Huskers back in the top ten (AP & Coaches) after 5-0 start

knapplc

You're not back. You start thinking you're back too early and you'll be humbled.

Where did anyone say this??

In the thread title? :dunno

Ummmm.....if we are in the top 10 and this is the first poll in the top 10 since the last time we were in the top 10......isn't that technically...."back in the top 10" and not saying it too early?

• Fire 2

You're not back. You start thinking you're back too early and you'll be humbled.

Ummmm.....if we are in the top 10 and this is the first poll in the top 10 since the last time we were in the top 10......isn't that technically...."back in the top 10" and not saying it too early?

I think you need to hover your mouse over the text of my reply.....

Ha ha! Yeah, true enough, *back* to the top 10. But back when we had a GOOD teamduring our dynasty years of the 90sa #10 ranking would have been a disappointment. We will truly be back, as a program, when a #10 ranking is again considered a disappointment. We're still a ways away from that level at present. As everyone here well knows.

Indiana is a good football team that i am concerned about playing. However, you could look at this years Nebraska team as 2015 Iowa team the way their schedule is shaping up. Are we really the #10 team in the country? I don't know, we've shown we can be, and we've shown we could blow this thing quickly. Regardless, I am going to enjoy this ranking for as long as we have it. I also feel this team is much better then and more capable of the ranking then the 2011 #9 ranked Nebraska team. I feel this team can hang with anyone, that '11 team I felt was going to get blown out against a team with a pulse.

• Fire 1

Didn't we just have a thread a few weeks ago asking if we are back?

yes

Next 4 weeks will tell us alot. By then we will be to the committees poll. There are alot of different scenarios but I'll simplify

4-0 would obviously put us into the top 4 I believe, assuming Ohio State doesn't drop the next 3 games.

3-1 would likely put us in the top 10 but going as low as 15 would be possible. Still would be in title contention unless we lost to an undefeated Wisconsin.

2-2 would likely put us into the 20-25 range but possibly we would be unranked. We lose any chance at the CFP and most likely take a backseat in the race for the west

1-3 would definitely drop us out of the rankings and would make winning the west nearly impossible

0-4 this would be a complete implosion and would take us out of the race for the west, struggling to make a bowl and likely putting HCMR on a very hot seat

I guess since we are really banged up and we have been accustomed to let downs in the past I can understand everyone preparing themselves for a heartbreaking loss. I'm just not tham impressed by Indiana. Sure they are better than usual, but I think if we play smart they will be pretty ineffective. Just my two cents.

A) It wouldn't be a heartbreaking loss.

B) It's possible to think we'll struggle in this game, or that we could lose, without it being attributed to PTSD from past Husker teams.

C) It's fine that you're not impressed by them. Let's compare their numbers to Nebraska's:

Indiana

• @ Florida International 2-4 (Beat FAU and UTEP) - Indiana won 34-13

• Ball State 4-2 (Beat FAU, NIU, Georgia St and e. Kentucky) - Indiana won 30-20

• Wake Forest 5-1 (Beat Duke, Syracuse, Indiana, Delaware St and Tulane) - Indiana Lost 28-33

• Michigan State 2-3 (Beat Furman and Notre Dame) - Indiana Won 24-21

@ Ohio State 5-0 (Beat BGSU, Tulsa, OU, Rutgers and Indiana) - Indiana lost 38-17

PPG - 26.6 (81st)

PAPG - 25 (55th)

Opponent's Combined Record - 18-10

Strength of Schedule - 57th

Nebraska

• Fresno State 1-5 (Beat Sacramento State) - Nebraska won 43-10

• Wyoming 4-2 (Beat Illinois State and Colorado State) - Nebraska won 52-17

• Oregon 2-4 (Beat California-Davis and Virginia) - Nebraska won 35-32

• Northwestern 2-3 (Beat Duke and Iowa) - Nebraska won 24-13

• Illinois 1-4 (Beat Murray State) - Nebraska won 31-16

PPG - 37 (33rd)

PAPG - 17.6 (17th)

Opponent's Combined Record - 10-15

Strength of Schedule - 82nd

We are definitely a better team on paper. Nobody is disputing that. But the amount that we're better is open to some interpretation, and doesn't have any super compelling evidence either way. Given that this is a sport (aka something where you don't know what will happen), that it's the B1G, that they played OSU tough, and that we have hardly played anyone with a pulse to test the true merit of our own team, it's not unreasonable to expect this game to be a dogfight.

A) Losing to Indiana would break my heart, theres just no reason for it.

B) We have struggled at one time or another in every game thus far, it's not unexpected.

Their body of work is only impressive because they kind of hung with Ohio State for a while, the game was over by the 4th quarter. If we emulate the Buckeye gameplan a bit we should be fine, 4th quarter is our best quarter. It's not going to be a cakewalk, but I don't expect a dogfight either.

Wait a minute.

You didn't mention that Nebraska beat Wyoming which beat Air Force which beat Navy which beat #6 Houston.

• Fire 1

I guess since we are really banged up and we have been accustomed to let downs in the past I can understand everyone preparing themselves for a heartbreaking loss. I'm just not tham impressed by Indiana. Sure they are better than usual, but I think if we play smart they will be pretty ineffective. Just my two cents.

B) It's possible to think we'll struggle in this game, or that we could lose, without it being attributed to PTSD from past Husker teams.

C) It's fine that you're not impressed by them. Let's compare their numbers to Nebraska's:

Indiana

• Ball State 4-2 (Beat FAU, NIU, Georgia St and e. Kentucky) - Indiana won 30-20

• Wake Forest 5-1 (Beat Duke, Syracuse, Indiana, Delaware St and Tulane) - Indiana Lost 28-33

@ Ohio State 5-0 (Beat BGSU, Tulsa, OU, Rutgers and Indiana) - Indiana lost 38-17

PPG - 26.6 (81st)

PAPG - 25 (55th)

Nebraska

• Fresno State 1-5 (Beat Sacramento State) - Nebraska won 43-10• Wyoming 4-2 (Beat Illinois State and Colorado State) - Nebraska won 52-17

PPG - 37 (33rd)

PAPG - 17.6 (17th)

We are definitely a better team on paper. Nobody is disputing that. But the amount that we're better is open to some interpretation, and doesn't have any super compelling evidence either way. Given that this is a sport (aka something where you don't know what will happen), that it's the B1G, that they played OSU tough, and that we have hardly played anyone with a pulse to test the true merit of our own team, it's not unreasonable to expect this game to be a dogfight.

B) We have struggled at one time or another in every game thus far, it's not unexpected.

Their body of work is only impressive because they kind of hung with Ohio State for a while, the game was over by the 4th quarter. If we emulate the Buckeye gameplan a bit we should be fine, 4th quarter is our best quarter. It's not going to be a cakewalk, but I don't expect a dogfight either.

Wait a minute.

You didn't mention that Nebraska beat Wyoming which beat Air Force which beat Navy which beat #6 Houston.

Goes without saying. Obviosuly we are a top 5 team, duh!

Indiana

PPG - 26.6 (81st)

PAPG - 25 (55th)

Nebraska

• Fresno State 1-5 (Beat Sacramento State) - Nebraska won 43-10

• Wyoming 4-2 (Beat Illinois State and Colorado State) - Nebraska won 52-17

PPG - 37 (33rd)

PAPG - 17.6 (17th)

Wait a minute.

Good point ........... Nebraska gets no respect. :B)

What did you think the MSU score would be last year? Not many people gave NU a chance to keep it close, let alone win. How about the Iowa and UCLA games? After two decades of lowering expectations, Husker fans are damaged goods.

Indiana has improved. Indiana is a good team. Nebraska is better.

I was worried we wouldn't be able to hang with Sparty, but then we did. A week after Purdue, that was really a surprise.

So I think Nebraska's the kind of team that can play the right game and play with anybody. It's also the kind of opponent for Indiana that, if they play their game they can hang with us.

If NU beats Indiana 38-17, it's a really solid showing. Not "it took an off day, and their best." Just trying to keep the expectations steady. Nebraska is better, but it's a reasonably tough matchup.

I didn't mean to single you out. I find myself agreeing with your posts almost every time I read one. But your post reminded me of Husker fans saying things like, "Tommy had an interception but how many did the opposing defense drop?" Which totally overlooks the fact that other QBs also have bad passes not intercepted, in addition to their interceptions. That kind of thing. Husker fans seem particularly myopic.

Anyway, you're right that Indiana is good, and the schedule gets tougher. The AP had a story today about it

The Cornhuskers so far have played the 106th-toughest schedule, according to the NCAA, with four of their five wins against teams that now having losing records and are a combined 6-12. The remaining schedule ranks third-toughest, with the seven opponents a combined 23-9. All of them having winning records.

-------------------------------------------

What did you think the MSU score would be last year? Not many people gave NU a chance to keep it close, let alone win. How about the Iowa and UCLA games? After two decades of lowering expectations, Husker fans are damaged goods.

Indiana has improved. Indiana is a good team. Nebraska is better.

I was worried we wouldn't be able to hang with Sparty, but then we did. A week after Purdue, that was really a surprise.

So I think Nebraska's the kind of team that can play the right game and play with anybody. It's also the kind of opponent for Indiana that, if they play their game they can hang with us.

If NU beats Indiana 38-17, it's a really solid showing. Not "it took an off day, and their best." Just trying to keep the expectations steady. Nebraska is better, but it's a reasonably tough matchup.

I remember last year after the Purdue game, I was looking for tickets to take the family and everyone thought I was nuts because we were going to get absolutely blown out.

I got free East Stadium tickets to the MSU game last year because people were so down on NU. Turned out to be the best game experience I've ever had in Memorial Stadium.

• Fire 2

It's clear from this that you've not read many of the threads on HB. Not only is nobody saying this, there has actually been quite a bit of hand wringing and criticism over the past couple of weeksespecially since a couple of the teams we beat have themselves gone on to lose more games. Sure, we're not close to being "back" when you consider where we were 20 years ago. But I say let's enjoy the unblemished record while it lasts. And if the coaches and AP writers both want to put us in the top 10 for the time being, well, all the better! :lol:

Just trying to keep you f'ers humble.

The main thing I am seeing here is the highest score Indiana has accumulated has been 34 against FIU. I honestly expected more out of their offense. They have a strong run game that we have been pretty solid at defending.

I think you're going by last year. Indiana is only #80 in the country in rushing this year and #85 in scoring offense. Last year they were #26 and #24. Last year we were #32 in yards per rushing attempt allowed. This year we are #102.

Isn't that inflated by the Oregon game mostly? Indiana doesn't have near the speed to stretch the defense that Oregon does. Ohio state is the only other team I think that can this year. Also, aren't Indianas running backs both more brusiers than slashers? Just honest questions

It's clear from this that you've not read many of the threads on HB. Not only is nobody saying this, there has actually been quite a bit of hand wringing and criticism over the past couple of weeksespecially since a couple of the teams we beat have themselves gone on to lose more games. Sure, we're not close to being "back" when you consider where we were 20 years ago. But I say let's enjoy the unblemished record while it lasts. And if the coaches and AP writers both want to put us in the top 10 for the time being, well, all the better! :lol:

Just trying to keep you f'ers humble.

Im way more than humble. I think most of us are. Just watching us play, we are no where near the top echelon of teams right now.

Indiana

@ Florida International 2-4 (Beat FAU and UTEP) - Indiana won 34-13

Ball State 4-2 (Beat FAU, NIU, Georgia St and e. Kentucky) - Indiana won 30-20

Wake Forest 5-1 (Beat Duke, Syracuse, Indiana, Delaware St and Tulane) - Indiana Lost 28-33

Michigan State 2-3 (Beat Furman and Notre Dame) - Indiana Won 24-21

PPG - 26.6 (81st)

PAPG - 25 (55th)

Nebraska

Fresno State 1-5 (Beat Sacramento State) - Nebraska won 43-10

Wyoming 4-2 (Beat Illinois State and Colorado State) - Nebraska won 52-17

Oregon 2-4 (Beat California-Davis and Virginia) - Nebraska won 35-32

Northwestern 2-3 (Beat Duke and Iowa) - Nebraska won 24-13

Illinois 1-4 (Beat Murray State) - Nebraska won 31-16

PPG - 37 (33rd)

PAPG - 17.6 (17th)

Wait a minute.

But Rutgers is better. So we're no better than #2.

http://www.myteamisbetterthanyourteam.com/default.asp?sport=CFB&winner=Rutgers&loser=Houston&year=2016&method=2