Nebraska's Michael Rose-Ivey receives racial backlash for anthem protest

Ok... there were multiple questions within my post. Well then let's remove sarcasm from my post (for your sake). Now please explain the "pretty fine" portion of your post and how it relates to mine. Thanks

First, the end game is progress and awareness. Even if MRI never kneels again he will have accomplished this in his own small context, and will not be a hypocrite for stopping.

Second, the University would care and give time and due diligence in listening to anyone with real perceived slights or injustices.

Ok. That is totally fine. Thank you for fully answering some questions.

1)So this is a protest to raise awareness. No problem. Will he tell us when we are all aware?

2) can I get a list of these "real" injustices? I just want to make sure my injustices are as "real" as the next persons. Does the university have this in writing. I just want to make sure that if they tell me NO, I can say but Landlord said you would listen...

Ok... there were multiple questions within my post. Well then let's remove sarcasm from my post (for your sake). Now please explain the "pretty fine" portion of your post and how it relates to mine. Thanks

First, the end game is progress and awareness. Even if MRI never kneels again he will have accomplished this in his own small context, and will not be a hypocrite for stopping.

Second, the University would care and give time and due diligence in listening to anyone with real perceived slights or injustices.

1)So this is a protest to raise awareness. No problem. Will he tell us when we are all aware?

2) can I get a list of these "real" injustices? I just want to make sure my injustices are as "real" as the next persons. Does the university have this in writing. I just want to make sure that if they tell me NO, I can say but Landlord said you would listen...

Call me crazy, but based on your snide remarks, I think his protest, and our support of it was directed at people like you.

• Fire 1

Call me crazy, but based on your snide remarks, I think his protest, and our support of it was directed at people like you.

I think you miss understand due to text. I am all for the second amendment. Now the "people like you" remark is putting me in a box saying I'm for one side and not the other. That negates the discussion and ultimately the whole protest. Not true. And your assumption of "snide" remarks is just that.. your assumption,not my intent. I came here to have a discussion about this and if you don't like questions you can't answer I apologize.

Getting back to topic, I am all on board for awareness in the proper forum. I just want to know what the end result is. The awareness portion is great but I'm not going to go halfway in over oppression only to find out when he stands up, there are other things being oppressed. I can say I support his protests and not others being oppressed. Then I would feel like a hypocrite. Also, if he wants to elevate awareness and bring everyone together, maybe he should speak in front of congress. We have representatives there for this. It's a win win. Brings people together for a cause instead of dividing people over the arguments that don't have to do with the action.

P.S - If there was a snide remark started, it wasn't by me. Scroll up

I think you miss understand due to text. I am all for the second amendment. Now the "people like you" remark is putting me in a box saying I'm for one side and not the other. That negates the discussion and ultimately the whole protest. Not true. And your assumption of "snide" remarks is just that.. your assumption,not my intent. I came here to have a discussion about this and if you don't like questions you can't answer I apologize.

Getting back to topic, I am all on board for awareness in the proper forum. I just want to know what the end result is. The awareness portion is great but I'm not going to go halfway in over oppression only to find out when he stands up, there are other things being oppressed. I can say I support his protests and not others being oppressed. Then I would feel like a hypocrite. Also, if he wants to elevate awareness and bring everyone together, maybe he should speak in front of congress. We have representatives there for this. It's a win win. Brings people together for a cause instead of dividing people over the arguments that don't have to do with the action.

Misunderstood the tone of your reply to Landlord. My bad.

One of the first significant actionable steps that is happening as a result of this is his meeting with Ricketts this week. That's probably a good first step locally, and I'm sure he will continue to take steps with guidance as to what is practical and manageable considering he is a student first and foremost.

One of the first significant actionable steps that is happening as a result of this is his meeting with Ricketts this week. That's probably a good first step locally, and I'm sure he will continue to take steps with guidance as to what is practical and manageable considering he is a student first and foremost.

After looking yes that does look snide. I do apologize for that and to you Landlord if it came off that way. I enjoy the good discussion in order to peacefully come to common ground.

I do hope you are correct with the Gov. visit and that it yields results. And I hope MRI learns a valuable lesson as well some fans.

At the same token I hope that NU comes out and says that while yes we and the state agree that the first amendment is good, there are ways to get your voice heard without pitting the fan base against each other. I think if a headline came out and said MRI is using these avenues to get his voice out there, you would have a collective clap from all fans.

Ultimately, great discussion but poor method of delivery. both sides won and both sides lost in my mind but time will tell

• Fire 1

After looking yes that does look snide. I do apologize for that and to you Landlord if it came off that way. I enjoy the good discussion in order to peacefully come to common ground.

I do hope you are correct with the Gov. visit and that it yields results. And I hope MRI learns a valuable lesson as well some fans.

At the same token I hope that NU comes out and says that while yes we and the state agree that the first amendment is good, there are ways to get your voice heard without pitting the fan base against each other. I think if a headline came out and said MRI is using these avenues to get his voice out there, you would have a collective clap from all fans.

Ultimately, great discussion but poor method of delivery. both sides won and both sides lost in my mind but time will tell

I agree with that. I hope this doesn't ultimately become a distraction from football in the long run.

From MLK Jr.'s letter from a Birmingham jail, with my own emphasis added.

I must make two honest confessions to you, my Christian and Jewish brothers. First, I must confess that over the past few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season." Shallow understanding from people of good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. Lukewarm acceptance is much more bewildering than outright rejection.

I had hoped that the white moderate would understand that law and order exist for the purpose of establishing justice and that when they fail in this purpose they become the dangerously structured dams that block the flow of social progress. I had hoped that the white moderate would understand that the present tension in the South is a necessary phase of the transition from an obnoxious negative peace, in which the Negro passively accepted his unjust plight, to a substantive and positive peace, in which all men will respect the dignity and worth of human personality. Actually, we who engage in nonviolent direct action are not the creators of tension. We merely bring to the surface the hidden tension that is already alive. We bring it out in the open, where it can be seen and dealt with. Like a boil that can never be cured so long as it is covered up but must be opened with all its ugliness to the natural medicines of air and light, injustice must be exposed, with all the tension its exposure creates, to the light of human conscience and the air of national opinion before it can be cured.

• Fire 3

MRI did get a collective clap from fans, at Saturday's game. I don't think he's the one who needs to learn a lesson from this.

Protests aren't meant to unify the public. They're meant to point out a flaw. Would it be great if everyone were on the same side? Yes. But then either the protest would be useless or there would be no reason to protest.

• Fire 4

From MLK Jr.'s letter from a Birmingham jail, with my own emphasis added.

I must make two honest confessions to you, my Christian and Jewish brothers. First, I must confess that over the past few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season." Shallow understanding from people of good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. Lukewarm acceptance is much more bewildering than outright rejection.

I had hoped that the white moderate would understand that law and order exist for the purpose of establishing justice and that when they fail in this purpose they become the dangerously structured dams that block the flow of social progress. I had hoped that the white moderate would understand that the present tension in the South is a necessary phase of the transition from an obnoxious negative peace, in which the Negro passively accepted his unjust plight, to a substantive and positive peace, in which all men will respect the dignity and worth of human personality. Actually, we who engage in nonviolent direct action are not the creators of tension. We merely bring to the surface the hidden tension that is already alive. We bring it out in the open, where it can be seen and dealt with. Like a boil that can never be cured so long as it is covered up but must be opened with all its ugliness to the natural medicines of air and light, injustice must be exposed, with all the tension its exposure creates, to the light of human conscience and the air of national opinion before it can be cured.

Love MLK and I think he is right on a lot of things, for that time and protest. This is not a protest (if he is kneeling like Colin K.) about segregation or equal rights. It's not about an institutionalized separation of races. It's a perceived belief that black Americans are being systematically targeted by first white cops, then suddenly all cops.

There were no avenues for protest for MLK. That (in my belief) does not exist as much today with open doors and social media. If a Nebraska Football Player wants to be heard in Nebraska, fans will listen. The way to remove half of your potential base is by having them disagree.

Love MLK and I think he is right on a lot of things, for that time and protest. This is not a protest (if he is kneeling like Colin K.) about segregation or equal rights. It's not about an institutionalized separation of races. It's a perceived belief that black Americans are being systematically targeted by first white cops, then suddenly all cops.

There were no avenues for protest for MLK. That (in my belief) does not exist as much today with open doors and social media. If a Nebraska Football Player wants to be heard in Nebraska, fans will listen. The way to remove half of your potential base is by having them disagree.

Fair enough, I would just say two things. First, institutional racial inequality and the disproportionate lethal attention by law enforcement are inextricably intertwined, and both part of the point of all of this, and second that I'd respectfully disagree that MLK had no avenues for protest. I think (and I am not accusing you of this), for too many people, the regrettable conclusion isn't that they disagree with the method or the time/place as they say, but that they really just disagree with the fact that there is protest period. Maybe someone will come up with an effective way in the future that those who disagree with the message of will find to be a perfectly reasonable means of protesting, but I severely doubt that.

MRI did get a collective clap from fans, at Saturday's game. I don't think he's the one who needs to learn a lesson from this.

Protests aren't meant to unify the public. They're meant to point out a flaw. Would it be great if everyone were on the same side? Yes. But then either the protest would be useless or there would be no reason to protest.

You make it seem like "learning a lesson" is a bad thing and should only be used for those in opposition.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, I seriously value your input. But why does a protest have divide the public? Again, the collective clap could be for the right to free speech but against the forum, correct? Does it have to be for or against?

Fair enough, I would just say two things. First, institutional racial inequality and the disproportionate lethal attention by law enforcement are inextricably intertwined, and both part of the point of all of this, and second that I'd respectfully disagree that MLK had no avenues for protest. I think (and I am not accusing you of this), for too many people, the regrettable conclusion isn't that they disagree with the method or the time/place as they say, but that they really just disagree with the fact that there is protest period. Maybe someone will come up with an effective way in the future that those who disagree with the message of will find to be a perfectly reasonable means of protesting, but I severely doubt that.

It is a shame that black Americans and law enforcement clash or at least seems that way more than most. I think we a society take a collective step backwards when one side tries to "win". Police are doing themselves no favors with recent actions, in turn black Americans are doing themselves no favors with protests that turn violent.

Who knows maybe MRI is the next MLK. I do hope that he goes the same route and makes a unifying speech and not a dividing action.

You make it seem like "learning a lesson" is a bad thing and should only be used for those in opposition.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, I seriously value your input. But why does a protest have divide the public? Again, the collective clap could be for the right to free speech but against the forum, correct? Does it have to be for or against?

I don't think it has to be, but in many cases I'm finding it is the case that people who claim to be against the method are really against the cause, but don't want to be forthright about it.

I just don't think it's realistic that a protest won't be divisive. The fact that a protest of a societal problem is necessary is because a high percentage of people are either part of the problem or in denial of the problem (or both). It follows that those people would be in conversations with others on the topic and find themselves divided on the subject.

Heck, Husker nation divided itself over Taylor Martinez. I guess I just don't see fan unity as a reason not to follow your principles.

If the protest was to raise awareness and create a path to better understanding, it has been 100% successful so far.

Or from another perspective, the division was already there, but some people didn't want to talk about it. Which isn't such a great alternative.

I agree if the endstate is awareness, yep for sure Nebraska is now aware, but at what cost? Could this have been a better following if it wasn't against the flag, in uniform, as a guest to another school? I would say that is a better possibility. I guess to get my point across if I was protesting, I would try to sell a unifying idea that everyone can get behind and leave no assumptions with my actions.

• Fire 1