Spurs’ Gregg Popovich said he respects the athletes who are protesting the national anthem

Do you support that athletes that are taking stands?

“I absolutely understand why they’re doing what they’re doing, and I respect their courage for what they’ve done. The question is whether it will do any good or not because it seems that change really seems to happen through political pressure, no matter how you look at it. Whether it’s Dr. [Martin Luther] King getting large groups together and boycotting buses, or what’s happened in Carolina with the NBA and other organizations pulling events to make it known what’s going on. But I think the important thing that Kaepernick and others have done is to keep it in the conversation. When’s the last time you heard the name Michael Brown? With our 24/7 news, things seem to drift. We’re all trying to just exist and survive.

“It’s easier for white people because we haven’t lived that experience. It’s difficult for many white people to understand the day-to-day feeling that many black people have to deal with. It’s not just a rogue policeman, or a policeman exerting too much force or power, when we know that most of the police are just trying to do their job, which is very difficult. I’d be scared to death if I was a policeman and I stopped a car. You just don’t know what’s going to happen. And part of that in our country is exacerbated by the preponderance of guns that other countries don’t have to deal with. It gets very complicated.

“At this point, when somebody like Kaepernick brings attention to this, and others who have, it makes people have to face the issue because it’s too easy to let it go because it’s not their daily experience. If it’s not your daily experience, you don’t understand it. I didn’t talk to my kids about how to act in front of a policeman when you get stopped. I didn’t have to do that. All of my black friends have done that. There’s something that’s wrong about that, and we all know that. What’s the solution? Nobody has figured it out. But for sure, the conversation has to stay fresh, it has to stay continuous, it has to be persistent, and we all have a responsibility to make sure that happens in our communities.”

Click the link, read his full comments. He's really got a bead on how to approach this.

• Fire 3

The problem of black on black violence hardly negates the issue. It's a different side of the same coin. Inner city black kids believe their lives have less value because there's sh#tloads of evidence everywhere they look. It's the same recruiting technique used by gang leaders and drug lords in every culture throughout history.

A lot of young black kids don't believe Black LIves Matter and it's simply not true that Barack Obama and black leadership sweep that galling fact under the rug. If you think the unwarranted police shootings of blacks are somehow mitigated by the fact that blacks are killing each other, think about it again, a little harder. That's kinda messed-up.

• Fire 2

The problem of black on black violence hardly negates the issue. It's a different side of the same coin. Inner city black kids believe their lives have less value because there's sh#tloads of evidence everywhere they look. It's the same recruiting technique used by gang leaders and drug lords in every culture throughout history.

A lot of young black kids don't believe Black LIves Matter and it's simply not true that Barack Obama and black leadership sweep that galling fact under the rug. If you think the unwarranted police shootings of blacks are somehow mitigated by the fact that blacks are killing each other, think about it again, a little harder. That's kinda messed-up.

I hate the "but more Blacks kill Blacks" argument. Agree completely about it being a "different side of the same coin." Also, poverty is correlated with crime, as is age. And most Blacks live in neighborhoods with other Blacks, so when there is crime it's going to be committed mostly by Blacks. Blacks are more likely to be in poverty and they have a younger population due to higher birth rates and lower life expectancy, so the argument that it's some kind of Black "cultural problem" is a load of horse sh#t.

• Fire 1

I have lurked on these boards for years now and finally created an account just to comment on this. I served in the Air Force for 4 years and have been out a year, I see no disrespect from the athletes exercising their right. I think as a white man married to a black women that all this hate for the athletes is very appalling and continues to educate me on how very privileged I am.

• Fire 6

I have lurked on these boards for years now and finally created an account just to comment on this. I served in the Air Force for 4 years and have been out a year, I see no disrespect from the athletes exercising their right. I think as a white man married to a black women that all this hate for the athletes is very appalling and continues to educate me on how very privileged I am.

Thanks for joining us.

Appreciate you taking the time and effort to share. Sincerely.

I hate the "but more Blacks kill Blacks" argument. Agree completely about it being a "different side of the same coin." Also, poverty is correlated with crime, as is age. And most Blacks live in neighborhoods with other Blacks, so when there is crime it's going to be committed mostly by Blacks. Blacks are more likely to be in poverty and they have a younger population due to higher birth rates and lower life expectancy, so the argument that it's some kind of Black "cultural problem" is a load of horse sh#t.

Not to mention way more whites die at the hands of whites than blacks die at the hands of blacks. So we're going to have outrage over black people not being outraged enough over other black people killing them, but then we're not going to crusade for our own race to stop killing other white people?

Seriously?!?! Are people this dense?

I guess I am.

Write me out a list of when and where I received all of these privileges.

Do you get pulled over a lot less often because you're not Black? Is it easier for you to get a job because your name isn't Dwayne or Tyrone? Both of these things have been studied and the answer is yes for both. I could probably list 50 more things. People who think it doesn't exist are willfully obtuse.

White privilege shouldn't be blamed because of their names. They have their parents to blame for that.

Should I blame Sears because my mom dressed me funny?

I hope to God this is some kind of joke. You're really saying that names typically given to Blacks are "funny"? Why is that? Because they're not normal? They should try to conform and be more like White people, right? Only name their kids Tim and John so they can meet White standards for names and have a better chance at getting a job.

This is so backwards.

Why on earth would you think it was some kind of joke? Couldn't you recognize the extreme seriousness of the context of that post and the ones preceded/followed it?

Ahh...but it was a rhetorical question...because you'd already made your judgement of me and proceeded to chastise me in the rest of your post. I can only speculate why you would make assumptions about me and put words in my mouth.

Who would think that names typically given to Blacks are "funny"?

That is so backwards.

• Fire 1

Seriously?!?! Are people this dense?

I guess I am.

Write me out a list of when and where I received all of these privileges.

Do you get pulled over a lot less often because you're not Black? Is it easier for you to get a job because your name isn't Dwayne or Tyrone? Both of these things have been studied and the answer is yes for both. I could probably list 50 more things. People who think it doesn't exist are willfully obtuse.

White privilege shouldn't be blamed because of their names. They have their parents to blame for that.

Should I blame Sears because my mom dressed me funny?

I hope to God this is some kind of joke. You're really saying that names typically given to Blacks are "funny"? Why is that? Because they're not normal? They should try to conform and be more like White people, right? Only name their kids Tim and John so they can meet White standards for names and have a better chance at getting a job.

This is so backwards.

Why on earth would you think it was some kind of joke? Couldn't you recognize the extreme seriousness of the context of that post and the ones preceded/followed it?

Ahh...but it was a rhetorical question...because you'd already made your judgement of me and proceeded to chastise me in the rest of your post. I can only speculate why you would think that about me.

Who would think that names typically given to Blacks are "funny"?

That is so backwards.

I thought it was a joke because it was such a backwards thing to say if you really meant it.

This response makes no sense so once again I'm left with trying to interpret it. Because a comedy duo make light of something it's ok to say Blacks should have a harder time getting jobs because of their names and change them to less funny and more White culture appropriate names like Tim and John?

And the names I mentioned were Dwayne and Tyrone. I've seen a version of this skit before and it's not about names like Dwayne and Tyrone.

I'm not talking about ridiculous names that people of all races give their spawn. Like Shi-thead and Evian and Labia.

I thought it was a joke because it was such a backwards thing to say if you really meant it.

This response makes no sense so once again I'm left with trying to interpret it. Because a comedy duo make light of something it's ok to say Blacks should have a harder time getting jobs because of their names and change them to less funny and more White culture appropriate names like Tim and John?

If it's not okay to say that, then I guess it's a pretty good thing that I did not say that.

• Fire 2

If it's not okay to say that, then I guess it's a pretty good thing that I did not say that.

You're literally saying nothing but vague things which leads people into trying to figure out what your point is or not replying at all.

You said "White privilege shouldn't be blamed because of their names. They have their parents to blame for that.

Should I blame Sears because my mom dressed me funny?"

If you don't like my interpretation of it maybe you should explain how you're not saying Blacks should give their kids less Black/more White names.

For the record the names I listed were Dwayne and Tyrone.

Also:

"Ahh...but it was a rhetorical question...because you'd already made your judgement of me and proceeded to chastise me in the rest of your post. I can only speculate why you would think that about me."

There's no need to speculate. The reason I "think that about" you is because of the post you made where you said they should blame their parents for their names that have been proven to not get them jobs at the same rate as Whites. It's not a judgement of you it's a judgement of the post you made which I quoted in my reply. Not sure why it would require any speculation since it's right there in my post.

You're literally saying nothing but vague things which leads people into trying to figure out what your point is or not replying at all.

371233-Judy-Blume-Quote-Not-everything-h

• Fire 2

371233-Judy-Blume-Quote-Not-everything-h

Very illuminating