Nebraska's Michael Rose-Ivey receives racial backlash for anthem protest

One of these two things is not protected under the 1st Amendment and is not allowed in our country as 'free speech'.

I'd have to see where you get this. Making terroristic threats or inciting riots are the only two "speech crimes" of which I am aware.

I just looked up some Supreme Court cases before this post, but feel free to double check.

"It requires specificity, it requires intent, and it requires a sense of imminence." is how one law professor makes the distinction.

Again, can't we just get football with our football? If not, then I guess the floodgates are opened. :dunno

28-311.01. Terroristic threats; penalty.

(1) A person commits terroristic threats if he or she threatens to commit any crime of violence:

(a) With the intent to terrorize another;

(b) With the intent of causing the evacuation of a building, place of assembly, or facility of public transportation; or

© In reckless disregard of the risk of causing such terror or evacuation.

(2) Terroristic threats is a Class IIIA felony.

http://nebraskalegislature.gov/laws/statutes.php?statute=28-311.01

In State v. Schmailzl, supra, we stated that § 28-311.01(1)(a) prohibits a threat to commit a violent crime when the threat is made with the intention of causing "a state of intense fear in another." State v. Schmailzl, 243 Neb. at 741, 502 N.W.2d at 467. In the same opinion, we also equated the intent to terrorize another with the "production of anxiety in another." Id. at 742, 502 N.W.2d at 468. Thus, the intent to terrorize another is an intent to produce intense fear or anxiety in another. However, a critical feature of the statute for purposes of our analysis here is that it merely requires the intent to terrorize another. It does not require that the recipient of the threat be actually terrorized, and it does not require an intent to execute the threats made. See State v. Saltzman, 235 Neb. 964, 458 N.W.2d 239 (1990).

State v. Smith, 267 Neb. 917, 678 N.W.2d 733 (2004).

One party is making a peaceful protest for an injustice they sense, hurting no one. The other is trying to chill the speech of the former through threats of violence. Whether you agree or disagree with MRI's actions, it's clear that the acts of those making threats should be thoroughly deplored.

• Fire 2

There are a handful of douchebags on Twitter embarrassing Nebraska football fans no matter the topic. I'm not at all surprised some of the same idiots harassing high school recruits are trolling Michael Rose-Ivey and his family. These people always impress me as immature kids, and while many of them are, some of them are probably immature adults. But let's not go all "Bo Pelini" and judge every NU fan on the actions of a few anonymous Twits.

• Fire 1

I'm not sure if MRI or for that matter, any players read this board, but I sure hope they don't read this thread.

He is one of the lucky Americans who get put on a National Platform by playing collegiate sports. He is using that platform to make a stance, not to look cool, or hold a foam finger that says HEY LOOK AT ME U GUISE.

Over the last couple days he got the opportunity to address the issue, because he took that stance. What he said was very thoughtful and what we needed to hear, because some of us like me, are tone-deaf to the whole situation.

He talked about coming together in unity, which is exactly what all communities need to do. Hats off to mister Rose-Ivey for using his opportunity in a positive way that will hopefully unite us all.

• Fire 2

I've voiced my opinion on the whole kneeling part because I believe the whole reasoning behind it is total trash (cop shootings) because I have that right.

MRI has the right to protest by kneeling whether we like it or not because it's his constitutional right.

But nobody has the right to attack, threaten, provoke violence or death on anybody because they have a different view of opinions. It's embarrassing to see especially from Husker fans.

I'm done with this kneeling crap and the media blowing every cop shooting out of proportion because it has done nothing but divide this country further apart.

• Fire 4

I'm annoyed that the Nebraska sports media felt the need to make the initial kneeling a story, which I believe then ridiculously prompted the stupid Twitter responses, which then prompted even more stories about the the responses, and now we have the Governor chiming in.

Not what I was hoping for now that the program has some positive momentum and everyone is seemingly supporting the team in unison. I didn't know about the kneeling, nor cared, but the media had to make a thing about it which has morphed now into a bigger thing. Sadly, the media got what it wanted.

• Fire 1

Maybe Rose-Ivey should just stick to football while he is in a Cornhusker uniform.

I also find it ironic that he was all for free speech and making a statement about what he thinks needs to be said until his Twitter account blew up. Then he thinks everybody else should be careful not to offend his mother...yet how many mothers and fathers and family members of others did he offend who were up in the stands?

Still and all, not a big thing, just dumb. I guess Rose-Ivey came to Nebraska for an education. He's getting one now. :P

Your comments in this thread are among the most ignorant I've seen on the internet lately.

There is a historical precedent for black athletes protesting the National Anthem. In my view kneeling quietly or some other form of silent protest is not at all disrespectful. Far too much is being made of this. Is it that surprising given our country's history and the present state of affairs that for some black Americans...and athletes...their feelings about the flag, national anthem, and other symbols of what the country stands for are complicated?

"There I was, the black grandson of a slave, the son of a black sharecropper, part of a historic occasion, a symbolic hero to my people. The air was sparkling. The sunlight was warm. The band struck up the national anthem. The flag billowed in the wind. It should have been a glorious moment for me as the stirring words of the national anthem poured from the stands. Perhaps, it was, but then again, perhaps, the anthem could be called the theme song for a drama called The Noble Experiment. Today, as I look back on that opening game of my first world series, I must tell you that it was Mr. Rickey's drama and that I was only a principal actor. As I write this twenty years later, I cannot stand and sing the anthem. I cannot salute the flag; I know that I am a black man in a white world. In 1972, in 1947, at my birth in 1919, I know that I never had it made."

-Jackie Robinson, "I Never Had It Made," 1972

I believe the whole reasoning behind it is total trash

"While the anthem played, I prayed along with DaiShon and Mohamed, and we asked God to watch over us and protect us, to look down on this country with grace and mercy and to look down on all of us with grace and mercy. You see, we are not perfect beings, but as 2 Corinthians 3:5 says, "Not that we are sufficient in our own selves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God."

Dewiz - have you ever had such an intentional internal thought process standing for the National Anthem? I know I haven't. What could possibly be more patriotic?

Because he has a right as a citizen to excercise his freedom of speech. End of story

Then he needs to put on his Big Boy pants and quit whining when it comes to paying the cost of saying what you think needs to be said.

"Free Speech" isn't free. Never has been, never will be. Many hundreds of thousands paid a bigger price for it than some mean Tweets in both this country and others.

I'll tell you what: I'll buy Michael Rose-Ivey a ticket to the upcoming movie "Hacksaw Ridge" so he can compare his woes to that of Deloss Dodd's service in the U.S. Army during WWII, since they both made a stand and a statement. I will have to say, Dodd's was at least original.

I didn't read any of MRI's words as complaining. Seems like he's just pointing out what's been said.

He feels strongly enough to use his position as a college athlete on a popular football team

Why don't he use his position as a college athlete to play football and leave the politics to the politicians?

because trying to start a conversation to create solutions for some of the injustices going on in society in spite of the backlash is not politics. that's bravery.

and the fact that he knew the backlash was coming from certain quarters doesn't make it hurt any less.

• Fire 3

I believe the whole reasoning behind it is total trash

"While the anthem played, I prayed along with DaiShon and Mohamed, and we asked God to watch over us and protect us, to look down on this country with grace and mercy and to look down on all of us with grace and mercy. You see, we are not perfect beings, but as 2 Corinthians 3:5 says, "Not that we are sufficient in our own selves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God."

Dewiz - have you ever had such an intentional internal thought process standing for the National Anthem? I know I haven't. What could possibly be more patriotic?

I agree, and I think it is much more upsetting when I see people casually walking, texting and talking during the anthem. Basically not paying any attention.

I, and many of my friends, spent a few years toting guns around the desert in the early 1990s so Mr. Rose-Ivey and others (including YOU) could continue to say your piece and express your views. I did not like being there and still wonder whether it was helpful in any way. But a whole bunch of Kuwaitis were awful glad we showed up.

This country was founded on and built for dissent. The flag is a piece of cloth, the song is a ripoff of much older music but with patriotic American lyrics. There is nothing sacred about anything involved except the blood spilled and lives given by those who fought to make sure we all have the right to protest any damn thing we want. I don't care if it's the taste of the water, the treatment of our fellow people, or the color of the sky. Good men and women died so these people could make their political point.

You may or may not agree. You also have the right to protest THEIR protest in your own way. But do not call them un-American. There IS nothing more American than trying to make your voice heard. Boston Tea Party anyone? Kent State?

Because you do not see or agree with their cause does not make it any less important to them. And I would hope we can all agree on that, at least.

See this for the origins of our hallowed anthem: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_Anacreon_in_Heaven#The_earlier_version_of_the_lyrics

+1 Protesting is a double edged sword. I'm interested in the staying power of this cause we all know how fickle the public is I.E. Occupy Wallstreet