Uncovering Corruption in the Chicago Police Department

I am in the middle of part 2 of this 4 part series. I honestly find this fascinating.

LINK

Two Chicago police officers uncovered a massive criminal enterprise within the department. Then they were hung out to dry.

I don't believe this is rampant in every police department but, at the same time, it's nothing new.....especially in this area. Back in the 1930s, this same area had major corruption in the police department helping the Italian Mob. Cicero isn't that far away.

I don't AT ALL disagree with the sentiments of "99% of cops are good at their job and good people." Most cops are good people trying to earn a living and get home safe. But at the same time, maybe not most, but way too many cops get thrust into a system influenced by the top-down that they become complicit in for fear of rocking the boat, imo. The DOJ has found at least two protested departments rife with racial discrimination now, and there's no way people can say Chicago is the only major city with a network of dirty cops. Chicago is dirty as hell, no doubt, but does the, "99% of cops are good" motif really help us dissect what allows this stuff to fester? Or just ignore it?

If it's such a small percentage of cops that give shame to the profession, I'd think that people are very pro-police would be the most outraged at improprieties committed by fellow officers, you know?

• Fire 1

Wow....I just got through the entire story. It is very well investigated and written. It really explains the depth of the problem and how it spills over into multiple agencies and departments.

Duke....I fail to see how political parties make a difference. This corruption has been happening in the Chicago police department clear back in the Al Capone era.

• Fire 1

Also apologies, didn't mean to go on any kind of a soapbox.

Living here and knowing some people well connected, the story couldn't be more spot on from what I've been told and seen. Thankfully, because of my societal standing, it doesn't really effect me too much. Having to pay $13 for a pack of cigarettes sucks though.

• Fire 1

Is there a political party or movement that isn't corruptible? We could give someone other than Democrats power in Cook County. Why would it be any different if we did?

how bout a billionare that is a non-politician?

One who bribes a State Attorney General through a fraudulent "charity" foundation?

Is there a political party or movement that isn't corruptible? We could give someone other than Democrats power in Cook County. Why would it be any different if we did?

Mark Cuban would actually probably be a pretty damn good President, I agree.

i would vote for him too.

i would vote for him too.

I would definitely vote for Mark Cuban. I actually really like the idea of an outsider billionaire whatever shaking things up.

But just because AN outsider billionaire would be good, doesn't mean ANY outsider billionaire would be good, and I'm sorry to say, Trump is not good.