Your priorities are screwed up if you think the flag or the anthem has more importance than the freedoms they represent.

Agreed. I don't think either is worthy of disrespect, however.
Kind of hard to respect something that has been disrespecting your race for hundreds of years

When I served I didn't just defend the rights of people I agreed with, I defended the rights of everyone, including those I disagreed with. Maybe especially those I disagreed with. I didn't just defend peoples right to protest, I defended peoples right to criticize the protests as well.

The players are citizens and have the right to protest and others have the right to criticize or praise as they see fit.

• Fire 1

For some of you, if there is an afterlife, I really hope God is black.

i hope hes chinese. Or Russian. Like full blown 80s hard core soviet russian. Wouldnt that be a kick to the balls after desth.
would that mean the Angels are Russian girls? Because I may have to start going to church again

The national anthem is not just for veterans or those who have fought for the US. Its for everyone, and stands for our nation's incredible freedoms - for every Individual. People can acknowledge it however they want. Some people sing, some do not. Those bastards are unpatriotic! Some people put their hands over their heart - some do not - how scandalous! I agree w/the above comment. You people making a big deal out if it are the ones w/the issue.

What that guy said ^

Furthermore, it's putting more pressure on finding a solution to the violence; which I'm pretty sure is universally desirable.

Well....pressure to find a solution to SOME violence.....a very, very, very minute portion of the violence that occurs.....African American kids have been killing African American kids for decades.....no one ever gave a hoot about that violence. Now, these kids surely have the right to act the fool....I served to give them that right.....but they are misguided, bandwagoning, trend-following sheep, and disingenuous in my opinion
do not fing go here on a football thread. This is what's wrong. Systematic racism is a real thing and it needs to stop. This has nothing to do with the problem and is just as much a problem in every racial community across the board so get out of here with that "maybe they should be concerned about the African Americans killing African Americans" that is disrespectful and a disgrace if you ask me

I was as upset as anyone over this when Kaepernick did it. But as time has passed and more ive let it go. It is what it is. First off. Its a right to do it. I honor that right. Even though i dont agree with it. Yes. I wish theyd pick a different platform but its their right nonetheless. 2nd. My perspective is that its already beckme so watered down and " the norm" that soonno kne willnotice anyway. Its like thousands rushing to social media to provide worthless prayers after a tragedy that dont accomplish a damn thing but try to get a little attn. this "movement" is not gonna change anything. And sadly, since there are idiots on the other extreme, its poiring fuel on the fire. Poking the bear. Not that thats their intention. But i see how some are seeing it that way. Me? It is what it is. I can think of 6000 more important things to get worked up over than some guys standing "kneeling" for what they believe in.

+1. So they kneel. Now what? Kinda like occupy wall streeet.

• Fire 1

Players kneel for prayer after the game, nobody bats an eye.

Players kneel for the national anthem, everyone loses their minds.

Traditions are weird.

Taking a knee for prayer is a sign of respect for a higher power.

Taking a knee for this countrys national anthem and all who have died to make a football game possible shows a total lack of it.

This. End thread.
  • Fire 2

Players kneel for prayer after the game, nobody bats an eye.

Players kneel for the national anthem, everyone loses their minds.

Traditions are weird.

Taking a knee for prayer is a sign of respect for a higher power.

Taking a knee for this countrys national anthem and all who have died to make a football game possible shows a total lack of it.

This. End thread.

But why is the point Knapp was trying to make,

Another post mentioned white privilege, if you don't believe it doesn't exist, I have one statement, look at the NFL, and how Gronk and JJ Watt are, especially Gronk no way they would be viewed by most people the same way. Not a chance.

• Fire 1

Since these three young men were in Chicago, they should have jumped on the L train and went down south to Cicero Avenue and commune with some others who share the same mindset...

...just as long as they don't wear any Husker red...or any red at all...or any blue. Because the reality that exists outside of kneeling during a football game is that a young black man is 60 times more likely to be killed by someone who looks like himself than he is being killed by a cop. In Chicago, that "60 times more likely" is raised exponentially to be in the thousands.

So after they spend a week in Fuller Park, all three guys can come back and give a report. Nothing like real world, eye witness experience to go with "Monkey see, monkey do", social justice theory. Maybe next game these three can lie face down on the 50 yard line to commemorate every young black man murdered by another young black man because of gangs or drugs..

• Fire 1

Systematic racism is a real thing and it needs to stop.

Drug and gang wars are a real thing and they need to stop. I didn't grow up here in the relatively safe and tranquil confines of Nebraska, the Good Life State.

There was a reason that my entire family moved here one by one out of Illinois, (nine in all) and it wasn't because it's easier to find Husker apparel. I guess some things people can't understand until they experience them, so I'll just chalk this kneeling up as a Hollywood type fad.

• Fire 1

How many patriots in this thread rise from their couch to salute the flag?

Still haven't seen anyone answer this question and I'm dying to know.

I did last night while watching the game at my parents house. Put my hand over my heart and stood. Was really surprised that they aired the national anthem as they rarely show it.

I also fly the American flag in my front lawn everyday. Only take it down to replace it with a brand new one