Drop Examples of Indisputable Proof That Systemic Racism Still Exists in Here

Plenty of people in this country, and on this board, are pretty convinced that racism doesn't really exist in our country outside of nefarious backwoods individuals who say n***er. That's pretty crazy, if you ask me. So use this thread as a depository for studies, polls, research, findings, etc., that very very clearly prove this isn't the case. This isn't to make conclusions about liberal/conservative, republican/democratic, police, etc. This is only to document that racism still exists and inequality is still perpetuated inside the systems and institutions in our country. I'll start:

The following chart details people being arrested, so it sidesteps the argument that blacks are disproportionately targeted because they are disproportionately violent or prone to criminal behavior. In other words, police shoot and kill black people they are arresting far more often than they shoot and kill white people they are arresting.

KilledByPolice_circumstances_v3.0.png

These charts detail the comparisons between white/black use of marijuana, and then the comparisons of likelihood to be arrested for it:

young_usage_rates_marijuana.png

neverused_marijuana_by_race.png

marijuana_arrest_rates_by_race_year.png

According to a University of Michigan study: “lack defendants face significantly more severe charges than whites even after controlling for criminal behavior (arrest offense, multiple-defendant case structure, and criminal history), observed defendant characteristics (e.g., age, education), defense counsel type, district, county economic characteristics, and crime rates. Unexplained racial disparities exist across the charge- severity distribution, especially at the high end. The most striking disparities are found in the use of charges that carry non-zero statutory minimum sentences.”

^ link - http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1985377

Black college students have the same chance at getting a job as white high school dropouts. Meanwhile, white males with criminal records are 5x more likely to get a job than an equally qualified person of color with no record at all.

^ https://thinkprogress.org/a-black-college-student-has-the-same-chances-of-getting-a-job-as-a-white-high-school-dropout-b7639607fdf1#.g76a2fu7e

http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/2008/08/09/study-black-man-and-white-felon-same-chances-for-hire/

This chart shows how much more likely minority borrowers are to be rejected for mortgage loans than white people with similar credit scores. Related, pretty much every big bank has paid out hundreds of millions in lawsuit settlements for racial discrimination in these regards:

o-CHART-6-570.jpg

• Fire 4

I'm confused by that first chart. Is the second "bar" a world thing? Above it, it says just US population.

If I am reading the first one right. 63% of whites are killed by police as compared to 13% blacks?

White's being killed have the higher percentage in each one. So, I guess I don't understand your statement above the first chart. I feel like that chart contradicts your statement? Honestly. I have to be reading it wrong.......?

I'm confused by that first chart. Is the second "bar" a world thing? Above it, it says just US population.

If I am reading the first one right. 63% of whites are killed by police as compared to 13% blacks?

White's being killed have the higher percentage in each one. So, I guess I don't understand your statement above the first chart. I feel like that chart contradicts your statement? Honestly. I have to be reading it wrong.......?

The first bar is referencing US population, without regards to arrests/deaths, while the proceeding bars contrast the country's population percentages with the percentages of those killed by police.

• Fire 1

The first bar is referencing US population, without regards to arrests/deaths, while the proceeding bars contrast the country's population percentages with the percentages of those killed by police.

Thanks, LOMS

http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/at-the-edge/2015/05/06/institutional-racism-is-our-way-of-life

A few of the top eye catching stats (this is from 2015):

• About 73 percent of whites own homes, compared to just 43 percent of blacks.
  • The gap between median household income for whites (about $91,000) compared to blacks (about $7,000).
  • The median net worth of white families is about $265,000, while it was just $28,500 for blacks.
  • On the New Jersey Turnpike blacks make up 15 percent of drivers, more than 40 percent of stops and 73 percent of arrests – even though they break traffic laws at the same rate as whites.
  • Qualified black jurors are illegally turned away as much as 80 percent of the time in the jury selection process.
  • About a quarter of juries in death penalty cases have no black jurors, and more than two-thirds have two or less.

What percentage of beating victims during civil unrest are white, anybody know? Because that might point to racism.

A young black male is 60 times more likely to be killed by another young black male than by a police officer of any color...does that mean anything, or is that just the people that they hang around with 60 times more?

• Fire 3

About a quarter of juries in death penalty cases have no black jurors, and more than two-thirds have two or less.

Since blacks make up 13% of the population, this isn't unusual, statistically speaking. Maybe even less so, since one must also factor in how many are registered voters, since that is how the original pool is selected.

One must be careful to pick a number and ascribe some significance to it without factoring in what makes up that number.

• Fire 1

About 73 percent of whites own homes, compared to just 43 percent of blacks.

What is the percentage of two income black families owning homes compared to two income white families?

How about single parent white families owning homes compared to single parent black families?

My guess is that income is more of a factor than race.

• Fire 2

Qualified black jurors are illegally turned away as much as 80 percent of the time in the jury selection process.

Define "illegally turned away"...because aren't most juries picked by the prosecuting and defending attorneys according to their perception of which jurors would be most likely to lean their way?

You people have some bizarre statistics that are just numbers floating out there in space.

Here, let me give you one: Whites were much more likely to be found fighting for the freedom of African Americans than African Americans themselves. Although this is true, does it really say anything of interest? If not, why not?

• Fire 2

Qualified black jurors are illegally turned away as much as 80 percent of the time in the jury selection process.

Define "illegally turned away"...because aren't most juries picked by the prosecuting and defending attorneys according to their perception of which jurors would be most likely to lean their way?

You people have some bizarre statistics that are just numbers floating out there in space.

Here, let me give you one: Whites were much more likely to be found fighting for the freedom of African Americans than African Americans themselves. Although this is true, does it really say anything of interest? If not, why not?

"You people" is a slight bit condescending Bowfin.

Instead of retyping the info you can read all about it, the Supreme Court Ruling, etc. in the following links. Net net is depending on the state each side gets a certain number of strikes, and they have to provide a reason ... some of these have been "he looks like a drug dealer" "They live in a high crime neighborhood" which are obvious etc.:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/02/us/02jury.html?pagewanted=all

http://www.cnn.com/2010/OPINION/06/23/lyon.racial.jury.selection/

https://thinkprogress.org/racist-jurors-are-hidden-from-the-public-this-scotus-case-could-change-that-43cf074c7dcb#.bcnxdfiq9

http://thegrio.com/2010/06/07/blacks-systematically-blocked-from-serving-on-juries-study-says/

http://racialjusticeproject.weebly.com/uploads/6/9/3/9/6939365/eji_race_and_jury_report.pdf

Bowfin, I have little doubt based on your posts over the last few days where you stand on this issue, and that no matter the data, links, opinions or arguments that are presented here that your mind is made up. That's your right. I'm guessing however that this is probably a thread that you'll find very little that you agree with moving forward.

A young black male is 60 times more likely to be killed by another young black male than by a police officer of any color...does that mean anything, or is that just the people that they hang around with 60 times more?

83% of white murder victims are killed by fellow Caucasians...does that mean anything?

• Fire 1

What percentage of beating victims during civil unrest are white, anybody know? Because that might point to racism.

would you like to start with the percentages of black and white lynching victims during the civil rights era? or would you like to go with the percentage of white victims in the tulsa race riots?

on the second thing: of course it means something. just because you don't see protests for them doesn't mean they aren't happening. also, being 60 times more likely to be killed doesn't mean you are "60 times more likely to hang around other black people". its one thing to be killed by someone next to you, (which, funny enough, is a requirement for being killed by someone... how ironic, rght?), and it's another to be killed by those sworn to serve and protect you.

84% of white murder victims were killed by other whites. does that also mean something?

we actually should keep from derailing this thread, and keep to topic, which is posting things that show that there is systematic racism.

others can hep by stating clearly what they think would help show them that there is systematic racism. then the conversation can probably be more productive.