Chalk talk breaks down Lockdown U

I've really enjoyed these articles but I'm pretty confused by this:

Banker’s modus operandi this year focuses on two core principles. One, stop the run by freeing up the Blackshirts linebackers to attack the line of scrimmage. They do have coverage responsibilities, but by frequently playing his base Quarters for much of the year, Banker has permitted his linebackers to play run first while knowing they’ve got safety help behind them on play action. Two, keep everything structurally sound in the secondary to prevent the long pass play.

First, I really don't think we played much if any Quarters this year. At least, nothing close to what we were playing last year. It looks to me like it's mostly been a Cover 3 base which is what several media members were reporting in Fall Camp.

Second - just being nit-picky and a smart-@$$ - has core principle #2 changed since last year. Because that could explain a lot. :P

Only a few minutes before this play, the Hoosiers ran through $450,000 worth of punt protection to force a Nebraska safety.

I'm not really sure what he means by this comment. I mean, we don't pay the players, right?[/size]

;)

I think he means the amount of money we waste on our special teams cordinator. 2 blocked kicks in 7 games and a punt return game that is abismal that unfortunately has been wasted when we have tremendous talent.

Only a few minutes before this play, the Hoosiers ran through $450,000 worth of punt protection to force a Nebraska safety.

I'm not really sure what he means by this comment. I mean, we don't pay the players, right?[/size]

;)

I think he means the amount of money we waste on our special teams cordinator. 2 blocked kicks in 7 games and a punt return game that is abismal that unfortunately has been wasted when we have tremendous talent.
I knew someone would bite.

I was being sarcastic......

Maybe I should put a permanent disclaimer in my signature.

Great article! Watch Gerry on the Jones interception video. He comes all the way from the other side of the field, instantly sees the INT (Jones caught it in stride with momentum), and quickly crossed IN FRONT OF a speeding Jones to make the block that freed him up to score.

Dude is football fast.

That is why I think Nate will have a very good NFL career. He is not only football fast/quick but very smart. He has really taken on the leadership - Defensive quarterback role this year. After the disaster that was last year, he has really stepped up. It is nice to have 2 great lock down guys like Jones and Gerry back there. No element of the team is an island. If we have strong safeties, it helps the linebackers to be strong as the article states, which helps the D-line to be stronger. I wish Gerry had one more remaining as I think this D will only get better next year. Our new D-line coach has affected the whole D as well. John Parrella was a wonderful hire.