OSU Spread

Somethin like 94% of the money as of yesterday was on Nebraska? And the line wasnt moving. Now I'm not much about the spreads and gambling. But vegas dont get rich by bein stupid. So that makes me nervous.

I mean... It's not like Vegas is playing the game themselves. Usually they're pretty knowledgeable, but this was just a bad spread.

OSU fans are as terrified about this game as we are. They say they are not the least bit confident about their offensive ability against our D after the NW game.

Cool, because they feel deep down they are beatable (and not invincible).

And also, because the Huskers are a good football team. They SHOULD feel worried.

:bonesflag:

• Fire 1

Somethin like 94% of the money as of yesterday was on Nebraska? And the line wasnt moving. Now I'm not much about the spreads and gambling. But vegas dont get rich by bein stupid. So that makes me nervous.

I know very little about betting so if this is a stupid question, I apologize. But if that big a % is on Nebraska, how are they not moving the line. Isn't their deal that they try to balance the money on each side?

While I think it is certainly possible we play well enough to even win, I would say, if we stay within 21 we'll be doing well. If we played 10 times, the average Ohio marin of victory would be around 18. Our offense is just not functioning at a very high level right now. I think three weeks ago, we could stay within about 13 or so but now we are not playing well enough in my view. Too many injuries and we are too predictable and have apparently run out of new ways to move the ball and score. I still feel we might win once in ten tries. They are better than Wisconsin by a couple scores or more and we played them as well as we can reasonably expect and fell short by 6. One can't argue we deserved to win although we played well enough to win with just a little bit more help from the refs. I recall Wisconsin having only about 1 or 2 penalties for not much effect on the game. We should have had a couple pass interference and holdings as well which would have really helped our cause.

What if we played 100 times. Why not just say I think they will win by 18. Your "average margin" is just a guess. This has as much meaning as me saying we will win by 20+ points.

I mean... It's not like Vegas is playing the game themselves. Usually they're pretty knowledgeable, but this was just a bad spread.

That or theyre geniuses and know something we dont and ohio st covers and cha ching. be honest. Is losing by 17-20 over there really out of the question? It's definitely a possibility. Our offense is really on the struggle bus right now and you know Ohio St gonna have their "get right" week here at some point you gotta think.

That should tell you they made a mistake. Vegas wants even money on the game. If that 94% is true they should be moving the line like crazy to get money on the other side. Right now the money line is around 550+ for NU and 760- for OSU. There could also just be a lot of money line bets on OSU. Don't have to cover a spread just win the game.

Almost every pass play has to show some sign of at least one receiver going vertical - if not the defense will sit on the receivers and then jump routes. TA needs to be told and then he needs to remember to avoid the deep ball unless it is clearly open. Based on MR presser it sounds like this has been discussed and looks pretty good in practice, however as we all know the speed of game time situations will tend to send people back to what they are comfortable with. It is looking more and more that MR and DL are happy to have a competitor at QB, however are counting the days until they can get a better decision maker into the spot.

Absolutely agree. My post probably came off as a bit naive for that reason - Thanks for pointing that out. I agree that you have to have a combination of routes.

I was pretty disillusioned with Saturday's offensive performance. It's just so frustrating to have the best WR group in the conference going largely to waste. I love the heart that Tommy shows...love that guy.

Just frustrating that finally, our defense does its job in a big game. Then it's back to Turnover City and play that is largely ineffective.

I don't have much hope against Ohio State...but obviously, I've never wanted to be more wrong!

Tommy largely gets a pass from me just because how abysmal the offensive line has been.

I just don't understand this spread. There has to be a reason Vegas has it this big, but I can't find any reason for it. It's not just the last couple of games that they have struggled. We both played Wisconsin to OT even though they pulled it out. The week before they let Indiana hang around most of the game. Outside of their OU win, which is a good win but nothing special, what reason is there for them to be so highly thought of. I don't see how the spread is any higher than single digits. I think Michigan will stomp OSU>

I know very little about betting so if this is a stupid question, I apologize. But if that big a % is on Nebraska, how are they not moving the line. Isn't their deal that they try to balance the money on each side?
I don't have any idea if the quoted number is accurate, but there is a difference between the percentage of bets vs the percentage of dollars. 96 people could have bet $100 each on Nebraska and 4 people $2500 each on OSU. That would be 94% of bets on Nebraska but only 48% of the dollars bet would be on Nebraska, so you wouldn't expect the line to move much.

I don't have any idea if the quoted number is accurate, but there is a difference between the percentage of bets vs the percentage of dollars. 96 people could have bet $100 each on Nebraska and 4 people $2500 each on OSU. That would be 94% of bets on Nebraska but only 48% of the dollars bet would be on Nebraska, so you wouldn't expect the line to move much.

https://www.sportsinsights.com/betting-trends/college-football-betting-trends/

80% of the "bets" are on Nebraska. I'm not sure the books release the amount of dollars bet on each team. Accordingly, in this situation you can deduce that there is a much higher "dollar per bet" on OSU than on Nebraska. Typically most people believe this means that the smart money is on OSU (the theory being that the big bettors are the smarter bettors).