Colin Kaepernick: dbag or not?

Didn't want to pollute the 'shed, if that's even possible, so I created a separate thread for this.

It's my white privilege to do so.

I'm going to disagree. Read the article, CK isn't doing this on a whim. Whether you agree or disagree with his stance, honoring his 1st Amendment rights is as american as it gets.

He's not doing it on a whim, but he is misdirected.

He is as American as it gets alright, and he is exercising his American right to be a douchebag. And he may soon have the right to collect unemployment benefits. Hope he enjoys his gubment cheese.

He is as American as it gets alright, and he is exercising his American right to be a douchebag. And he may soon have the right to collect unemployment benefits. Hope he enjoys his gubment cheese.

Fair enough. I just don't see standing or not to the anthem to bring awareness to a topic about the government as douschebaggie.

Fair enough. I just don't see standing or not to the anthem to bring awareness to a topic about the government as douschebaggie.

Nothing wrong with sitting during the anthem to bring awareness to a topic about the government. I didn't realize the government was oppressing people of color. There should be laws against discrimination.

Nothing wrong with sitting during the anthem to bring awareness to a topic about the government. I didn't realize the government was oppressing people of color. There should be laws against discrimination.

You are absolutely right. Of course, those laws are enforced equally and without bias, so problem solved!

There's a difference between Colin Kaepernick the human being and Colin Kaepernick the unextraordinary NFL quarterback.

Not everyone has the same experience in the country. Naturally you might expect people to feel a little differently about standing up for the national anthem if things going on around them don't seem at all very hunky dory. I'm sure we can agree that while our system is mainly in good faith, it works a lot better for some groups of people than it does for others.

He's hurting nobody with this expression. Good for him.

If Colin really wants to draw attention and show that he doesn't support this country, perhaps he should refuse to work for an employer that profits from American culture and capitalism. He said himself this is bigger than football. Perhaps he should actually do something other that be polarizing and hypocritical.

Or instead he should burn a flag during the national anthem. THAT'LL show 'em. THAT will get results.

I mean, kind of an odd messenger, for sure, but that's his First Amendment right. If that's the way he feels, let him say so. It's similar to me to Ali's refusal to go to Vietnam, though obviously he paid a much greater price. Kap was probably already going to be riding the bench.

But, if in fact he is just doing it to get away from Chip Kelly, I don't blame him. Some Eagles players accused him of being racist. And they just started to hate him generally after a while... A bit like Coach Harbaugh :lol:

I think you're being unreasonable in portraying where he's coming from.

How am I being unreasonable? Those were his words, weren't they?

And I'm certainly being no more unreasonable than him thinking his "action" will lead to anything productive.

I just think it's a futile, silly gesture.

Akin to a childish temper tantrum of social justice warriors.

To that end, I also think its silly how upset and offended others are by his simple action.

If he really wanted to make a productive difference, he could do like Carmelo Anthony and host a town meeting with police, govt reps and minorities to discuss how to further improve race relations.

I know CK tweets a lot about civil rights issues, but I still think this is largely a ploy to get traded.

Street, is the argument there that if you didn't personally experience racial discrimination, you should be OK with it happening and not complain too much?

I mean, that's true for most people. I don't see why it should be expected of everyone, though.

I can see how it's an odd gesture -- and this would have to go more into the "Kaep is a poor QB who probably isn't long for the NFL" aspect of it. Then again, is it not also odd that we entwine public shows of nationalism so much with commercial sporting events to begin with?

• Fire 4

I find it funny, considering he was raised by two white parents who were fairly well off. If there is one man who didn't grow up being held down and racially discriminated against, it's Kaepernick.

So from your perspective you can not hold an opinion or take a stance on something unless you've fit the mold exactly? Maybe you don't understand his statement. Your comment is silly (or ignorant).

• Fire 1

While I don't believe that Kaepernick has really been a victim of racial oppression, I can appreciate that he has brought more attention to the issue through this action than any regular avenue would have (tweet, public statement, helmet patch, whatever). This action alone does not make him a dbag.

I don't really understand why people make a big deal out of people or organizations engaging in legal activities that go against their own beliefs or values. If you have a problem with this type of activity don't watch the game. The NFL has taken a nose dive in recent years with endless PSAs and other objectionable activity to the point where I simply refuse to watch it any more. If you have a problem with something, vote with your feet, eyes, and dollars.

That being said, I think that there is much more to the story than Kap "truly" wanting to make a statement. I think he is trying to protect his own hide. He knows that he is on the verge of being cut, but if he makes this kind of "statement" and THEN gets cut, he and millions of others will cry foul and try to link the cutting back to this stunt. As much as I don't care for this kind of activity nor the message it spreads to impressionable parties...

59930157.jpg

I don't know all the nuance about this, but I don't see what the big deal is.

The ritual reinforcement of a national tribe right before the ritual of tribe identity in sports isn't the most...rational thing ever. Being a good American is fighting for what the pledge says, liberty and justice for all. That can look differently for different people.

• Fire 2