Newby vs. Ozigbo - who should start & who should see the most carries

Enhance

Terrell Newby and Devine Ozigbo will likely see the vast majority of Nebraska's carries this season, barring injury. Both players have different running styles and are better suited for different situations, but from a rushing standpoint, there's no denying Ozigbo had the better performance in week one. There also seems to be some division between who should start and who should get the most carries.

So, I'm compiling a list each week of which situations both players were utilized alongside some results. The idea is to see if the standard YPC and touchdowns scored tells the whole story between these two players.

Disclaimer: Week one is a small sample size, but it will obviously grow each week. Furthermore, I didn't go into minute situational detail with these guys.

****This is NOT meant to be a poll. I apologize for the confusion. The intent is to look at uncommon measurables and see who is performing better situationally, outside of YPC and total TD's.****

----------

Week One - Nebraska vs. Fresno St.

----------

Newby - 11 carries, 56 yards., 5.1 YPC., 0 TD's

Carries by down: 1st = 7, 2nd = 4, 3rd = 0 and 4th = 0.

Carries by distance to 1st down: 6+ yards for 1st down = 10

- 5 or less yards for 1st down = 0

- inside 10 yard line = 1

Carries by quarter: 1st = 7, 2nd = 1, 3rd = 3, 4th = 0

Carries of 3 yards or less (excluding scoring plays) = 4

Carries of 10+ yards = 1

Ozigbo - 17 carries, 103 yards, 6.1 YPC., 2 TD's

Carries by down: 1st = 11, 2nd = 5, 3rd = 1 and 4th = 0

- 5 or less yards for 1st down = 4

- inside 10-yard line = 3

Carries by quarter: 1st = 2, 2nd = 6, 3rd = 5 and 4th = 4.

Carries for 3 yards or less (excluding scoring plays) = 3

Carries of 10+ yards = 4

----------

Several conclusions could be drawn from this data, but a glaring one is that Newby was overlooked in favor of Ozigbo in the 2nd half when Fresno was getting more worn down. And though I didn't include this in the data, 3 of 4 Ozigbo runs of 10+ yards came in the 1st half.

Do these numbers support/contradict any of your own perceptions or ideas about who should be seeing the most carries?

----------

----------

Week Two - Nebraska vs. Wyoming

----------

Newby - 4 carries, 20 yards, 5.0 ypc, 0 TD'S / 4 catches, 27 yards, 6.8 average, 0 TD's

Carries by down: 1st = 2 , 2nd = 2 , 3rd = 0 and 4th = 0

Carries by distance to 1st down: 6+ yards for 1st down = 4

- 5 or less yards for 1st down = 0

- inside 10-yard line = 0

Carries by quarter: 1st = 2, 2nd = 2, 3rd = 0, 4th = 0

Carries for 3-yards or less (excluding scoring plays) = 1

Carries of 10+ yards = 0

Ozigbo - 15 carries, 44 yards, 2.9 YPC, 1 TD / 1 catch, 39 yards, 0 TD's

Carries by down: 1st = 11, 2nd = 2, 3rd = 2 and 4th = 0

- 5 or less yards for 1st down = 3

- inside 10-yard line = 2

Carries by quarter: 1st = 2, 2nd = 2, 3rd = 4 and 4th = 7

Carries for 3-yards or less (excluding scoring plays) = 6

Carries of 10+ yards = 0

• Fire 2

I haven't watched tape of the game yet, but from watching it live it appeared to me that Ozigbo got much better blocking than did Newby.

That said, I think Devine is by far the better back, and I'd have him atop the depth chart if I were the coach. I'd have Tre Bryant ahead of Newby, too. He's clearly the future of the I-Back position.

• Fire 4

I was impressed by how physical Newby was against Fresno. It seems as though he ran with more of a purpose / sense of urgency. I still believe Ozigbo to be the better overall back.

I think you start Ozigbo and use his physicality to wear down the defense and then in the latter stages of each quarter, use Newby to take advantage of the fatigue with his speed.

I don't really care who starts, and they each add their own qualities. I like Ozigbo, and is a pounder, but I don't think he has breakaway speed and is not a home run threat. Newby can be a home run threat. It will be interesting how they work Tre Bryant into the rotation. I really liked his carries in the 2nd half on Saturday, although Fresno had given up at that point.

Ozigbo, hands down. He gets away from the tackles. And frankly Tre Bryant looked crisper than Newby.

Tre Bryant also played in the last few minutes of the game when the Fresno defense had already been gutted by Ozibgo and Newby.

He's going to be a good one, but to say he looked crisper than Newby seems a little unfair considering when each back got their respective carries.

• Fire 5

Play em both and keep em fresh. They both had a good night, although Newby probably should have had a couple more carries. After Zig wore the D down Newby could have carved them up on a couple drives. I think if you can use a rotation to keep them fresh and work Bryant in some to share a few carries we could have a good year.

It's a hell of a problem to have 3 (probably 4 really with Wilbon) backs that could start any game.

I'd opt for playing them both, all 3 if you want to throw Tre in there too. I thought Newby looked as good or better than he ever has but I think Zig is better. If it's a goal line or an inside run and short yardage is needed, definitely Ozigbo. Guy won't go down without a fight. We're looking very good at RB, only concern will be keeping them all happy.

Did Wilbon play? Is he hurt? Or is he just 4th on the depth chart now?