Drop Examples of Indisputable Proof That Systemic Racism Still Exists in Here

Had a colleague this morning state the death toll in N.C. would be much lower if people would have evacuated. I responded by asking how many of those deaths were poor people that did not have the money/tools/access to leave or have someplace to go.

This aspect Hurricane Matthew got me thinking about the systemic/structural racism aspects of Katrina and its aftermath/handling. The below contains shocking revelations like a long history of racism in many parts of this county...

Some reading in case anyone is interested:

http://www.jeanhardisty.com/errant-thoughts/hurricane-katrina-and-structural-racism-a-letter-to-white-people/

http://understandingkatrina.ssrc.org/Gilman/

http://monthlyreview.org/2006/07/01/hurricane-katrina-the-race-and-class-debate/

I will be curious to see the demographic analysis on those impacted the most by this storm. My prayers go out to everyone affected by this tragedy.

• 2 months later...

Of course theres still some racism around. How long were blacks/nonwhites considered just slaves? Hundreds of years? How long have we finally decided to try and make change? 150 years. Its gonna take time to get rid of it just like any change. It sucks but its just gonna take time. Its not happening as quick as any of us would like, especially now in a world where everything is almost instant, patience is lost. Good thing is that now kids are so ingrained and "addicted" to electronics and social media that they dont have time for racism so things may start to change sooner. Of course im half kidding, but also half not. Change can spread quicker nowadays with internet/social media. So it should soon move from racism to social mediaism.

I feel like people have completely forgotten what the word privilege actually means ever since it started being used as a common rhetorical tool in race discussions.

The fact that I have a modest online following of my work is an absolute privilege that I am super thankful for.

Having a mother that loves me to death and won't ever let me struggle too hard is an amazing privilege.

Being able to live in Chicago and be so close to so many B1G road game destinations is a privilege I feel pretty fortunate for.

Not everyone has the things that I have. It doesn't mean I should feel bad about having them, or that I don't deserve them. Similarly, sometimes, the lacking general privileges that people face are tied more to large groups moreso than individuals, and sometimes more to things like race, socioeconomic status, and other elements out of their control, and also similarly, some of those privileges are exacerbated or encouraged by our government.

Maybe the omaha expressway is a bad example. Move off it, then. Talk about the actual problem - unless you think there isn't one, in which case just come out and say so.

How about almost every time a person of color cleary commits a crime (caught on camera) their ethnicity is not reported while looking for the POS, yet when a supposedly white person supposedly commits a crime the perp is described as white.

That is clearly systematic racism.

You're dreaming.

• Fire 4

Sure there's racism. But it's mostly individuals who are racist--not the government and (mostly) not industry. There are a lot of programs and practices in place that actually favor minorities. Affirmative action. Race based promotion policies in gov't and large companies. Race preference in college admissions and scholarship. Race based set asides in defense acquisition contracts, and other gov't agencies. The list goes on. If someone is smart and ambitions in America, race won't hold them back.

• Fire 2

Sure there's racism. But it's mostly individuals who are racist--not the government and (mostly) not industry. There are a lot of programs and practices in place that actually favor minorities. Affirmative action. Race based promotion policies in gov't and large companies. Race preference in college admissions and scholarship. Race based set asides in defense acquisition contracts, and other gov't agencies. The list goes on. If someone is smart and ambitions in America, race won't hold them back.

You're also dreaming. Read the thread.

• Fire 1

You're also dreaming. Read the thread.

No, I'm not. Read my post.

I would argue that it's institutions that are racist more so than individuals. Hence the reasons for those programs meant to elevate. While minority outreach programs can be well-meaning and appropriately targeted, they can only do so much to offset the differences that accrue starting from birth, and are often enforced at the systemic rather than individual level.

The idea that racism is over and won't hold anyone back anymore is a comfortable ideal, I think, but it's also a fiction. It bears arguing against because it's often used to buttress support against further effort efforts to level the field, or for rolling back existing initiatives in ways as naked as "Let's figure out the ways black people like to vote and make it harder so as to depress turnout."