Prime for a letdown?

That's the beauty of coming off a 6-7 season. You can't really look past anyone. I highly doubt this team will follow the same pattern we've seen under the previous regime.

The only team in the Western division that we beat last year was Minnesota.

I imagine every speech before a divisional matchup will include something along the lines of, "these guys beat us last year. remember that?"

Shouldn't be too hard for us to be motivated.

I fully expect to cover the spread and then some.

• Fire 1

It's a legitimate concern. The thought crossed my mind as well.

I think Northwestern is bad enough that they would have to play their best game of the season on the same day Nebraska plays their worst game of the season to actually come away with the W.

Which really wouldn't surprise me a bit.

Just glad North Dakota State isn't in our division.

• Fire 1

In a really weird sort of way, I'm sitting here on Monday now nervous about the Northwestern game the same way I was nervous about the Oregon game.

No, I don't see them as equal opponents.

Now....I think these coaches are telling them the right things. Even before this game, they were saying how every win makes the next game bigger. With that attitude, that should tell the team this game is a really big game this week too. It should help them focus.

After last year, Nebraska has to take the mentality that they can win any game, and lose any game, and that to give themselves the best chance they can is to respect that week's opponent and make them the object of their main focus.

My worry and my gut feeling suggests that Nebraska will drop a game it shouldn't at some point this year, just because they are still fundamentally unsound. If you have ongoing problems with turnovers and penalties, you are living dangerously in conference play, no matter how talented you think you are. It's been an old habit for this program for 10 years. I'm glad to see they are learning how to get past it and win in spite of it, but the law of averages would suggest that they can't get away with it every week.

I'm not saying it will necessarily happen against Northwestern, though it is a game that should certainly have our attention.

After last year, Nebraska has to take the mentality that they can win any game, and lose any game, and that to give themselves the best chance they can is to respect that week's opponent and make them the object of their main focus.

My worry and my gut feeling suggests that Nebraska will drop a game it shouldn't at some point this year, just because they are still fundamentally unsound. If you have ongoing problems with turnovers and penalties, you are living dangerously in conference play, no matter how talented you think you are. It's been an old habit for this program for 10 years. I'm glad to see they are learning how to get past it and win in spite of it, but the law of averages would suggest that they can't get away with it every week.

I'm not saying it will necessarily happen against Northwestern, though it is a game that should certainly have our attention.

But haven't we actually been better in these so far this year? Fewer turnovers and penalties? Knock on wood, I hope the trend continues. :dunno:

But haven't we actually been better in these so far this year? Fewer turnovers and penalties? Knock on wood, I hope the trend continues. :dunno:

Fewer turnovers, yes NU is doing well this year with those. But the penalties were terrible (especially personal fouls) in the first 2 games, and still had 7 for 55 yards against Oregon.