What Kind of Offense Are We Really Trying to Run?

From the link above:

Grim leaves Nebraska: Never felt 'like home'

Derrion Grim never felt comfortable with Nebraska football: from his arrival for spring practice up to the precipice of the regular season.

For the former McNair football wide receiver, it wasn’t about adjusting to a Midwestern city after growing up in Stockton. Grim just didn’t fit in with Nebraska football, mostly because of its offense, he said.

“First off, it was just a (compatibility issue). It wasn’t somewhere I could feel like home,” said Grim, the California state record holder for receiving yards in a regular season, with 1,767 as a senior. “I stayed throughout fall camp and I still felt the same way.”

I mean, you're not going four wide with Tommy Armstrong taking snaps, at least not as your base package. Next year, with Tanner Lee, POB or Gebbia taking snaps, yeah that's going to happen.

If Grim couldn't wait one year - his freshman year - for that offense, then it's better for him and for us that he moves on.

Also, regarding Williams:

Nebraska wide receivers coach Keith Williams, a Tokay High graduate, was arrested for a DUI recently, his third drunk-driving offense. Riley said firing Williams was under consideration, according to a story by the Omaha World-Herald, but eventually he was given a four-game suspension.

Williams’ recruitment was instrumental in obtaining Grim, who was once a Boise State verbal commit. He even gave Grim his first nickname as a Husker — “Cherry” — referencing a dyed-red stripe in Grim’s hair.

Yet, Derrion Grim said Williams’ DUI and suspension have little to do with his departure.

So Riley is telling the media that he thinks we should be primarily a running team but he - or his staff - are telling recruits that we're going four-wide and throw it around.

So either Riley and his staff aren't on the same page or he just likes telling the media what he thinks people want to hear.

So Riley is telling the media that he thinks we should be primarily a running team but he - or his staff - are telling recruits that we're going four-wide and throw it around.

So either Riley and his staff aren't on the same page or he just likes telling the media what he thinks people want to hear.

Maybe it's both. We run it more this year with tommy under center, next year we open it up with our new shiny passing qbs. Isn't that what most people are hoping happens? Maybe it is.

I was just about to comment about this. I understand that Riley and Langsdorf prefers the passing game, so is he just giving the Nebraska media and fans lip-service about establishing the running game long-term?

McKewon and Nyatawa commented a little about this in their most recent podcast. At Oregon State Riley felt compelled to "trick" his opponents and throw the ball all over the place because of inferior talent. Well, at Nebraska, inferior talent shouldn't be an issue, so there should be a lot of games where the offense should be able to line up and impose their physicality over the course of 60 minutes. Illinois and Purdue are perfect examples of this last year.

Riley is not a moron so I think it is safe to say that he will say what he needs to say to make his life easy.

The future of this team is clearly throwing the football. One doesn't have to be a recruiting genius to figure that out.

Riley has one more year of playing out the seniors recruited for a different style of offense, and after that it's going to be a heavy passing attack with pro-style QBs. Grim just had to wait out his Freshman year - like almost everyone - and he'd have been in the system he likes.

Riley is not a moron so I think it is safe to say that he will say what he needs to say to make his life easy.

And since he says it in a nice and calm way, a lot of fans like it. Riley understands the "it's not always what you say, it's how you say it" game very well.

• Fire 1

Riley is the king of coach speak, that trait has stood out very much the past 20 months, the more games played the more it shows. I'll give Riley the benefit of the doubt for 2-3 seasons to see what he can do to pull the right strings, but hope stories like the one Grim is telling doesn't become a trend.

Anyway, sounds like a kid who wasn't going to be pleased either way and was looking for any excuse out. Not faulting him for leaving, it's his decision and if he didn't feel right at Nebraska - like Kevin Williams - I'd rather them leave and move on than let feelings fester and potentially hurt the team. It does suck because I think he could have been good, just wish he was a little less selfish (that's his prerogative) and had a little more patience to let it play out.

• Fire 1

The future of this team is clearly throwing the football. One doesn't have to be a recruiting genius to figure that out.

Riley has one more year of playing out the seniors recruited for a different style of offense, and after that it's going to be a heavy passing attack with pro-style QBs. Grim just had to wait out his Freshman year - like almost everyone - and he'd have been in the system he likes.

The future of the team is clearly throwing the football well. We have been bringing in great receiver's for sometime now. We are also recruiting some damn good running backs. I don't see that as a pass heavy attack or the system Riley likes. He has a track record of running the ball as much as throwing it. I think your tea leaves are a bit crumbled. My tea leaves see Nebraska as a 55/45 running team. Cav is clearly molding our linemen and the recruits he wants for a strong running game.

And, this is why his comments are so frustrating.

Hey....If a kid isn't happy, I'm fine with him deciding to go somewhere else. But...spring practice is what??? 15 practices??? To be not even through those and you are unhappy because you don't think you will be utilized enough......wow......

The future of the team is clearly throwing the football well. We have been bringing in great receiver's for sometime now. We are also recruiting some damn good running backs. I don't see that as a pass heavy attack or the system Riley likes. He has a track record of running the ball as much as throwing it. I think your tea leaves are a bit crumbled. My tea leaves see Nebraska as a 55/45 running team. Cav is clearly molding our linemen and the recruits he wants for a strong running game.

The target is 50/50. As is with any coach. That's ideal, esp if you have consistent talent accross the board to do either. But what changes is matchups, personnell, situations, and so on, from week to week, season to season.. So this ratio can vary. Like you said, you see it as probably being 55-45 run. but in one week it could be like a 75-25 pass, then back to a 60-40 run the next week. It's an ever changing number. Lot of times i just dont think that "run the damn ball" guy gets that. And as of right now, Nebraska certainly isnt in a position to just impose their will and do what we do.

• Fire 2