Vice Presidential Debate

While VP debates normally play an insignificant role in the election, I am wondering with the age of the 2 Presidential candidates, and their high negative ratings, if this year's VP debate may play a greater role. I think nearly all of us agree that the 2 VP candidates are better than the tops of the tickets. The one time I believe a VP debate mattered was in 2000 when Cheney and Lieberman faced off. It was a very good debate and both candidates were genuine and honest. There were many questions about whether Bush was ready for the job, so Cheney helped voters feel more comfortable about Bush. Meanwhile, Palin really hurt McCain in 2008. With that sadi, here are a few questions:

1. What are you looking for in the VP debate?

2. Who has the more difficult job?

3. Who do you think will win the debate?

I believe redout22 said the VP debate would likely decide who gets his vote. I'd imagine there's a small but significant group of people who feel that way.

I have no idea what to expect. I don't really know too much about either of their policy. They both seem like standup guys. I know Tim Kaine is a man of absolutely impeccable character. Pence is immeasurably more well spoken than his running mate.

Pence obviously has the tougher job. He has to manage the cognitive dissonance of never knowing what views his running mate has when he wakes up that morning. Pence has, from my understanding, rock solid principles. I think most of them are absolutely wrong principles that I disagree with, but he has consistent views. His running mate does not.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Pence has to pretend he's running his own campaign distinct from his running mate. He's off on his own little island sometimes.

Don't know what to expect. Hoping Kaine beats Pence like a rented mule. Having Pence in charge of the country scares me just about as much as his running mate.

Excellent post bni - I have the same questions. My answers:

1. Clearer picture of key issues for the candidate and their respective ticket, and solutions they're considering.

2, Pence. He has to defend all the random comments, statements and etc that Trump spouts when he's not thinking (which is kinda often) - I think it has harmed his reputation and the history he has in politics. Each time I see him on tv and he's spending his time saying things like, "That's just Donald." or "That was said in jest".

3. I've been absolutely impressed with Kaine the more I've heard from him - now perhaps Pence brings similar experiences and content to this debate, but what I've seen thus far is him just trying to limit the damage Trump has done, and very little else of content.

Added comment - I absolutely do not want them getting into the bs mudslinging that their candidates have been doing. I want them to focus on the job, their experience, their priorities, their suggested actions, etc.

I believe redout22 said the VP debate would likely decide who gets his vote. I'd imagine there's a small but significant group of people who feel that way.

I have no idea what to expect. I don't really know too much about either of their policy. They both seem like standup guys. I know Tim Kaine is a man of absolutely impeccable character. Pence is immeasurably more well spoken than his running mate.

Pence obviously has the tougher job. He has to manage the cognitive dissonance of never knowing what views his running mate has when he wakes up that morning. Pence has, from my understanding, rock solid principles. I think most of them are absolutely wrong principles that I disagree with, but he has consistent views. His running mate does not.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Pence has to pretend he's running his own campaign distinct from his running mate. He's off on his own little island sometimes.

Don't know what to expect. Hoping Kaine beats Pence like a rented mule. Having Pence in charge of the country scares me just about as much as his running mate.

Pence is a standup guy. I know you have presented some standard DNC talking points against him, but he is an exceptionally good guy. I agree with NM that I hope they focus on the issues, and if they do that, I think Pence comes out ahead. Whether we are talking about terrorism, trade and the economy, or border security, I think the GOP ticket has the issues on their side which is why HIllary refuses to focus on issues and is baiting Trump into less important topics like statements made 20 years ago (which he is being dumb and taking the bait).

You and I definitely live in two different realities, my friend.

But I did say Pence is a good guy. None of these are talking points. There just my opinions. You have yours, and they're much different. That's probably why we each feel strongly that our respective parties have the stronger tickets that focus on issues that the majority of Americans care about.

I would not expect much mud-slinging from these two. They're both issues oriented, rather than insult oriented, politicians.

I don't think it will be that important, although it probably should be since either one of those Buttheads has a higher chance of getting impeached than most of their predecessors did when they started.

I do think it was important with Palin because she was SO bad it seemed all of the attention on the McCain campaign was on her. Biden mopped the floor with her.

I made the horrible mistake of looking back at their debate and I'm so mad at Biden for not running this time. He has gaffes but he doesn't approach Trump or Clinton and he doesn't have the baggage of either of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89FbCPzAsRA?t=1h19m4s

After the Biden/Ryan debate I wasn't sure who won.

I look for this to be a pretty civil exchange. Both are pretty solid (from their own perspectives) policy wise. They are both thinkers and have depth.

Kane has to avoid coming across as "Howdy Doody' - he appeared that way at the convention to me (too much 'awe shucks am I really up here?). He just seemed funny in a <_< kind of way.

Pence has to come across as empathetic and not just 'deep' policy wise.

They both have to outshine the mistakes at the top of the ticket - they may have to step in. Hillary might get caught in an indictment and Trump may get impeached due to incompetence.

I don't see either one of them dragging out mud from the bottom of the barrel.

This is the case were the bottom of both tickets are better than the top.

• Fire 1

I don't think it will be that important, although it probably should be since either one of those Buttheads has a higher chance of getting impeached than most of their predecessors did when they started.

I do think it was important with Palin because she was SO bad it seemed all of the attention on the McCain campaign was on her. Biden mopped the floor with her.

I made the horrible mistake of looking back at their debate and I'm so mad at Biden for not running this time. He has gaffes but he doesn't approach Trump or Clinton and he doesn't have the baggage of either of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89FbCPzAsRA?t=1h19m4s

After the Biden/Ryan debate I wasn't sure who won.

If Biden was the democratic nominee, I'd for sure vote for him. Was pretty irritated he didn't run, he would've slaughtered Hilary.

I look for this to be a pretty civil exchange. Both are pretty solid (from their own perspectives) policy wise. They are both thinkers and have depth.

Kane has to avoid coming across as "Howdy Doody' - he appeared that way at the convention to me (too much 'awe shucks am I really up here?). He just seemed funny in a <_< kind of way.

Pence has to come across as empathetic and not just 'deep' policy wise.

They both have to outshine the mistakes at the top of the ticket - they may have to step in. Hillary might get caught in an indictment and Trump may get impeached due to incompetence.

I don't see either one of them dragging out mud from the bottom of the barrel.

This is the case were the bottom of both tickets are better than the top.

Very well stated. I think this will be similar to the 2000 debate with Cheney and Lieberman which focused heavy on policy and went light on attacks. I agree that Kaine is a bit goofy while Pence is more statesmanlike, but they were both picked for a reason to complement their counterparts.