When I was growing up I faced racial discrimination on a daily bases. I was attacked verbally and even violently because of the color of my skin. I lived in a very poor part of town and was raised by a single mother. I was ridiculed because I only had one pair of pants and two shirts to wear to school. My sister and I basically raised ourselves because my un-educated mother could not find a good job. She had to take the worst sh!t work she could find just to make ends meet. Gang violence was an occurrence that I saw (and tried to avoid) on a regular basis. There were shootings, stabbings and beatings that took place right in the street just feet from my shabby little run-down apartment. Nobody in my immediate family had ever graduated college so our family ethos was not one of placing importance on education. As such, I didn't do well in high school. While in school, because of my beliefs and outspokeness on social issues, I was often ridiculed not only by fellow students, but by my teachers as well. You see, I went to a high school where the teachers were not like me. In my neighborhood I was regularly pulled over by the police, told to sit on the curb (sometimes handcuffed) and watched by one officer while another basically tore apart the car I was driving. Before I could drive, I was often stopped on the street while walking along minding my own business and called over to a passing police car. The officers would exit and tell me to assume the position with my hands on the hood of the car, feet spread, while they searched me for weapons and contraband. There were no programs for youth in my neighborhood, particularly any specifically designed to help a kid like me who was a racial minority in that neighborhood and therefore didn't really fit in with the goals of those programs that did exist. When I got out of high school, there were no scholarships available. You see, I had to go and hustle and get work to help support my then aging mother, so my job disqualified me for financial needs based scholarships or aid, and there were no scholarships available for people of my race. I know very well what it's like to grow up without privilege. I have lost a job and not gotten others (and not gotten a promotion) because of the color of my skin, and it's very frustrating. However, I have become relatively successful and I owe it all to the opportunities that this country has provided for me.

As others have said, this place is not perfect, I know this better than most people, but it's still the greatest country on earth. I am absolutely in favor of the rights of college students to peacefully protest. However, I don't think they should be disrespectful. I believe that kneeling during the national anthem is a way to purposely show disrespect in order to get a rise out of people. That accomplishes very little and is in reality more divisive at a time when we should be looking for ways to bring people together and make our great nation even greater. If a player has a philosophical or religious reason not to stand before the flag, I'm okay with that. However, I think teams should start to make accommodations for those players so that their opposition doesn't fly in the face of people who are not attempting to do them any harm; but are simply trying to show their love of this great country. I would have no problem with allowing players who just can't stand for the anthem to wait in the locker room until the anthem was over. That way they wouldn't be going against their consciences and at the same time wouldn't be offending others. Of course they wouldn't get the opportunity to be provocative, but perhaps during the national anthem isn't the best time to be provocative.

• Fire 3

Have I been arrested? No because I know the difference between right and wrong and I comply with the laws. I have been pulled over and was issued a couple speeding tickets and I'm still alive. Is it due to me being white? Nope could be the fact that I gave the officer respect, allowed him complete visibility of my hands and never gave the officer a reason to deem me a threat to him or her safety.

Nobody is saying that I should be fired from my job but I do officiate football and have received a few comments from fans on some calls that they deemed were wrong and didn't agree with. Even told me to hang it up

Far, far too many Black Americans also "know the difference between right and wrong and comply with the laws" yet are still arrested, still shot, still killed.

It's this tone-deaf response that people in this thread are on about. The implication in this response is that Black Americans who have been arrested, shot, killed by the police did not know the difference between right and wrong, did not comply with the law.

These protests are about situations where people complied, people knew the law, but are still dead. Ignore that basic fact and you're missing the entire point.

Please show me which of these so called black Americans knew the laws and "complied". Also it's just not black people being shot by cops but unarmed white people too but the media and these protests would lead you believe that's a false assumption

A lot of you are living in a false reality built on lies

Well sure, and 71% of the cops killed in this country are killed by white people. And cop-killings have actually decreased in recent years. It's a cherry-pickers paradise.

If you have yet to see evidence of "so-called black Americans" being treated differently by law enforcement, there is simply nothing anyone can do to convince you.

I don't know about a false reality built on lies, but there is a mythology many white Americans clings to in order to feel better about themselves. They are often people who say all the right things in public, but deep down feel superior to African-Americans and want the system to maintain that comfort level. And not just with blacks, but with anything the system did to provide the white privilege they grew up with in the good ol' days.

There is no other explanation for Donald Trump.

Please show me which of these so called black Americans knew the laws and "complied". Also it's just not black people being shot by cops but unarmed white people too but the media and these protests would lead you believe that's a false assumption

Do you have any personal friends who are Black? Ask them.
Yes I do. A black friend who lives right behind me who I've officiated football with for the past 10 years who is completely embarrassed by the BLM protests

all other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, and men not in uniform, if applicable, should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart. Knapplc!!

You put your hand on your heart for the Pledge of Allegiance, not the National Anthem. However, you do remove your hat

Yes I do. A black friend who lives right behind me who I've officiated football with for the past 10 years who is completely embarrassed by the BLM protests

What does he think is really going on? Since so many people in this thread, and apparently BLM, are "living in a false reality," what is actually happening, according to your black friend neighbor with whom you've officiated football for 10 years?

Have I been arrested? No because I know the difference between right and wrong and I comply with the laws. I have been pulled over and was issued a couple speeding tickets and I'm still alive. Is it due to me being white? Nope could be the fact that I gave the officer respect, allowed him complete visibility of my hands and never gave the officer a reason to deem me a threat to him or her safety.

Nobody is saying that I should be fired from my job but I do officiate football and have received a few comments from fans on some calls that they deemed were wrong and didn't agree with. Even told me to hang it up

Far, far too many Black Americans also "know the difference between right and wrong and comply with the laws" yet are still arrested, still shot, still killed.

It's this tone-deaf response that people in this thread are on about. The implication in this response is that Black Americans who have been arrested, shot, killed by the police did not know the difference between right and wrong, did not comply with the law.

These protests are about situations where people complied, people knew the law, but are still dead. Ignore that basic fact and you're missing the entire point.

Well sure, and 71% of the cops killed in this country are killed by white people. And cop-killings have actually decreased in recent years. It's a cherry-pickers paradise.

If you have yet to see evidence of "so-called black Americans" being treated differently by law enforcement, there is simply nothing anyone can do to convince you.

I don't know about a false reality built on lies, but there is a mythology many white Americans clings to in order to feel better about themselves. They are often people who say all the right things in public, but deep down feel superior to African-Americans and want the system to maintain that comfort level. And not just with blacks, but with anything the system did to provide the white privilege they grew up with in the good ol' days.

There is no other explanation for Donald Trump.

Whatever makes you sleep better at night dude about that so-called mythology garbage.

I've seen maybe 2-3 videos where the cop was in the wrong and were charged rightfully so (Tulsa shooting, Georgia shooting where officer planted taser at victims body) which I stand behind by the state to charge those officers. We don't need those types of cops on the streets.

If you have yet to see evidence where the victim was in the wrong in majority of these shootings than I guess there's nothing I can do or anyone else could do to convince you other wise.

Maybe you should apply at your local PD and see what the real world really is. I was in the field for 7 years and got out of it because people lack respect this day and age and who believe that they didn't do anything wrong.

• Fire 1

What does he think is really going on? Since so many people in this thread, and apparently BLM, are "living in a false reality," what is actually happening, according to your black friend neighbor with whom you've officiated football for 10 years?
Still side stepping my question I posted several posts earlier

What question, the red herring of "Please show me which of these so called black Americans knew the laws and "complied"."

To expound on this statement, according to the NAACP's website, Blacks now constitute nearly 1 million of the total 2.3 million incarcerated population.

Are you legitimately upset that we're not going to analyze each of these 1 million Black/police interactions?

Are you legitimately stating that NO Black Americans know the law and comply with Police and are still arrested, shot, or killed?

You stated yourself the incidents in Georgia and Tulsa are legitimate. What exactly are you demanding is answered here?

What question, the red herring of "Please show me which of these so called black Americans knew the laws and "complied"."

To expound on this statement, according to the NAACP's website, Blacks now constitute nearly 1 million of the total 2.3 million incarcerated population.

Are you legitimately upset that we're not going to analyze each of these 1 million Black/police interactions?

Are you legitimately stating that NO Black Americans know the law and comply with Police and are still arrested, shot, or killed?

You stated yourself the incidents in Georgia and Tulsa are legitimate. What exactly are you demanding is answered here?

Dodging the question again