In-State Talent vs. Out-State Talent

You still aren't addressing the central point, which is that TO brought in fewer scholarship athletes on a rolling average than several do today.

I'm not missing the point. You just changed to a completely different point.

Since 1973, in what year did Tom Osborne sign more recruits than he would have been allowed to under current rules?

:movegoalpost:

And your claim that we somehow can't sign a significant number of NE kids because of scholarship limits, which spurred the discussion, doesn't wash either.

Seems like you kind of added the "significant" part yourself. Not sure where I said that.

There were 10 extra scholarship. Thus he could sign more kids than he could have now. 2-3 per year, depending on how things worked out.

And those numbers are well within the range of possibilities given the numbers you have shown so far. And with all that attrition, it's entirely possible that we could have signed 2-3 more Nebraska kids right off the bat and then 2-3 been put on scholarship after being a walk-on for a year or two. That's a pretty significant jump from what is realistic now.

• 1 month later...

Jesus. You're a bit rough bro, remind me never to ask you to be my wing man Mav.

The recruiting game is just that, a game. While most of the players at the top of those charts can be considered legit, there are quite a few whose star ratings are manufactured. Parents and coaches make accounts for their kids in the 7th grade and some of them develop star ratings that are influenced by the fact that recruiting analysts get name recognition. Proof? None. Just from years and years of being around high school coaches and hearing stories about it. Anecdotal? Yup. But I do believe it. Because of that, I often play close attention to the players who "explode onto the recruiting scene" late in the process. These are players who often outperform their star ratings (Nate Gerry was a 2 star, Quincy Enunwa was a classic case of blowing up as a senior and JJ Watt was a two star for goodness sakes). I often wonder how many of them just developed late and how many of them just came late to the recruiting game and didn't go to any camps. I think it's a system that can be manipulated and there is probably a little truth in just about everyone's opinion (some more than others).

And guys, just about everyone here is bringing opinions to the table. When I hit "Post" I don't expect to be published in a recruiting journal.

Jesus. You're a bit rough bro, remind me never to ask you to be my wing man Mav.

The recruiting game is just that, a game. While most of the players at the top of those charts can be considered legit, there are quite a few whose star ratings are manufactured. Parents and coaches make accounts for their kids in the 7th grade and some of them develop star ratings that are influenced by the fact that recruiting analysts get name recognition. Proof? None. Just from years and years of being around high school coaches and hearing stories about it. Anecdotal? Yup. But I do believe it. Because of that, I often play close attention to the players who "explode onto the recruiting scene" late in the process. These are players who often outperform their star ratings (Nate Gerry was a 2 star, Quincy Enunwa was a classic case of blowing up as a senior and JJ Watt was a two star for goodness sakes). I often wonder how many of them just developed late and how many of them just came late to the recruiting game and didn't go to any camps. I think it's a system that can be manipulated and there is probably a little truth in just about everyone's opinion (some more than others).

And guys, just about everyone here is bringing opinions to the table. When I hit "Post" I don't expect to be published in a recruiting journal.

Jesus bro, for a guy who created an account today and comes to a thread where an argument died over a month ago, you're a bit rough.

What you say is true. I'm not disputing that. I think most people here recognize that. But this is an internet forum; we're all well aware that these are people's opinions and if you stick around, you'll find we are pretty respectful and open to discussion (as that is what a forum is for).

My gf's daughter dated a kid who was being looked at by NU before his senior year (within the last 3 years) at a local HS in Omaha. He ended up getting a preferred walk-on invite, but chose to go small college and have it paid for. He had a big all-state year as a junior and was getting interest from several smaller tier D1 schools (Iowa State, Colorado State and Wyoming) but then hurt his shoulder as a senior and the scholarship possibilities at NU went away. Before he got hurt he had been told by some coaches (not NU coaches mind you) that NU was weighing on an offer to him based on if he had offers from other D1 schools. The reasoning was this: They would liked to have tried to get him to come as a preferred walk-on if possible and could end up offering if he got other D1 offers so that in-state folks wouldn't be upset over NU passing on good in-state talent. The kid got hurt and fell off of the radar, but it is a story that certainly outlines what CM is referring to. I don't get upset at stuff like that, you need to trust coaches to evaluate talent. But the concern is somewhat justified. Look at some of the local talent that has done well without a scholarship offer to NU. Trevor Roach and Andy Janovich are just a couple of the guys that NU did get as walk-ons who did well for themselves. Matt Longacre from Millard West played at NW Mo St and now plays for the LA Rams. There's always gonna be guys like that, and there's always gonna be guys who let that hit a nerve that NU didn't get them.

And, I wasn't rough.