OWH: Huskers Look for Progress on Sidelines

Mavric

When you talk about expectations for this 2016 Nebraska season, to me, it’s not about a magic number of wins or where the Big Ten office sends the team bowling for dollars.

It’s about personnel management, clock management, penalties, turnovers, play calling that adjusts to how the game is going and even how the defense is playing, special teams that find an edge.

It’s about coaching.

I always say national pundits mislabel Husker fans as bloodthirsty types who demand championships or else. Most people realize the ’90s were a perfect storm.

I say most Nebraskans want to compete for championships, and sure, bring home some banners. But most of all, it’s about playing good, hard, smart football. Looking as if you’re coached. Not being embarrassed.

And that’s what made last season so hard to take: so many losses that could have been avoided with better management and, um, coaching.

OWH

• Fire 1

I always say national pundits mislabel Husker fans as bloodthirsty types who demand championships or else. Most people realize the ’90s were a perfect storm.

I say most Nebraskans want to compete for championships, and sure, bring home some banners. But most of all, it’s about playing good, hard, smart football. Looking as if you’re coached. Not being embarrassed.

And that’s what made last season so hard to take: so many losses that could have been avoided with better management and, um, coaching.

So much this...

• Fire 1