What did we learn- Ohio State edition

Langs money play is the deep jump ball to shitsville. Population zero.......IIRC, We were 9-33 last night........with 2 INT's......I understand the need to pass as we were curb stomped, but couldn't he disl something else up. Damn man, even a trick play or two.....

Were you thinking trick plays before or after Tommy Armstrong got hurt? I wouldn't mind seeing ol Ryker Fyfe on the old Black Flash 41 Reverse. Also, I think we were watching the same game were Tommy couldn't even complete a 5 yard slant without it getting tipped.
Wisky was all over the quick routes. Well coached. LB's sat under neath and TA never saw them, almost like he's throwing spot passes. I remember an early game he looked one way and threw the other. Once we got up to better competition those moves were gone. JT was subtlety doing that all night. Drop the shoulder, DB's bite. Look off the safety......complete another pass.

I would've tried a trick play right after we stalled and only hit 3. Again, anything yo make the D a half step slower. And again, even like last year, the QB whisperer could say something as simple as this, I know you are going to throw to Carter dragging across the middle to the right. When you snap the ball, look left to Morgan on the fly, then come back to Carter. The safety and CB will jump the route....Carter will be open.

Chalk talk dud a great job a few weeks ago showing Langs using motion to set up another play. He was really exploiting what the D did. Once we got to better defenses, that went out the window......

That we need to start pulling in some of the top O-Line and D-Line prospects

That we need to fire Banker and the Special teams coach

That we still are not where we need to be talent wise to compete with tOSU and Michigan

Every statement here is dead on.

We don't control the line of scrimmage on either side of the ball and I think it is talent/experience gap. I'm hopeful that the o-line redshirting are the real deal and Foster heals up from his injury. I think the D-Line made the DB's look bad.

The most troubling part of the entire game for me was how bad the defense was. They held at the LOS, but they didn't make plays. The missed both tackles and opportunities over and over again.

Our special teams have been a question mark all year. That dude makes way too much money to be so bad at kick-off and punt return. Tre Bryant had some horrible decisions.

When Ryker came in and was throwing off his back foot I really started to realize that we just don't have a big time QB on the team. Tommy is a warrior and I'm glad he's ok, but the combination of the injured line and his inability to make the tight throw make it pretty easy to game plan against him.

I think this loss is very disappointing, but to me it more shows that we aren't there yet rather than bad coaching.

I really do believe with a healthy O-Line, a game manager QB and a couple of beasts on the DL this is a top 10 team. I'm eager to see how they rebound and close out the year. As bad as this is, closing out 3-0 would help me to move on.

I learned (or more aptly confirmed) that it is best for my mental health to stay off the football forum for at least 24 hours after a loss.

We played like sh#t and got our asses kicked. It sucks. Defense, offense, coaching, all were terrible. There are no excuses for a loss like that. Move on to next week and don't let Ohio St beat us twice.

• Fire 1

I learned (or more aptly confirmed) that it is best for my mental health to stay off the football forum for at least 24 hours after a loss.

We played like sh#t and got our asses kicked. It sucks. Defense, offense, coaching, all were terrible. There are no excuses for a loss like that. Move on to next week and don't let Ohio St beat us twice.

This is the best post of the thread! +1. This right here is mightily important. --> Move on to next week and don't let Ohio St beat us twice.

Contrary to popular belief, the sun came back up, albeit 1 hour later than it did on Saturday.

It's great we got a high ranking this season but we're still far from a playoff-caliber team. The Buckeyes are and have been one in recent seasons. There was a time Nebraska could have run (pants'd?) the Buckeyes but those days are long past. Offense has a lot of excuses but the defense should have been better. They competed but couldn't win third down.

I learned the following:

(1) We are definitely not ready for prime time. Not even close

(2) Our coaches are not in the same league (or even within two leagues) as those of Ohio State, Michigan, Alabama

(3) We still can't win the games that really matter

(4) I am glad that we are not going to the Big 10 Championship because it can get REALLY UGLY

(5) The Iowa and Minnesota games will be more challenging than I originally thought

(6) Next year will be really ugly

On a positive note, we still can finish the season 10-2, if we actually practiced like we cared about football.

What is sad is that at the beginning of the season, I knew we had very little chance to beat Wisconsin and Ohio State and that we will probably lose both games, and so did everyone else in the nation, and our team did not disappoint. It has been 20 years since we have been relevant. How much longer do we have to wait? No other relevant teams have had the down period of mediocrity that we have endured. Are those Tom Osborne eras gone for good!! After a game like tonight, you definitely wonder if we ever will rise again.

Agree on most of this post. Ok, I was ready to accept a L to OSU, I'd be disappointed but I knew we were at a talent deficient. However, I thought the Era of Big Blowouts was over. I thought MR had the team motivated to play at a high competitive level. This game looked as bad as any of Bo's games - except for maybe the Melvin Gordon 400+ yard romp. The D was embarrassing pathetic on tackling. That non-tackle by Williams on the receiver who caught the long TD was the most pathetic thing I've ever seen from a Husker. The play calling was equally pathetic - how many times on 1st down - run up the middle. And then the next play or 3rd down was almost always a long ball.

I'm a MR fan and appreciate the new climate he has created and want him to succeed. But this game really was a set back. Yes we had injuries but is our talent level that bad in comparison? Yes, we don't have nearly the 4-5 stars as OSU but how can Wisc, Penn State and some others play OSU well and we get blown away? MR did not have the team ready and his OC/DC failed in their play calling. The play calling OT vs Wisc was also suspect IMHO.

I will still be happy wt a 10-3 year - maybe even a 9-4 after last year. But we have to turn the corner and get the recruits to be able to play wt the big boys and actually win a conference championship. Otherwise we will remain behind OSU, MIch, Wisc, MSU(this year is just a blimp), and now possibly PSU. NU should never remain a middle of the conference type team with the available resources and tradition. I don't expect to win the conf every year but we should be able to compete on the highest level.

Good post. We'll probably have to say the same thing after the election also.

Johnny Stanton? Or does he have to sit out a year?

Only played in their first 4 games so either he's hurt or he was replaced. 46.7 CMP%

Sadly, that would be an improvement for us right now.

TA has a 51.3 CMP%. Stanton put up his numbers against 2 FCS teams a 3-6 UCLA team and a 5-5 CMU team. So I doubt that.

Lately we've been worse than Stanton.

Stanton didn't play 2 top 10 defenses.

True, but his completion percentage would still be an improvement for us right now.