Back In My Day...

I remember when the first music video came out and we would stay up late to watch Friday Night Videos.

When only one of my "rich" friends had a VHS recorder and it was HUGE.

Two words - Trapper Keeper. I never actually owned one ... too expensive.

Young pup. I was in college at UNL when MTV started.

• Fire 1

More coming back to me now.......Frogger, Pac-Man, Yars Revenge, Missle Command, Q*bert, Space Invaders, Galaga, Some sort of tank game I can't quite remember the name of on the Atari. Never having more than one working controller and the fights over it that it caused.

Edit: Ha! Been so long I even called it by the wrong name. One working JOYSTICK.

We had cable TV when I was a kid, but we had the selector that was connected to the TV by a long cord with these huge selector buttons on it.

Snap bracelets

Pencil fighting

Big Wheels, my kids don't really get into these, but that's because the ones we have are boring, I had a GI Joe one that was bada$$!

We had cable TV when I was a kid, but we had the selector that was connected to the TV by a long cord with these huge selector buttons on it.

Snap bracelets

Pencil fighting

Big Wheels, my kids don't really get into these, but that's because the ones we have are boring, I had a GI Joe one that was bada$$!

Did you have the original big GI Joe or the ones of my generation that were smaller and millions of different characters?

Back in my day we played desktop football with paper you folded into a triangle.

One of the best games out there was Electric Football with the metal vibrating field.

That was replaced by Coleco's hand-held electronic football, which was a complete piece of garbage but super exciting at the time.

The arcade version that put those to shame was Atari's X's & O's Football with the rollerball that you would wind up and hit with the palm of your hand to get your guy to speed down the field, or catch your opponent's player. Hurt my hand playing that many times.

Speaking of arcade games, back in my day Dragon's Lair was the ultimate cutting edge video game. I think it cost 75 cents or $1 to play instead of a quarter.

Push-button radio changers in the car.

Making your own tape of a copy of your friend's copy of a copy of a copy of a copy of some song you liked. Sounded like you were rubbing a steel wool Q-tip your ears as you listened to it.

That chunking sound the 8-track made when you switched tracks.