Adults in the Locker Room- 2nd Half Adjustments

TGHusker

https://www.landof10.com/nebraska/changes-in-the-halftime-locker-room-demeanor-help-nebraska-finish-strong

I think this is a good article reflecting the changes in the locker room after last year and especially over the Bo years. Last year there was a player distrust in the coaches and with each other. Now it seems the players believe in each other and in the system. The coaches make good adjustments which seemed to rarely happen in the previous years under Bo.

No yelling or screaming, just calm discussion about what needs to be done to win the game. Coach demeanor has a lot to do with team performance.

It said they didn't change anything at halftime.

“Bottom line was nothing changed,” Banker said. “We just get back to basics.

I would agree that most "halftime adjustments" don't result in any big changes. The coaches and the players talk about the game, the coaches tell the players that this is what we expected them to do, so we should know how to fix it.

Most teams tend to run what they do a majority of the time, because it's tough for coaches to break tendencies, and it's tough for teams to be successful when they try something different because they don't have the reps doing that.

Look at what happened when Purdue tried 2 trick plays. They failed miserably and they led to 10 NU points.

it all amounts to understanding the process of an entire game, and having the mental stability to constantly analyze what youve seen early in the game and use that info to better yourself throughout the game. I jsut dont feel there's enough of this resolve in the game anymore. Too much overreaction. To much kneejerk. This understanding of a full game is top notch. Cuz after all, it's all about the win. And this team is battle tested. And the mental resolve is really cool to see again.

what good does screaming at anyone ever do? The style of the previous coach- in your face and hyper emotional, can temporarily work but it wears thin and is one dimensional. Not to mention it's just ugly and life draining.

I don't yell, hardly at all when I coach in a game or at practice. It just isn't really who I am. I have had some great teams and some crappy ones.

I also know coaches that yell and freak out all the time, I don't like coaching with them but some of them are awesome and some suck.

It really just depends. But, to pretend like only one way works isn't fair and probably isn't honest.

As far as halftime "adjustments" There are not really a lot that get made. There are little things like "Hey, when we run this why don't we try reaching or scooping" or "When we do this route make sure that you flatten it out a bit"

what good does screaming at anyone ever do? The style of the previous coach- in your face and hyper emotional, can temporarily work but it wears thin and is one dimensional. Not to mention it's just ugly and life draining.

I don't yell, hardly at all when I coach in a game or at practice. It just isn't really who I am. I have had some great teams and some crappy ones.

I also know coaches that yell and freak out all the time, I don't like coaching with them but some of them are awesome and some suck.

It really just depends. But, to pretend like only one way works isn't fair and probably isn't honest.

As far as halftime "adjustments" There are not really a lot that get made. There are little things like "Hey, when we run this why don't we try reaching or scooping" or "When we do this route make sure that you flatten it out a bit"

Yeah, what you say is pretty true IMO. Most of the adjustments that take place are just reinforcements of things that were taught during the week. Very rarely did we ever try something drastically different. There is a difference between being loud and yelling and being negative in your yelling. Some coaches yell all the time and are very positive.

Yeah, what you say is pretty true IMO. Most of the adjustments that take place are just reinforcements of things that were taught during the week. Very rarely did we ever try something drastically different. There is a difference between being loud and yelling and being negative in your yelling. Some coaches yell all the time and are very positive.

Oh yeah, for sure!

Also, some of the biggest loudmouths at practice and games are the nicest guys away from the field.

I coached this year with a loud positive guy...it was freaking awesome! So many "God Blessed you guys!" haha

i dont ever yell at my kids when I'm coachin either. but i will be blunt honest. And the first thing I do is make for damn sure they understand it's good for them. I had to do this just this past saturday morning. horrible first half. Slept through it. didnt play well. I just set em down at half and say "you guys know I love you right? You know I care right?" they say yes. then it's "would it do any of you any good for me to tell you this is going well, and youre playing well?". they all say no. theyre engaged and paying attn. Then I get into the opint. I say "this is garbage". I'm not yelling. Just talking. then i go into specifics of what needs to be done better. I just think that folks can take this "not yelling" thing to far to that extreme and make it feel like constructive criticism is bad too. I see both extremes in youth sports esp. Guys that yell too much with no substance, and the guys who are just simply afraid to coach the kids.

I want my son's baseball coaches to yell more while they are coaching the base paths. Not so much to "yell at the players like they are mad at them" but just so they can be heard by the players.

Yelling positive is OK - it is the negative that breaks the will to succeed. Regarding half time adjustments, it was evident so often during Bo's reign that adjustments weren't being made - even the type you mention - the little things, the reinforcement, etc. Perhaps there was too much negative reinforcement. Regardless, this coaching staff doesn't seem to panic and that spills over to the players.

I would think yelling or ranting infrequently could be effective.

see Auggie Garrido's. Caution, lots of language infractions. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Is6xa3UlTYs