Coach Cav Free Pass?

Bo had seven years and at the very least stabilized the position group. But the oline has had issues in the personnel dept ever since the firing of Callahan. His '08 class was loaded at the Oline position. And Callahan is a straighup Oline wiz. Has anyone watched Dallas last couple years? That's his handywork. That oline some bad dude. I read or heard a little nugget at some point that said (and I'd have to check) that something like 4 or 5 of Callahans Oline recruits that were committed here for the 08 class wound up becoming starters in the NFL. So if one thing really took a hit when Callahan was fired, the oline position definitely did. I think this dynamic really showed in 2009. 2008 we were still riding some vets like Murtha and Slauson.

Bo had seven years and at the very least stabilized the position group. But the oline has had issues in the personnel dept ever since the firing of Callahan. His '08 class was loaded at the Oline position. And Callahan is a straighup Oline wiz. Has anyone watched Dallas last couple years? That's his handywork. That oline some bad dude. I read or heard a little nugget at some point that said (and I'd have to check) that something like 4 or 5 of Callahans Oline recruits that were committed here for the 08 class wound up becoming starters in the NFL. So if one thing really took a hit when Callahan was fired, the oline position definitely did. I think this dynamic really showed in 2009. 2008 we were still riding some vets like Murtha and Slauson.

I know Callahan is a well-respected offensive line coach, but he hasn't been in Dallas since 2014.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Callahan_(American_football)

I know Callahan is a well-respected offensive line coach, but he hasn't been in Dallas since 2014.

And the offensive line was really good then too. That's less than 2 seasons that hes been gone. He spent 3 years there. Did some playcalling one year if I recall. So my point is that he had huge hand-probable the most important hand-in the evaluation, aquisition, and development of their current offensive line. I know there's folks drooling over over Prescott, but if you watch a Dallas game as I have a couple times, that oline is doin some work. Prescott gets time to literally just stand in the pocket for multiple seconds. Elliot, when executed, just has gashing lanes. This is how the 90's Cowboys were built. Oline first. qb 2nd. RB third. And I'm just saying that Callahan deserves monster credit for it.

I guess the o-line has been pretty good, considering the injuries. I see young linemen being played all over the country, so is Coach Cav focused on playing the long-game with many of these guys? I just hope that his focus on 2-3 years down the road doesn't hurt the team this year. We will see how it plays out the rest of the year.

I just think people love Coach Cav because he seems to be "old school" and got to be buddy-buddy with Coach Tenopir before Milt's passing. That is cool that he embraced the history of NU linemen, but I still would like to see strong results.

And the offensive line was really good then too. That's less than 2 seasons that hes been gone. He spent 3 years there. Did some playcalling one year if I recall. So my point is that he had huge hand-probable the most important hand-in the evaluation, aquisition, and development of their current offensive line. I know there's folks drooling over over Prescott, but if you watch a Dallas game as I have a couple times, that oline is doin some work. Prescott gets time to literally just stand in the pocket for multiple seconds. Elliot, when executed, just has gashing lanes. This is how the 90's Cowboys were built. Oline first. qb 2nd. RB third. And I'm just saying that Callahan deserves monster credit for it.

I know how the Cowboys are successful now (and how they were successful in the 90s). I'm a big Cowboys fan. Callahan does deserve credit, as does the personnel department for investing high draft choices into the o-line.

I guess the o-line has been pretty good, considering the injuries. I see young linemen being played all over the country, so is Coach Cav focused on playing the long-game with many of these guys? I just hope that his focus on 2-3 years down the road doesn't hurt the team this year. We will see how it plays out the rest of the year.

I just think people love Coach Cav because he seems to be "old school" and got to be buddy-buddy with Coach Tenopir before Milt's passing. That is cool that he embraced the history of NU linemen, but I still would like to see strong results.

We're just between a rock and hard place right now. Lot's of young hot talent. But the oline moreso than any other position on the field needs time to develop mentally and physically. Yes, there are young olinman, but for the most part, it's hard to start as a freshman/sophmore (true) and be really really effective at this level. So we're stuck playing a lot of walk on caliber players. Then throw in on and off injuries to arguable the 2 best guys we had left after Foster went down (Gates, Knevel) and it's just really tough. So i think we shouldnt overreact and just recognize the oline as a work in progress and give it a year or two down the line before we demand real results. Current circumstances have to be considered.

I know how the Cowboys are successful now (and how they were successful in the 90s). I'm a big Cowboys fan. Callahan does deserve credit, as does the personnel department for investing high draft choices into the o-line.

That oline is outright impressive. I got to sit down and really watch sunday night and I was just flabbergasted. They make professional pass rush look like high school.

I agree with Marvic on this subject. The injuries have hurt a lot in the o-line. The offenisive line actually played pretty well against Wisconsin all things considered. They played better than I thought they would. I don't think some of you guys realize how good Wisconsin's defense really is. It is very complicated and gives teams a ton of looks, and when you combine that with some great players you have a great defense. They were not going to come out and run for 300 yards against Wisconsin. Nobody has not ever Ohio St.

Now, if you want to complain that they didn't play real well against Purdue, that is a valid question.

Gaylord is not ready to play yet. Very talented coming into the system, but very raw. It is actaully very common for O-linemen to not be ready to contribute till their RS soph year.

Decker for whatever reason from what I have heard is having personal issues.

Barnett from what I have heard is mentally not into it yet. He hasn't figured out what he needs to do to really get on the field. This is something that you here about all the time. I remember this type of thing a lot even during the TO years. Really talented guy needs to figure out of he really wants to play or not.

At this level, im not sure theres anything harder than playing against base over/under even fronts for numerous weeks in a row and then having to go up against a true odd front 3-4. Not only is it a completely different look with different angles, but the increase in defensive athleticism on the edge is something you cant prepare for. it's kinda like facing spread teams for 6 weeks then having to play a game against a cut blocking double wing. Sometimes the change up itself is hard to handle. As ive mentioned before, I noticed saturday there was a huge lack of complexity in our run blocking. hardly any pin/pull, whams, and such. Almost all straight ahead zone blocking. I havent went back through our other games enough to know if that was the trend throughout the season for if that was just the result saturday night of facing such a different look defensively and having to simplify.