Bowl Projections Thread

Red Five

Bowl selections are only 5 weeks away.

ESPN: http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/17927552/college-football-bowl-projections-2016-season-week-10

Schlabach: Holiday Bowl Dec 27 vs USC

McMurphy: Cotton Bowl Jan 1 vs Western Michigan

Fox: http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/gallery/college-football-bowl-projections-schedule-dates-all-40-games-week-10-mandel-110116

Mandel: Outback Bowl Jan 2 vs Florida

• Fire 1

And for those that need a refresher...

New Year's 6 Bowls

Rose - Big Ten #1 vs Pac 12 #1

Sugar - SEC #1 vs Big 12 #1

Orange - ACC #1 vs Big Ten #2/SEC #2/Notre Dame

Cotton - At Large or Group of 5

Peach - At Large or Group of 5

Fiesta - At Large or Group of 5

Also, the CFP selection committee fills these bowls based on their final rankings.

This year's playoff bowls are the Fiesta and Peach on Dec 31. So the numbers referenced above (ex: Big Ten #1) would be the highest ranked Big Ten team not in the playoff.

• Fire 4

Also, the Big Ten bowl tie-ins:

The Big Ten gets a team in the Rose Bowl. It’s the Big Ten Champion if it’s not in the College Football Playoff. Also, the Big Ten is eligible for the Orange Bowl three times between 2014 and 2016.

Orange will pick the highest-ranked team from Big Ten, SEC or Notre Dame to play a team from the ACC. If the Orange takes a Big Ten team, the Buffalo Wild Wings Citrus Bowl will take an ACC team in place of the Big Ten.

1. Rose Bowl (New Year’s Six)
– Rose Bowl will choose a Big Ten representative if one of the conference’s teams is in the playoff

2. Orange Bowl vs. ACC or Buffalo Wild Wings Citrus Bowl vs. SEC
– Agreement is for five different teams in six years, so no Minnesota or Michigan.

3. Outback Bowl vs. SEC
– Agreement is for five different teams in six years, so no Wisconsin or Northwestern.

4. National Funding Holiday Bowl vs. Pac-12
– Agreement is for five different teams in six years, so no Nebraska or Wisconsin.

5. TaxSlayer Bowl or Music City Bowl vs. SEC
– ACC and Big Ten combine with each getting three appearances in six years. The Big Ten played in TaxSlayer last year and will most likely go to Music City. No Penn State or Iowa in TaxSlayer.

6. New Era Pinstripe Bowl vs. ACC
– Not official, but would prefer to have eight different teams in eight years, so no Penn State or Indiana if possible.

7. Foster Farms Bowl vs. Pac-12
– Agreement is for five different teams in six years, so no Maryland or Nebraska.

8. Quick Lane Bowl vs. ACC

9. Zaxby’s Heart of Dallas Bowl vs. Conference USA
– Agreement for three Zaxby’s Heart of Dallas and three Armed Forces bowls in six years. Illinois played in Dallas two years ago, it’s Big 12 vs. Navy in Armed Forces this year.

http://collegefootballnews.com/2016/college-football-bowl-ties-affiliations-conference

• Fire 2

I saw one that put us against San Diego State. Sorry, but SDSU and WMU are out. The bowl selectors are crooks that know Nebraska is a big ticket team, they'll give us a good matchup.

That doesn't save us from being put against WMU. Remember the best G5 team gets a bowl matchup with one of the big boys.

I saw one that put us against San Diego State. Sorry, but SDSU and WMU are out. The bowl selectors are crooks that know Nebraska is a big ticket team, they'll give us a good matchup.

That doesn't save us from being put against WMU. Remember the best G5 team gets a bowl matchup with one of the big boys.
I feel like no team wants to play a Group of 5 in a NY6 bowl. If you lose it definitely hurts more and if you win people shrug it off

That being said it very well may happen we play that group of 5 team and I wouldn't be upset about it one bit.

• Fire 2

One of the big changes that happened with the CFP was that the conferences started to gain more control over the bowl system and take away a lot of power from the old guys in the colored blazers.

For the NY6 bowls, the bowls themselves have no input into who they select. It is all determined by the final CFP rankings.

This year the Cotton Bowl is locked into taking the top CFP ranked conference champion from the MWC, AAC, CUSA, MAC, and Sun Belt. So whoever the highest ranked CFP team is that doesn't fit into the Rose/Sugar/Orange criteria will be facing one of those teams.

Maybe it's just me, but I think the playoff makes the bowl games less interesting. It should also be 8 teams

I think that has more to do with there being 41 bowl games

That doesn't help either - and we were apart of that last year. No way should a 5-7 team go to a bowl game

I think it is more to do with before, it was can we get to the best bowl game possible. And now it's can we get to the playoff. The other bowls just seem secondary now

Maybe it's just me, but I think the playoff makes the bowl games less interesting. It should also be 8 teams

unfortunately too much $$$ in the bowl system, however an 8 team playoff with 30ish extra bowl games seems pretty solid.

Yes, and yes. You are both right, IMO.

An 8-team playoff and less bowls that are more selective with who is allowed in would help. At the end of the day declining viewership in the bowls will force the issue.

Yea thanks to espn, so they can get a .9 rating for a bad game vs .2 rating for boring talking heads. They actually own and operate more then a third of those poor man's bowls.