Lincoln Atheists forced to remove billboard

Lincoln atheists billboard coming down

“The Good Life without God?” the sign reads. “It’s possible. Visit us at LincolnAtheists.org.”

According to Lamar’s statistics, the south-facing junior poster makes an average of 26,218 impressions a week. The text, printed atop an outline of the state of Nebraska, was set to be on display for a month.

But then several people threatened to stop doing business at the gas station/store, and the sign's coming down early, according to correspondence between Lamar’s Lincoln general manager and the Lincoln Atheists.

Here's the billboard that was so offensive it had to be taken down:

W4qUwiL.jpg?1

• Fire 1

The irony? That organization probably got far more publicity by having their sign taken down than they would have if it had stayed up the full month. Anyway, since they (almost certainly) received a refund for the billboard being taken down I'm sure we can look forward to more signs like that popping up around Lincoln.

• Fire 2

Meh. Im not atheist. but i respect their right to be able to advertise in such a way. Im not the type that says "eeewww. atheist. quit forcing your beliefs on me". i feel like l have enought self control to ignore it if I dont like it just do me. But here's where it's tricky in my eyes. Other folks do have the right to say "hey, i dont like that so i dont think i'll stop here anymore" and the business owner than has to right to refuse the service. I wouldnt complain. And I wouldnt refuse the service. But i recognize the rights by all. i also recognize that some christianity advertisement wouldnt draw criticism at all. At the end of the day, everyone should just shut the hell up and go about their day.

• Fire 1

Agree, Count. I think the Atheists should be able to advertise without fear of repercussion just the same as Christians or Buddhists or Muslims. I also understand that people have the right to not shop somewhere because they don't like the message the place is proffering. I find it ironic in an America where Christians decry persecution that this happens, though.

The weirdest thing to me is - why are Atheists advertising in the first place? Why get organized, why have a group? Is it a support group? The point of atheism is that they are NOT theists. I am NOT a Country Music fan. Nobody knows that because I don't put up billboards saying, "Don't listen to Country Music, just like me!" I don't see the point in that.

Seems like this group might be less "A" theist and more "Anti" theist. And that's silly.

• Fire 1

Meh. Im not atheist. but i respect their right to be able to advertise in such a way. Im not the type that says "eeewww. atheist. quit forcing your beliefs on me". i feel like l have enought self control to ignore it if I dont like it just do me. But here's where it's tricky in my eyes. Other folks do have the right to say "hey, i dont like that so i dont think i'll stop here anymore" and the business owner than has to right to refuse the service. I wouldnt complain. And I wouldnt refuse the service. But i recognize the rights by all. i also recognize that some christianity advertisement wouldnt draw criticism at all. At the end of the day, everyone should just shut the hell up and go about their day.

That's the way I feel, Count. +1. I'm a Christian, but I respect their right to air their views. Sure, I don't agree with what this organization stands for, or what they believe. But why let it ruin your day?

Agree, Count. I think the Atheists should be able to advertise without fear of repercussion just the same as Christians or Buddhists or Muslims. I also understand that people have the right to not shop somewhere because they don't like the message the place is proffering. I find it ironic in an America where Christians decry persecution that this happens, though.

The weirdest thing to me is - why are Atheists advertising in the first place? Why get organized, why have a group? Is it a support group? The point of atheism is that they are NOT theists. I am NOT a Country Music fan. Nobody knows that because I don't put up billboards saying, "Don't listen to Country Music, just like me!" I don't see the point in that.

Seems like this group might be less "A" theist and more "Anti" theist. And that's silly.

just to nitpick. Your analogy about the music would be more parallel if instead of saying "dont listen to country music" it said "here. listen to rock and roll". I know what youre saying in what "a-theist" actually means, but most ppl, including myself. casually see it as just another belief-or lack thereof. Which is why i dont understand why ppl have to be so weak minded that they let something like a little bill board cause so much gruff. it's my job as a person and parent to be able to sort through these type of things. they are the results of our freedoms. Things like this? Theres not right or wrong answer.

I find it strange that anybody on either side of this cares. If you don't like the sign or the message, ignore it and/or don't patronize those responsible. Simple. And I really don't understand why or how an atheist organization organizes and tries to convince people to join their way. What can they offer other than "don't do what you're doing"? They've got nothing to offer. I think knapp hit it on the head, they seem to be anti-theist more than atheist and I dont see the point in that. Guess I don't have to...I didn't pay for the sign and it doesn't matter to me at all. They can advertise all they want, only the weak would be affected and if somebody is that weak, maybe they need to look elsewhere for answers.

According to the article, the sign was an attempt to create a community for any atheists that may be interested. I have a lot of friends that are atheist or agnostic but are active in organized religion because of the events & sense of community. I can see where the non-profit's head is on this.

I agree with everyone else; it's too bad people get offended so easily. I could understand taking issue with the sign if it more explicitly denounced God but I think the sign was in good taste. People are free to shop or not shop wherever they please. As Covey stole it from the Prayer of St Francis - "seek first to understand and then be understood".

• Fire 1

According to the article, the sign was an attempt to create a community for any atheists that may be interested. I have a lot of friends that are atheist or agnostic but are active in organized religion because of the events & sense of community. I can see where the non-profit's head is on this.

I'm trying to imagine what that community would entail. I picture it like a group of folks getting together and absolutely NOT talking about Alabama football.

"Hi everyone, welcome to the meeting."

A chorus of "Hi, Doris" greets her.

"Today on the agenda we have nothing. Nothing at all. But remember folks, no matter what you do or what you talk about, DO NOT talk about Alabama. No mentions of the Crimson Tide, nothing about Nick Saban, no discussion of their current or past dynasties."

"So what should we talk about, Doris?"

"I don't know and I don't care. Anything at all. Just not Alabama."

That seems like a weird community.

A lot of is centered around finding a welcoming environment for people who have struggled being able to be honest and open about the things they do (or don't) believe due to familial/societal pressures that can come with declaring yourself an atheist.

A lot if is also centered around humanism, which is a belief very often joined at the hip with atheism, and something people can easily find common ground with.

• Fire 3

I'm trying to imagine what that community would entail. I picture it like a group of folks getting together and absolutely NOT talking about Alabama football.

"Hi everyone, welcome to the meeting."

A chorus of "Hi, Doris" greets her.

"Today on the agenda we have nothing. Nothing at all. But remember folks, no matter what you do or what you talk about, DO NOT talk about Alabama. No mentions of the Crimson Tide, nothing about Nick Saban, no discussion of their current or past dynasties."

"So what should we talk about, Doris?"

"I don't know and I don't care. Anything at all. Just not Alabama."

That seems like a weird community.

I doubt it would be that explicit. It would be an ability to talk with people about anything that share a core belief (atheism). One of the churches near me sponsors paintball for its parishioners. Other than the opening prayer, God/Jesus/Bible is not discussed. It's a community building activity and most everyone that shows up shares similar core-beliefs. They enjoy being around others with similar beliefs. Those beliefs color one's interpretation of the world but it doesn't mean that is the topic of conversation.

Not everyone needs that but I can see where some would find it attractive, especially in areas where organized Religion is so prevalent.

People in general have a need for belonging. Look at all the specialized dating sites for farmers, Christians, Hebrews, bikers, Gluten-free, cat lovers, ghost-hunters, genetic matches, etc. List goes on forever. There is similar diversity in professional organizations.

It was obvious that scenario was tongue-in-cheek. I was trying to address your repeated comments about this being strange/weird...

It's not nearly as weird as the Crazy Cat Lady Convention/community imo but I know how much your age group LOVES cats...

https://www.facebook.com/events/236800593186055/

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/08/us/at-catcon-breaking-a-stereotype-in-ears-and-whiskers.html

http://gizmodo.com/the-first-ever-cat-convention-pretty-much-broke-the-int-1710712325