Available Coaches

My guesses.

Herman to Texas.

Ed O probably playing for his job at LSU and needs a win @ TX A&M. Otherwise look for Art Briles to LSU. They have the DC with Aranda but need a change in offensive philosophy which has plagued them.

I think the other coaches the OP listed are all safe.

Mora Jr. may be in trouble.

Rumors here are that, if ASU loses to UofA, that may be the end for Todd Graham in Tempe. After two 10 win seasons, the wheels have completely fallen off, especially for the defense. When you claim to be a defensive genius and have the worst pass defense in the country two years in a row, that doesn't sit well.

Rumors here are that, if ASU loses to UofA, that may be the end for Todd Graham in Tempe. After two 10 win seasons, the wheels have completely fallen off, especially for the defense. When you claim to be a defensive genius and have the worst pass defense in the country two years in a row, that doesn't sit well.

What's going on with both schools down there? Seems like a dumpster fire all the way around.

What's going on with both schools down there? Seems like a dumpster fire all the way around.

UofA has really struggled with injuries and a lack of depth. But, from what I understand, Rich Rod is safe. They are looking at this week's game as their bowl game, because it would keep ASU from getting that 6th win for bowl eligibility.

For ASU, I think Todd Graham has worn out his welcome. He had some success early on, but a lot of the credit is being given to Dennis Erickson's recruiting efforts. The last two years have been very disappointing, especially last year with all of the publicity they were getting and predictions of big success. But I think the struggles on defense have been what really bothers people. Plus, the AD was brought in after Graham was hired, so there are rumblings that he wants to bring "his own guy" in to coach the team; not sure who that would be.

ASU is weird. 80k+ students, beautiful campus, but they always seem to be middle of the pack in football and basketball. They are dumping a lot of money into the athletic program and Sun Devil Stadium, so I think they are going to be expecting better results, and they aren't sure that Graham is the guy to bring them.

I still can't get over how bad of coaches some people must be to not win at some programs. USC. If you can't win there you are terrible. ND, if you can't win there you are terrible. ND gets recruits every year from all over that leave me scratching my head as to why they would commit there because ND hasn't been good since Lou Holtz days. USC barely has to recruit outide of their city let alone outside of their state. Both programs should probably pull a Michigan and find the highest profile alum and higher them

I still can't get over how bad of coaches some people must be to not win at some programs. USC. If you can't win there you are terrible. ND, if you can't win there you are terrible. ND gets recruits every year from all over that leave me scratching my head as to why they would commit there because ND hasn't been good since Lou Holtz days. USC barely has to recruit outide of their city let alone outside of their state. Both programs should probably pull a Michigan and find the highest profile alum and higher them

It's a weird deal definitely. But youre dealing with human beings, with real emotions and real minds. There's so much more to coaching success than just lining up the best and rolling the ball out. There are sooooo many examples and instances that the best player isnt always the best player. There has to be a degree of fit, both schematically and mentally. Bottom line is, it's just hard to win at any program anymore. It just is.

I dont think Michigan just picked out the highest profile alum. They were just fortunate that one the best coaches out there with one of the highest degrees of national stardom happened to be an alum. Is it possible 5-10 years down the road we could be in that boat with Frost? Possibly. But you dont have to have an alum. How many former USC or ND alums are good football coaches? i think some of these big name programs-and I think you could even put Nebraska in this-have an entitled attitude. There's just too much living in the past and being complacent becuase of what was. There's too much balance and too much parity in the game anymore. Another thing is that is has become such a big business with huge money implications, and in this world of social media where every Joe Schmo has a voice on twitter, mb's, facebook, etc, the pressure and feel of pressure to win big and win now and win constant is more felt by the coaches and it seems like the days of coaches staying at a place for a long period of time or gone. Becuase you either win big right away or you get canned. Or, you do you win big right away, then take a step back (because you cant stay on top forever) but you've already generated ridiculous expectations and the pressure gets higher and you either cave to it and get fired or bolt. Very few coaches have shown the resolve to persevere through their own expectations. We shall see if guys like Dantonio can push through. Saban comes to mind as a guy that has. I doubt Brian Kelly gets a chance. Even Urban Meyer hasnt shown yet that he's capable of such an act.

The recruiting sites want you to believe there's a massive difference in the amount of talent at the top 10 programs versus, say, the 20th to 40th program.

There simply isn't. So while talent helps, only average coaching will produce, at best, only slightly above average results. Because a 30th ranked roster can easily beat a 5th ranked roster if the coaching at #30 is great and the coaching at #5 is only average.

What is dangerous is when you have a top 20 roster and top 10 coaching. That's the recipe for a lot of wins.

And of course a top 5 roster with top 10 coaching (e.g., Alabama) is a recipe for dominance .

The recruiting sites want you to believe there's a massive difference in the amount of talent at the top 10 programs versus, say, the 20th to 40th program.

There simply isn't. So while talent helps, only average coaching will produce, at best, only slightly above average results. Because a 30th ranked roster can easily beat a 5th ranked roster if the coaching at #30 is great and the coaching at #5 is only average.

What is dangerous is when you have a top 20 roster and top 10 coaching. That's the recipe for a lot of wins.

And of course a top 5 roster with top 10 coaching (e.g., Alabama) is a recipe for dominance .

So what metrics should be used to identify Top 10 coaching? I know Dave Bartoo has a coaching metric, but I'm not sure how reliable it is.

Where would you rank Pelini's coaching and his rosters?