Play some of the young healthy offensive lineman against Wisconsin

airboose

Why isn't Cavanaugh playing some of the young healthy offensive lineman if the starters are clearly injured? Isn't NU better off with a healthy lineman, rather than guys limping the entire game with zero push on the line of scrimmage?

Clearly the young guys aren't ready to be thrown into game situations. I'll trust the coaches' judgement there, as it's what Coach Riley said in his press conference last Monday.

To say our line got "zero push" is ludacris. I recall at least two QB sneaks where our banged up offensive line paved the way to two first downs.

IMO the reason our Oline is struggling is because they're having difficulty maintining blocks. Probably because it's tough for a lineman (or anyone) to move laterally at 100% with a sprained ankle.

I hope to God our Oline can get healthy, because they were clearly the weakest link on our team yesterday. GBR

• Fire 2

And let's be honest here, we need mobile O-Linemen to help alleviate opponents putting eight (or nine, on occasion w/Purdue) in the box to stop our running game. Stretch/boundary plays and screens are hard to pull off with an O-Line with bum wheels.

If anything, our staff needs to seriously rethink their philosophy of not subbing O-Linemen during the game--let our kids with bum wheels start, but spell them with the young'uns. Part of our injury problems, IMO, are borne from this.

And let's be honest here, we need mobile O-Linemen to help alleviate opponents putting eight (or nine, on occasion w/Purdue) in the box to stop our running game. Stretch/boundary plays and screens are hard to pull off with an O-Line with bum wheels.

If anything, our staff needs to seriously rethink their philosophy of not subbing O-Linemen during the game--let our kids with bum wheels start, but spell them with the young'uns. Part of our injury problems, IMO, are borne from this.

This is why we miss Cethan Carter so much. Basically a faster offensive lineman who can shut off the edge defender to the inside

Let's also be honest. Tommy hasn't been sharp as he looked at times earlier in the season and has had some bad habits revert. Also, No Westy and Carter is more problematic than maybe we thought it would be. There were 2 TD's there for the taking in the 4th that Tommy missed. Purdue stacked the box and Nebraksa did not take enough advantage. On the positive side, it did not look like Tommy tweaked his ankle again this week. Maybe he will be the healthiest next week that he has been in a month.

From the post-game interview with OC DL:

Reporter: Are there any offensive linemen we can turn to, when our guys are beat up?

DL: well, we have what we have on our team, ... so, we're not bringing in anybody. We don't have any 'free agency'!

Reporter: I mean, is there anybody younger?...

DL: We've got some guys that we're gonna have to look at. But at the same time, we're not going to be able to make a bunch of wholesale changes. We're not burning redshirts, or any of that kind of stuff.

Let's also be honest. Tommy hasn't been sharp as he looked at times earlier in the season and has had some bad habits revert. Also, No Westy and Carter is more problematic than maybe we thought it would be. There were 2 TD's there for the taking in the 4th that Tommy missed. Purdue stacked the box and Nebraksa did not take enough advantage. On the positive side, it did not look like Tommy tweaked his ankle again this week. Maybe he will be the healthiest next week that he has been in a month.

could have easily won 41-14 yesterday. Tommy cannot miss those opportunities going forward. If we have 2 wide open touchdown passes overthrown against Wisconsin we lose that game. I believe we will get at least one of those opportunities, and if Tommy makes Wisconsin pay we will be in great shape.

Reminds me of Martinez vs Lee when Martinez was injured. The staff kept Martinez in and it ruined him IMO. He never got right. Same thing with the injured OL. No way is a kid with less knowledge going to do worse than an OL with a bum wheel. Especially as mentioned above. We have lost some of our play book with Carter out and the injured starters unable to kick out and pull..... Rotate the young guys in and let them get the experience. Not every down, but save the starters when possible.

• Fire 1

yep. anytime this question of personnel gets brought up, some of the staff really seem to get defensive. i don't understand why. see langsdorf above, and regarding wilbon last year, among others. see cavanaugh last year regarding oline rotation. i think substitution is very important, even if just for a play or 2. but it's the staff's call.

However, its fairly simple, imo. if you are needing two years plus to get a scholarship player ready to hold his own or spell a starter in the big ten against purdue, you are doing it wrong.

• Fire 1

yep. anytime this question of personnel gets brought up, some of the staff really seem to get defensive. i don't understand why. see langsdorf above, and regarding wilbon last year, among others. see cavanaugh last year regarding oline rotation. i think substitution is very important, even if just for a play or 2. but it's the staff's call.

However, its fairly simple, imo. if you are needing two years plus to get a scholarship player ready to hold his own or spell a starter in the big ten against purdue, you are doing it wrong.

So much this. The worst teaming the B1G against the run. IIRC, they are like 125th in the FBS......

• Fire 1