Tackling

My favorite stop was on the 4th and 4 from NU's 33 yard line in the 3rd quarter. Indiana tried to have that mobile QB run on a QB keeper. Gerry filled the running lane and did miss the initial tackle, but then Kieron (I think) came right behind Gerry to grab the QB around the 30-31, then just as the QB was about to stretch out for the first down marker, Banderas lowered the boom on the QB and stopped him a yard short of the first down.

That was good tackling by Kieron (again, I think) and pursuit by Banderas to finish the play.

I really, really wish we had another season with Bando and Gerry.

Bando is replaceable, but Gerry will be tough to replace.
Gerry's been a fun player to watch the last few years. One guy to watch out for at his spot next year is Jojo Domann. He's made some nice tackles on special teams, and the coaches thought he was too talented to redshirt.

Really like this defensive staff addressing areas for improvement, and then improving on those said areas. Can't wait for this redemption game against Purdue Saturday! GBR

My favorite stop was on the 4th and 4 from NU's 33 yard line in the 3rd quarter. Indiana tried to have that mobile QB run on a QB keeper. Gerry filled the running lane and did miss the initial tackle, but then Kieron (I think) came right behind Gerry to grab the QB around the 30-31, then just as the QB was about to stretch out for the first down marker, Banderas lowered the boom on the QB and stopped him a yard short of the first down.

That was good tackling by Kieron (again, I think) and pursuit by Banderas to finish the play.

I really, really wish we had another season with Bando and Gerry.

Bando is replaceable, but Gerry will be tough to replace.
Gerry's been a fun player to watch the last few years. One guy to watch out for at his spot next year is Jojo Domann. He's made some nice tackles on special teams, and the coaches thought he was too talented to redshirt.

Really like this defensive staff addressing areas for improvement, and then improving on those said areas. Can't wait for this redemption game against Purdue Saturday! GBR

Nice point on Domann.

couple games ago I noticed him and thought "who the hell is that". That, uh, is gonna be a big boy player here in the next couple year. fire in the belly is first step. he's got that.

Tackling had been one of my major beefs about the Pelini era. Those teams often seemed to think they were playing X-Box or something. They made every effort to 'blow up' the ball carrier and make it look as devastating as possible. But this also resulted in too many ball carriers regaining their balance and sprinting away. My complaint was that we were not wrapping up, grabbing the ball carrier in a hug, and dragging them to the turf.

To my discredit, I haven't really paid attention to this aspect so far this year. Whatever we're doing so far is working. Are we wrapping up or just much improved at blowing up the carriers?

Thanks for any thoughts.

• Fire 1

Tackling had been one of my major beefs about the Pelini era. Those teams often seemed to think they were playing X-Box or something. They made every effort to 'blow up' the ball carrier and make it look as devastating as possible. But this also resulted in too many ball carriers regaining their balance and sprinting away. My complaint was that we were not wrapping up, grabbing the ball carrier in a hug, and dragging them to the turf.

To my discredit, I haven't really paid attention to this aspect so far this year. Whatever we're doing so far is working. Are we wrapping up or just much improved at blowing up the carriers?

Thanks for any thoughts.

The defense started to utilize rugby style tackling in the offseason. This was Riley's idea, and Banker was somewhat against it at first. It seems to be working so far.

Just watched some videos on rugby style tackling. I definitely see it in the Huskers D. And it looks great. It is a combination of 'blow them up' along with push them back, and go for the waist. This will also limit targeting penalties, assuming it is followed properly. And if you catch a runner at the right angle you can completely stop forward momentum and perhaps prevent the extra yards sometimes gained.

I LOVE it. It has to be executed well, but as long as it is taught well I think it will work.

Thanks Coloradohusk, I appreciate the insight. I like what I am seeing. Will it work against OSU, Michigan, Wisconsin? We'll see. I think it will.

Seriously, look at this rugby tackling (at least the first 2-3 minutes): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1etzT-Cgho

Now look and see how Pat Fischer did that 40 some years ago and see if they don't seem similar: https://taylorblitztimes.com/2013/07/03/the-soul-of-the-game-pat-fisher/

I know I am repeating a post, but this was a 5'7" 170 pound guy who was known as one of the best tacklers in the NFL at that time...and he was a Cornhusker.

I think things like the rugby style will save the sport. Gotta get back to the substance of the game. Getting guys to the ground. Not the sydney dean show of trying to just blow guys up.

The hits where you annihilate your opponent are fun to watch when its your team doing the hitting, but they probably aren't necessary.

I'm all for this rugby style tackling if it eliminates the targetting penalties we've gotten in the past.

I think they lack good technique for the most part. They seldom seem to take them on the thighs and wrap up the legs. Far too many tackles by the line and linebackers are at the chest and shoulder level. The result is too many yards after contact. Some of the players seem to think the battering ram technique is a good tackle.

I think they don't maintain their lanes well during their pass rush. A QB lick JT Barrett will pick up many third and longs with his legs. Our pass coverage is good but our rush is slow.

I think they lack good technique for the most part. They seldom seem to take them on the thighs and wrap up the legs. Far too many tackles by the line and linebackers are at the chest and shoulder level. The result is too many yards after contact. Some of the players seem to think the battering ram technique is a good tackle.

I think they don't maintain their lanes well during their pass rush. A QB lick JT Barrett will pick up many third and longs with his legs. Our pass coverage is good but our rush is slow.

Wow. reading this you'd think we'd been giving up 500 yards and 40 points a game.

is there anything they do well?

The result of tackling at the chest and shoulders is not extra yards. That is the exact technique taught to stop 'leaky' yardage. You tackle high to stand them up, stop momentum, and either wait for help or drive them back. Extra yardage comes from tackling low and the runner falling forward or keeping his balance and dragging the tackler for a few yards.