they're better than a just over .500 (lifetime) coaching staff. I like the staff as people, and for being such great ambassadors, and have nothing but respect for the way they've held the team together during some really adverse times this past month, but not so much beyond that.

• Fire 5

Man, I just get tired of people constantly pooping on our coaches.

Did you like the product on the field last year? Sorry, but they are deserving of a little poop until they can prove they're better than a just over .500 (lifetime) coaching staff. I like the staff as people, and for being such great ambassadors, and have nothing but respect for the way they've held the team together during some really adverse times this past month, but not so much beyond that.

I think there is probably a more appropriate thread for a debating the pros and cons of the coaching staff. Just sayin.

• Fire 2

We have two coordinators who seem to have an average grasp of schemes, at best. I would say banker is below average. We don't have a lot of data points for Langs.

Edit: actually we do. A lot of the concerns people have at NU so far seem to have played out during his play calling days in Corvallis.

Maybe he'll change. We'll see.

You could also look at it another way - as in, we have a coach that has a lot of experience as a HC and wants to be the HC at NU, was given thumbs up by a lot of high end people in this sport around the country, has hired a staff that is very experienced at what they do and want to be around MR and NU. They are adapting their style to the current players while trying to bring in players that will fit what they would like to do at NU in the big10.

• Fire 2

Let's see how they do in our first three games this fall and I expect at that point, we can reasonably discuss the coaches, their 'schemes' and adaptations to the available players and the opponents faced. Game plans have to be developed to fit the players that will actually be playing in that particular game (adjusted for injuries, other absences, deficiencies, etc) and designed with the relative strengths and weaknesses of the opposing team. Nothing Earth shattering with this. These coaches will have had adequate time to build some basic trust, instill the kind of attitude and understanding in the players of their 'systems' and methods and schemes and play designs and etc. The 20916 by game 4 should be pretty well adept at running the 'Riley & Company' plays effectively. Every team tends to improve as each season progresses and, absent injury losses, the team should be playing its best by the end of the year. But, most of the kinks and wrinkles should be smoothed out by game 4, just in time for the conference schedule to start. While we all want the team to win every game, the critical games at this juncture in the Riley program development, is still finding a way to play our best in the critical conference games, ultimately in hopes of winning the Big Ten west division race.

After having taken the time to rewatch the entire 2015 season's games a couple more times, I believe there is clear evidence that the team struggled in the first half of the season to accept the new coaches and schemes, etc. There seemed to be a general lack of confidence and in some cases effort. However, by the second have of the season, the effort was there and despite a slate of opponents that were improving and overall more challenging in my view than the first half schedule the team DID GET BETTER. Improvement can be seen across the offensive lines, the secondary, the running backs, the linebackers, and D line. The receivers were very good from game one and Tommy A played his usual (good mixed with not so good) all the way through. I believe some of Tommy's forced throws and interceptions and so on were motivated, in part at least, by Tommy feeling intense pressure to find a way to win on his own. By Nov. 1, the season looked quite bleak and yet, somehow, the team hung in there and turned things around, winning several big games. The Iowa loss hurt but it was a sort of 'do or die' kind of point in time as the team desperately wanted to find a way to be the unbeaten team and get to a bowl and finish 7-6 but fell to 5-7 in the process. Had we played as well vs Iowa as we did later vs UCLA, we would have won. IMO. Give these coaches a chance to prove themselves with this team. Hopefully, no major distractions (another death in the Husker family or legal issue or critical injuries, etc), will enable the Huskers to do better.

Let's see how they do in our first three games this fall and I expect at that point, we can reasonably discuss the coaches, their 'schemes' and adaptations to the available players and the opponents faced. Game plans have to be developed to fit the players that will actually be playing in that particular game (adjusted for injuries, other absences, deficiencies, etc) and designed with the relative strengths and weaknesses of the opposing team. Nothing Earth shattering with this. These coaches will have had adequate time to build some basic trust, instill the kind of attitude and understanding in the players of their 'systems' and methods and schemes and play designs and etc. The 20916 by game 4 should be pretty well adept at running the 'Riley & Company' plays effectively. Every team tends to improve as each season progresses and, absent injury losses, the team should be playing its best by the end of the year. But, most of the kinks and wrinkles should be smoothed out by game 4, just in time for the conference schedule to start. While we all want the team to win every game, the critical games at this juncture in the Riley program development, is still finding a way to play our best in the critical conference games, ultimately in hopes of winning the Big Ten west division race.

After having taken the time to rewatch the entire 2015 season's games a couple more times, I believe there is clear evidence that the team struggled in the first half of the season to accept the new coaches and schemes, etc. There seemed to be a general lack of confidence and in some cases effort. However, by the second have of the season, the effort was there and despite a slate of opponents that were improving and overall more challenging in my view than the first half schedule the team DID GET BETTER. Improvement can be seen across the offensive lines, the secondary, the running backs, the linebackers, and D line. The receivers were very good from game one and Tommy A played his usual (good mixed with not so good) all the way through. I believe some of Tommy's forced throws and interceptions and so on were motivated, in part at least, by Tommy feeling intense pressure to find a way to win on his own. By Nov. 1, the season looked quite bleak and yet, somehow, the team hung in there and turned things around, winning several big games. The Iowa loss hurt but it was a sort of 'do or die' kind of point in time as the team desperately wanted to find a way to be the unbeaten team and get to a bowl and finish 7-6 but fell to 5-7 in the process. Had we played as well vs Iowa as we did later vs UCLA, we would have won. IMO. Give these coaches a chance to prove themselves with this team. Hopefully, no major distractions (another death in the Husker family or legal issue or critical injuries, etc), will enable the Huskers to do better.

I don't have time to read all this...

• Fire 2

I don't have time to read all this...

5509467.jpg