Vol fan visiting Lincoln / Memorial Stadium

Vols1891

Hey guys, just wanted to ask for some suggestions on things to do and see as I'll be making my first visit to Lincoln in a couple weeks to attend the Maryland game. First of all, I am from Tennessee (although currently living in Atlanta) and am a Vols fan, but I'm also just a big fan of college football in general, especially programs with a lot of history and tradition, like Nebraska. I love going to new stadiums and have been to most in the SEC, as well as some out of conference ones, such as Oregon. So when I found out I was going on a business trip to Omaha the same week as a home game, I couldn't pass on the opportunity to stay an extra couple days and go to the game. First of all, does anyone know when they will announce the starting time for this game? I am going to come into Lincoln Friday afternoon and stay in the downtown area until Sunday morning. So I was just wondering if you had any tips on fun stuff (football-related or otherwise) to do when not at the game. It's just going to be me and one of my coworkers, who is a Georgia fan. I am really looking forward to it as Nebraska has been on my bucket list for a long time. I was sorry to see how Saturday's game turned out for you guys, but I know you're much better than the score showed and will hopefully bounce back strong. By the way, has anyone heard any updates on when Tommy Armstrong will be able to play? I was obviously very happy to see him return to the stadium so fast on Saturday after the injury, but I assume he will likely have to sit at least 1 week if he had a concussion, right?

• Fire 3

I also wanted to add that as I have watched each Nebraska game this year, one thing that has really stood out to me is how many similarities there are between the Cornhuskers and Volunteers teams this year. For example:

We both play in first-class conferences but are in the weaker division of the two. The SEC East is much weaker than the West, and vice-versa for the Big 10. So both UT and NU have benefited from relatively easier schedules, especially in the first part of the season. In addition, we both still have a chance to make it to the conference championship game but neither of us controls our own destiny (you guys need to win out and have Wisconsin lose, and we need to win out and have Florida lose). However, I feel like both fan bases are not overly excited about having to play in the actual championship game, as the likelihood of winning is probably lower than the chances that we get blown out.

We both have weak offense lines, which causes a lot of issues on offense.

We both tend to play bad towards the beginning of the game and then typically mount a comeback late in the game.

Both of our quarterbacks are seniors and leaders of the team. Both are good running the ball but struggle with accuracy and interceptions.

We both started out undefeated, then had two very tough games back-to-back (Tennessee vs Texas A&M followed by Alabama, and Nebraska vs. Wisconsin followed by Ohio State). In both instances, we went into overtime in the first of those games and then lost. Again, in both situations, we gained confidence from the fact that we were able to take A&M and Wisconsin into overtime (both games on the road), and felt that we could hang with Alabama and Ohio State the following week. And then again, we were blown out in both instances the next week.

We both have had injuries to significant playmakers, although I would argue Tennessee has probably had it worse, which has hurt us down the stretch.

We both have relatively new coaches who have yet to prove themselves to the fan base (although Riley is only in year 2, while Butch Jones in year 4). From reading this forum, I also see that a lot of Nebraska fans are divided on Riley, just as Tennessee fans are with Butch. In addition, Jones and Riley are both criticized for hiring their buddies from their previous schools, when they may not have been the best person available for the job.

And although this doesnt apply specifically to this season, we both are strong historical programs who had their peak in the 90s and have been trying to get back on top ever since. We both have the same issue where in-state football is not that strong in our state, so we have to rely a lot on out-of-state recruiting (although Nebraska obviously has it worse in terms of geography, while Tennessee probably has it worse in terms of close by rivals with great recruiting.

Both schools are well of financially, and both fan bases complain about why we cant just write a blank check to a home-run hire coach, such as Alabama, Michigan, and Ohio State have done.

• Fire 2

I also wanted to add that as I have watched each Nebraska game this year, one thing that has really stood out to me is how many similarities there are between the Cornhuskers and Volunteers teams this year. For example:

We both play in first-class conferences but are in the weaker division of the two. The SEC East is much weaker than the West, and vice-versa for the Big 10. So both UT and NU have benefited from relatively easier schedules, especially in the first part of the season. In addition, we both still have a chance to make it to the conference championship game but neither of us controls our own destiny (you guys need to win out and have Wisconsin lose, and we need to win out and have Florida lose). However, I feel like both fan bases are not overly excited about having to play in the actual championship game, as the likelihood of winning is probably lower than the chances that we get blown out.

We both tend to play bad towards the beginning of the game and then typically mount a comeback late in the game.

Both of our quarterbacks are seniors and leaders of the team. Both are good running the ball but struggle with accuracy and interceptions.

We both started out undefeated, then had two very tough games back-to-back (Tennessee vs Texas A&M followed by Alabama, and Nebraska vs. Wisconsin followed by Ohio State). In both instances, we went into overtime in the first of those games and then lost. Again, in both situations, we gained confidence from the fact that we were able to take A&M and Wisconsin into overtime (both games on the road), and felt that we could hang with Alabama and Ohio State the following week. And then again, we were blown out in both instances the next week.

We both have had injuries to significant playmakers, although I would argue Tennessee has probably had it worse, which has hurt us down the stretch.

We both have relatively new coaches who have yet to prove themselves to the fan base (although Riley is only in year 2, while Butch Jones in year 4). From reading this forum, I also see that a lot of Nebraska fans are divided on Riley, just as Tennessee fans are with Butch. In addition, Jones and Riley are both criticized for hiring their buddies from their previous schools, when they may not have been the best person available for the job.

And although this doesnt apply specifically to this season, we both are strong historical programs who had their peak in the 90s and have been trying to get back on top ever since. We both have the same issue where in-state football is not that strong in our state, so we have to rely a lot on out-of-state recruiting (although Nebraska obviously has it worse in terms of geography, while Tennessee probably has it worse in terms of close by rivals with great recruiting.

Both schools are well of financially, and both fan bases complain about why we cant just write a blank check to a home-run hire coach, such as Alabama, Michigan, and Ohio State have done.

Possible scouting for the outback bowl? :D

That is certainly a possibility. To be honest though, despite what happened in Columbus the other night, I still think you guys are a little better than us. The one main difference between our seasons thus far is that Nebraska has won all the games they are supposed to win, whereas we lost to a bad South Carolina team. And I will even say this, which very few people in my part of the country are willing to admit....the Big 10 is better than the SEC right now and is the best conference in college football.

That is kind of crazy how similar these two teams are this season...thanks for the input and hang around for awhile. We enjoy having fans of other teams on the board.

That is kind of crazy how similar these two teams are this season...thanks for the input and hang around for awhile. We enjoy having fans of other teams on the board.

Thanks. I do like this forum so I'll definitely stick around. I'm not one to trash talk and have nothing bad at all to say about Nebraska's program, so hopefully you guys won't mind me being around.

One other thing I was going to mention is that I see a lot of people posting on here saying stuff about how Nebraska isn't relevant or elite anymore. But I honestly think you guys are being too hard on yourselves. At least in terms of my perspective as a Tennessee fan, I think we have a ton of respect for your program and I've always heard that your fan base is one of the best (passionate and knowledgeable, but yet friendly and not obnoxious). I think a lot of us still think of the Nebraska from that 97 Orange Bowl (Peyton's last game at UT) and the way you just manhandled us. I remember watching that game as a kid and being amazed by the size and skill of your offensive line. In fact, it actually made me want to be an offensive lineman there for a while! But the fact that you guys have been so successful despite your geographic / recruiting disadvantages is really impressive. Even though you haven't been able to duplicate that success from the 90's yet, you have still been a really solid team. You didn't go as low as we did at Tennessee...we went three seasons in a row without going to a bowl game from 2011 to 2013. The main problem you seem to have, and I'm not sure why this keeps happening, is that you seem to have these really bad blowout games on national television every couple years. It may just be bad luck and bad timing. But I think you all should be very proud of your football team.

Thanks for the kind words Vols1891. I was highly impressed with the Vols fans I met at that 97 Orange Bowl. A bunch of friendly and classy people. Loved it when you all sang Rocky Top. Been a fan of your fans ever since. Have fun in Lincoln. There's a thread somewhere hereabouts with what to do while in Lincoln. I'LL try to find it and link it for you.

That is certainly a possibility. To be honest though, despite what happened in Columbus the other night, I still think you guys are a little better than us. The one main difference between our seasons thus far is that Nebraska has won all the games they are supposed to win, whereas we lost to a bad South Carolina team. And I will even say this, which very few people in my part of the country are willing to admit....the Big 10 is better than the SEC right now and is the best conference in college football.

Haha, would be a fun game either way, have fun in Lincoln! ill be at the Maryland as well. It is an amazing time

Definitely go to the Single Barrel to pregame to hear the famous Sidetrack band. They sing the fight song, tease opposing fans innocuously and play oldies set to football lyrics too. Very fun. Also hit Barry's if you can for a beer. Those are long traditions in Lincoln for sure. I'm sure others can offer food suggestions. I never eat down there, only drink beer!

Have a great trip and wear your Vols gear. People will talk to about your team all day long. We love football.

Definitely go to the Single Barrel to pregame to hear the famous Sidetrack band. They sing the fight song, tease opposing fans innocuously and play oldies set to football lyrics too. Very fun. Also hit Barry's if you can for a beer. Those are long traditions in Lincoln for sure. I'm sure others can offer food suggestions. I never eat down there, only drink beer!

Have a great trip and wear your Vols gear. People will talk to about your team all day long. We love football.

Kind of hard to believe that the old owners of Barry's basically gave up on the place and felt it could not make money.

Thanks for the replies and advice!

Just out of curiosity, I was looking to see how many times Tennessee and Nebraska have played each other and was surprised to see it has only been twice...the 98 Orange Bowl and the 2000 Fiesta...both won by you guys as I'm sure you remember. With both of our programs being around since the late 1800s, you'd think we would have played each other some more throughout the years. You guys were originally supposed to play us in a home and away this year and next but you ended up changing your schedule and playing Oregon instead (can't remember what the reason was) and our series got moved back to 2026 (in Lincoln) and 2027 (in Knoxville). It's kind of crazy how far in advance they schedule these things.

Just out of curiosity, I was looking to see how many times Tennessee and Nebraska have played each other and was surprised to see it has only been twice...the 98 Orange Bowl and the 2000 Fiesta...both won by you guys as I'm sure you remember. With both of our programs being around since the late 1800s, you'd think we would have played each other some more throughout the years. You guys were originally supposed to play us in a home and away this year and next but you ended up changing your schedule and playing Oregon instead (can't remember what the reason was) and our series got moved back to 2026 (in Lincoln) and 2027 (in Knoxville). It's kind of crazy how far in advance they schedule these things.

It was rescheduled for your game in Bristol this year I believe. Id also say wear your Vols gear

Kind of hard to believe that the old owners of Barry's basically gave up on the place and felt it could not make money.

Single Barrel is a good place to go. As for Barry's, the roof was basically caving in when they sold it. I'd heard they didn't have the money to fix it and didn't think it would be worth it anyways. Man were they wrong...

It was rescheduled for your game in Bristol this year I believe. Id also say wear your Vols gear

Yeah, you are probably right. I would have rather gone to Lincoln than Bristol myself but I'm sure our AD was looking at the dollar signs with the thought of putting 160K into Bristol Motor Speedway.

Kind of funny that it's called The Single Barrel, because the best gameday bar at Tennessee is called The Half Barrel.