Advice on dealing with a PO'd spouse/SO?

Alright, here's the deal. Went to the store to grab milk for the girlfriend this morning because we were out and she wanted cereal.

Thought she would be happy when I got back. Turns out she cleaned up in our bedroom and found a certain prophylactic (old, mashed up, and open) in a pair of my shorts on the floor. Needless to say, we have not been using those. I have NOT cheated on her. That actually has been an issue for me in past relationships, so I've been very open with her about it and honest about how I've worked a lot so that is not an issue for me anymore.

I kind of feel like I just flushed that trust down the toilet. I'm ticked off, because I have no idea where it came from. I seem to have a vague memory of an old one falling out during a recent move and quickly picking it up so my parents wouldn't notice. But I really can't remember.

Anyway, I hope y'all can find some humor in my predicament. She's currently mad at me in the next room, probably unsatisfied with my explanation of "I have no idea."

Any advice for this situation? Also, feel free to share your tips for dealing with unhappy SOs or spouses. Obviously it's probably a way different dynamic if you're actually married...

Update: All is well.

She cooled off after a while and I talked to her again about, reinforcing what I was saying before. I think being open and honest about my past from the get-go was useful here. Much more useful than if I had hid that or never broached the subject.

I think this is a Ron White quote, and I like it very much:

"If you never lie, you can't get caught."

Food for thought, I guess. Feel free to turn this thread into a master list of anything that can get you out of the doghouse with the spouse/SO! I'm sure there's plenty that can keep us poor schlubs out of trouble! :lol:

• Fire 1

My advice is; Spouses and SO's are going to get po'd at you most of the time anyway (it's like their purpose in life...) So, I say give them good reason to be po'd once in awhile. Lord knows they'll get there without good reason plenty so might as well earn the wrath at least some of the time. This provides much needed balance to the relationship. However, I wouldn't suggest the soiled rubber route, especially for those who are married.

• Fire 1

My advice is; Spouses and SO's are going to get po'd at you most of the time anyway (it's like their purpose in life...) So, I say give them good reason to be po'd once in awhile. Lord knows they'll get there without good reason plenty so might as well earn the wrath at least some of the time. This provides much needed balance to the relationship. However, I wouldn't suggest the soiled rubber route, especially for those who are married.

Glad I could give your wife something to bitch about at the game Saturday. I made you look like a god damn hero probably.

• 1 month later...