Will Protests and Backlash Affect Recruiting?

ADS

Can't wait for someone to try and blame this on the protesting players.

Might have more to do with the Regent than the players.

That's what I'm saying but i think there will be some in the fan base that think if the players would have just stood respectfully and not protested this wouldn't be happening.

I'm sorry bud... but that's the issue with America right now. Personally, I think it's an issue that won't go away any time soon. We forget that the Civil Rights movement is just now going on 50 years old. There were kids growing up in the 60s who, regardless of what was happening, still had parents teaching them unnecessary hate for those of color. And it's something that has been so ingrained in a lot of those people that I'm not sure we can do much to change them besides letting them grow old.

Ben, I'd challenge you to show me another university who would have been as supportive as the fans and administration have been here.

It pains me to say this, but it's the truth... if you think there is a college football program out there without a single white fan who sees you and others of color as nothing more than entertainers who should play football and keep quiet, you're delusional. It's not the way it should be, and we need to fix that. But it's the way it is right now, and it's sad.

• Fire 2

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/columnist/nicole-auerbach/2016/09/28/nebraska-national-anthem-protest-michael-rose-ivey/91222512/

I think it's important to balance this other side as well. The University is doing great. We cannot control our fans or regents, but the University is world class in this. Athletes are going to get threats and weird reactions, that's unfortunately part of the game.

https://nebraska.edu/president/speeches-and-communications/president-bounds-statement-on-free-speech

• Fire 3

I'm sorry bud... but that's the issue with America right now. Personally, I think it's an issue that won't go away any time soon. We forget that the Civil Rights movement is just now going on 50 years old. There were kids growing up in the 60s who, regardless of what was happening, still had parents teaching them unnecessary hate for those of color. And it's something that has been so ingrained in a lot of those people that I'm not sure we can do much to change them besides letting them grow old.

Ben, I'd challenge you to show me another university who would have been as supportive as the fans and administration have been here.

It pains me to say this, but it's the truth... if you think there is a college football program out there without a single white fan who sees you and others of color as nothing more than entertainers who should play football and keep quiet, you're delusional. It's not the way it should be, and we need to fix that. But it's the way it is right now, and it's sad.

I can't blame the recruit though. They are more likely to see negative reactions, headlines, etc. Hopefully he will also be shown how well most of the University has handled things.

Can't wait for someone to try and blame this on the protesting players.

Might have more to do with the Regent than the players.

That's what I'm saying but i think there will be some in the fan base that think if the players would have just stood respectfully and not protested this wouldn't be happening.

Its honestly a mix of both going on, and I also agree with AtBone that this is the nature of this country right now. There is so much divisiveness every where you turn, and has gotten noticeably worse these past 7 years. The whole anti-cop sentiment which has been supported by many on the Progressive left have fueled many of the riots we have seen in the past few years, and while there are certainly bad cops out there, 99% are good and risking their lives everyday to protect us and our communities. It's ironic that the man who campaigned on bringing this country together will leave office with the country further apart than it has been since the 1960s.

Having lived in Lincoln for a few years, it's an awesome town, and I never once witnessed any hostile acts of racism, whether its black on white, white on black, or some other races involved. It's a great town with very loving and supportive people, so any of these crazies making racist comments do not reflect what Lincoln and Nebraska are about. Anybody from any part of the country can jump in on a forum and make insensitive comments, but it does not speak for Nebraskans.

I might be getting this wrong, but is a kid from the south with its deeply entrenched history of racism, say he won't come here because of some stuff MRI said?

Every fan base has its idiots, but Nebraska had been playing Black kids since 1891. ya know, when it wasn't cool all across the country, and missouri forfeited a game because they didn't want to play on the same field as a black guy.

If this kid thinks we are all bunch of racists because MRI wants to make a statement and got the inevitable backlash from the village idiots then he maybe needs to take a harder look at the schools he is considering. Minus 2 other northern schools all are southern schools and all of them didn't play and deliberately prohibited black players from playing well into the twentieth century, let alone even attending school there.

History doesn't lie, and if he doesn't want to come here because of racism than he's narrowed his school choices down to nearly zero. so have fun with that.

• Fire 3

I might be getting this wrong, but is a kid from the south with its deeply entrenched history of racism, say he won't come here because of some stuff MRI said?

Every fan base has its idiots, but Nebraska had been playing Black kids since 1891. ya know, when it wasn't cool all across the country, and missouri forfeited a game because they didn't want to play on the same field as a black guy.

If this kid thinks we are all bunch of racists because MRI wants to make a statement and got the inevitable backlash from the village idiots then he maybe needs to take a harder look at the schools he is considering. Minus 2 other northern schools all are southern schools and all of them didn't play and deliberately prohibited black players from playing well into the twentieth century, let alone even attending school there.

History doesn't lie, and if he doesn't want to come here because of racism than he's narrowed his school choices down to nearly zero. so have fun with that.

Well said...there are idiot posters all over, and there are many who simply do not agree with protesting the national anthem despite recognizing individuals have a right to do so. As I said in my post, having lived in Lincoln, it's one of the nicest and most welcoming places you could ever be in.

His issue isn't that MRI spoke up, or what MRI said ... it's the reaction of people up here. I think from the content of the rest of your message you're totally on point, but felt like that needed to be pointed out.

On a side note, I think this kid had little interest in us anyway. This just gives him a very public excuse to put out there to get some attention himself. (flights from TN aren't that hard to come by - we have a lot of kids coming from further and from more rural spots that figure out a way to make it to game day because it's a priority to them). He is Louisville 100% (imho).

On a second side note - I think we'll see fall out from this, but in a positive way. The university leaders (except for that one dink) the student body, the athletic department and the bulk of the state have overwhelmingly supported the stance these players took. I'd think that will carry far more weight for recruits on the fence, and for parents who are thoughtfully considering where to send their kid to school.

• Fire 1

His issue isn't that MRI spoke up, or what MRI said ... it's the reaction of people up here. I think from the content of the rest of your message you're totally on point, but felt like that needed to be pointed out.

On a side note, I think this kid had little interest in us anyway. This just gives him a very public excuse to put out there to get some attention himself. (flights from TN aren't that hard to come by - we have a lot of kids coming from further and from more rural spots that figure out a way to make it to game day because it's a priority to them). He is Louisville 100% (imho).

On a second side note - I think we'll see fall out from this, but in a positive way. The university leaders (except for that one dink) the student body, the athletic department and the bulk of the state have overwhelmingly supported the stance these players took. I'd think that will carry far more weight for recruits on the fence, and for parents who are thoughtfully considering where to send their kid to school.

Completely agree with this.

Its honestly a mix of both going on, and I also agree with AtBone that this is the nature of this country right now. There is so much divisiveness every where you turn, and has gotten noticeably worse these past 7 years. The whole anti-cop sentiment which has been supported by many on the Progressive left have fueled many of the riots we have seen in the past few years, and while there are certainly bad cops out there, 99% are good and risking their lives everyday to protect us and our communities. It's ironic that the man who campaigned on bringing this country together will leave office with the country further apart than it has been since the 1960s.

Sure, it's obviously the fault of all the people that don't agree with you politically.
  • Fire 2