Available Coaches

A lot of those guys in the OP who will likely be fired this year were the hottest coaches in the land within the past couple of years. Funny that. :lol:

Yea I agree with this. I think Stoops and Kelly stay though, and I wonder who USC gets if Helton gets canned. Herman will probably stay, but anything can happen with the coaching business.

Charlie Strong is gone and I think he'll go to a G5 school.

Herman seemed intent to stay in Houston last year and I'm not so sure that will change much this year.

Helfrich finishes below .500 and he's gone. Same with Kelly, Helton, Gus, and Mora.

Shaw and Stoops are fine. OU could still win the Big XII.

I think Mike Gundy may be open to a new path as well. IMO

Agree. Living in Tulsa I see and hear stories of major donor Boone Pickens being on Gundy all of the time for not beating OU more often. I think it is getting pretty old and Mike gets tired of answering questions concerning Boone's comments.

• 3 weeks later...

There is a real chance that this is the list of available coaches at the end of this season:

Les Miles ✅

Mark Helfrich

Charlie Strong

David Shaw

Tom Herman

Gus Mulzahn

Clay Helton

Brian Kelly

Bob Stoops

And I'm not interested in any of them. Just riled up about Riley!

Looking at your list, I think Gus and Stoops are safe for another year.

I'll add Mora to your list. UCLA is a trainwreck right now. He's had one foot out the door for years, I think the AD gives the nudge and goes in a new direction. You could potentially have these historically significant schools looking for coaches, plus all the other middle of the road P5 schools (Missouri, Tennessee, Kansas, Kansas State (Snyder is going to retire again soon) Georgia Tech and Virginia could all have openings as well)

USC

UCLA

Notre Dame

Texas

LSU

If those 5 are looking, Herman would be stupid to stay at Houston. And you might see someone like Frost only last at UCF for one year before moving up to a bigger level school. Should be a crazy off season starting here in a few weeks.

There is a real chance that this is the list of available coaches at the end of this season:

Les Miles ✅

Mark Helfrich

Charlie Strong

David Shaw

Tom Herman

Gus Mulzahn

Clay Helton

Brian Kelly

Bob Stoops

And I'm not interested in any of them. Just riled up about Riley!

Looking at your list, I think Gus and Stoops are safe for another year.

I'll add Mora to your list. UCLA is a trainwreck right now. He's had one foot out the door for years, I think the AD gives the nudge and goes in a new direction. You could potentially have these historically significant schools looking for coaches, plus all the other middle of the road P5 schools (Missouri, Tennessee, Kansas, Kansas State (Snyder is going to retire again soon) Georgia Tech and Virginia could all have openings as well)

USC

UCLA

Notre Dame

Texas

LSU

If those 5 are looking, Herman would be stupid to stay at Houston. And you might see someone like Frost only last at UCF for one year before moving up to a bigger level school. Should be a crazy off season starting here in a few weeks.

Virginia literally just hired Bronco Mendenhall so that's not happening.

USC found a quarterback and is rolling right now, couldn't see them going through another coaching change.

UCLA is having a bad year, but only way Mora is leaving is if for whatever reason a NFL team hires him. Rosen is hurt and will be back next year that'll certainly buy Mora another season.

Notre Dame, I just don't see Brian Kelly getting fired but then again Auburn fired Gene Chizik a couple years after WINNING the national title, so who knows.

That leaves LSU and Texas as the most likely landing spots for Tom Herman. Honestly, with how the LSU administration handled Les Miles last season, and with Texas being a mess, I wouldn't want to go to either of those schools if I was Herman. He's a young guy, only 41 and with the way he's been recruiting at Houston he'll continue to have success there. He can be patient and wait for the perfect opportunity to come up, maybe when Saban retires and takes over Bama, or if Harbaugh leaves for the NFL and takes Michigan, maybe takes over Meyer at Ohio St, or even Bob Stoops at Oklahoma. Coaches like a chance to succeed, but they also appreciate stable administrations

I think Mike Gundy may be open to a new path as well. IMO

Agree. Living in Tulsa I see and hear stories of major donor Boone Pickens being on Gundy all of the time for not beating OU more often. I think it is getting pretty old and Mike gets tired of answering questions concerning Boone's comments.

I live about 50 miles north of you, and I'm not convinced that he's done at OSU.