Local Channel Antennas

Alright boys, lets get this party started.

I have switched to Playstation Vue. Need to find the best avenue to get Fox, ABC, NBC, CBS. (and of course PBS)

I live about half way between Sioux Falls and Sioux City, so I'm basically pulling from both places, but it's right on the border, so signals are wavering.

I have a Mohu Leaf and a Turbek(sp) antenna box.... Neither are getting the job done from upstairs or downstairs. I can move it around to get the station I want, but that is less than ideal, would like to get a permanent home for both.

Have considered the antenna in the attic, but not sure how great that will actually work out. Need to know more specifics before I attempt to go through that process.

Anyone got any tips?

• Fire 1

Have you checked the reception tool on mohu's website? Check that and a couple other reception tools (FCC, antennaweb, tvfool, many others) to determine reception strength & transmitter location. This will determine the type of antenna setup and location for best reception. Typically in border areas, attic or roof mount is going to give you the best reception and you may need an omni- or multi-directional antenna.

If you are outside a good sized urban area, this is the best process unless you are hard set on "trial and error" approach. Google is your friend here as this is very well documented.

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1920&bih=1101&q=antenna+strength+zip+code&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwjjtNLamIrPAhUJ4YMKHbDtBUEQ1QIIYigE

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1920&bih=1101&q=reception+maps+digital+tv&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwjjtNLamIrPAhUJ4YMKHbDtBUEQ1QIIXigA

https://www.google.com/#q=over%20the%20air%20hd%20channels%20by%20zip%20code

Did you even check the reception/coverage at your location? If you are not going to start with that, you will probably spend more time & money than necessary to address it.

BTW, that Mohu Sky is often one of the worse performing antenna's at it's price-point. You may want to look at the AmazonBasics 60 or Winegard products if you are just looking to buy something without actually determining the problem.

Good luck...

Did you even check the reception/coverage at your location? If you are not going to start with that, you will probably spend more time & money than necessary to address it.

BTW, that Mohu Sky is often one of the worse performing antenna's at it's price-point. You may want to look at the AmazonBasics 60 or Winegard products if you are just looking to buy something without actually determining the problem.

Good luck...

The coverage in my area is not a problem. With the antenna I already own, I'm supposed to get all of the channels I listed, but the problem is I'm not getting them from the location I want to keep my antenna at....

Is that what you mean? I am in the correct circles in that map.

Good luck...

The coverage in my area is not a problem. With the antenna I already own, I'm supposed to get all of the channels I listed, but the problem is I'm not getting them from the location I want to keep my antenna at....

Is that what you mean? I am in the correct circles in that map.

Which coverage map are you using (website/url)? What is the signal strength for the channels? Where are the towers in relation to your antenna (same side of building, opposite, etc)? Lastly, does your antenna have an amp? If so try it with/without it...

The problem is probably signal strength, interference (building/trees/top), or antenna position. There are a ton of free apps that will help tune the antenna for android/ios. Searching something for "antenna", "antenna tool", "antenna signal" should bring it up. I would run that right next to your antenna and it should help maximize the reception at that spot.

So I found an app that basically told me exactly the direction to place my antenna (even though it is multi-directional). I haven't placed it there yet though, too busy. The question is, is that the best an app can do for me, or can it literally show me the signal reading if I get the right one?

Thanks in advance.

That would be a signal meter. The only phone apps that will do that with any accuracy are for specific products like the HDHomerun or Tablo. The app connects to those devices to check the OTA signal strength. Do you happen to have one of those or comparable device? Otherwise, you can find a used hdtv ota signal meter for ~$150 or so which is a great tool in the long run...

Even with that, over-the-air tv has limited options to address picture quality issues. Best option is getting closer to the towers.... Other than that, it is a matter of: 1) optimizing antenna placement/direction/location; 2) using/not using amp or preamp; 3) quality of of antenna.

OTA HDTV signal is line of sight and essentially limited to ~70 miles or so. Any kind of obstruction (trees, buildings, storms, dust, person, walls, roof etc) will degrade the signal. OTA HD signal is massively more sensitive than OTA analog TV. Orienting multi-/omni-directional antennas to the problem towers is common (these have a "sweet spot"). Raising the antenna higher can improve most line of sight/obstruction/distance/strength issues.

If it's a poor signal, look at adding a preamp or amp. As the name indicates, these amplify the signal. This will help with poor reception channels but will probably over-amplify good reception channels. These will not help if you do not have signal to begin with and should be done last.

Lastly, you can look at a better antenna but more than likely you will still end up back in situation 1). Something else to consider is the splitters/connectors/cables from the antenna can degrade the signal pretty fast. A better antenna with a bad cable will do nothing...