856 replies to this topic

#1 TGHusker

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,845 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 02:48 PM

http://www.newsmax.c...1/09/id/758021/

Article is quoted below.  Let the speculation begin, but I think Newt, Carson, Ruddy, CC, are no surprise as they have been mouth pieces for Trump for some time. 

One surprise for me was Rick Perry as Sec of Ag.  I figured if anything, he'd be sec of energy if he was in the cabinet. 

I do like Larry Kudlow as  Chairman of Council of Economic Advisers

This is a bit of a head scratcher but understandable from Trump's perspective:  White House Chief of Staff: Trump’s son-in-law and confidante Jared Kushner

I found this one interesting, I was thinking surgeon general.   Secretary of Education: Ben Carson

I'm sure this will bet some criticism and probably rightly so as a 'white man's club'.  Not very diverse.   

Quote:

No sooner had networks projected Donald Trump would be the 45th president of the United States than speculation began about who would be in his Cabinet.

But already informed sources in Trump’s circle say they have been talking about potential Cabinet and other senior administration officials for months.

Typically, Republican presidents draw heavily from the ranks of former Republican presidential administrations. Insiders tell me this won’t be the case for President Trump.

“Unless you strongly backed Donald, he will be looking for fresh, outside-the-box thinkers,” the source said. “He picked his campaign staff that way. He thinks that’s the best way to go”

Trump also loves to be around people “he’s comfortable with.”

Trump made that clear when he made his VP pick. Ohio Gov. John Kasich was the establishment favorite.

“But Donald thought he was a little weird, so that ended,” a close Trump friend tells me.

Trump does not want “yes” men either. Donald likes people who disagree with him. For example, Rudy Giuliani is no one’s yes man, but Trump listens to him and respects him.

In official Washington, speculation on Wednesday morning was focused on top level positions at the Cabinet and beyond.

Here’s some of the people being discussed:

• Secretary of State: Newt Gingrich tops the list. The former House speaker was one of Trump's earliest supporters and staunchest defenders in the media. He’s a GOP heavyweight and can articulate Trump’s global vision to allies. Second choice: former U.N. Ambassador John Bolton. A staunch conservative, he was a critic of Iraq war strategy, something Trump likes.
  • Secretary of Treasury: Steve Mnuchin has already been promised the job. A former Goldman Sachs executive and head of Trump campaign fundraising, Mnuchin will offer Wall Street credibility to Trump’s team. Backup choices: Billionaire investor Wilber Ross, Trump’s most notable Wall Street backer. Doubtful Ross will give up his global business empire, but he would be widely hailed. Steve Forbes is also in the mix, respected by Trump’s team for his Jack Kemp-style tax policies.
  • Secretary of Defense: Retired Lt. Gen. Michael Flynn, former head of the Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA), has the job if he wants it. Others say he may take National Security adviser or CIA chief, which could be elevated to Cabinet rank, as Reagan did with Bill Casey.
  • Attorney General: Rudy Giuliani, the former New York mayor, considered the politician closest to Trump, has the job if he wants it. Some Trump insiders say Giuliani would rather play Trump’s eminence grise.  (TG: had to look this up: definition: a person who exercises power or influence in a certain sphere without holding an official position.)
  • Secretary of Homeland Security: Alabama Sen. Jeff Sessions, the first senator to back Trump and his point man on immigration and border security in the Senate.
  • Secretary of Education: Ben Carson is one of the people in Trump’s closest circles. While having a medical background, there has been talk that Carson would serve better at Education. Like Trump, Carson is a strong advocate of charter schools and vouchers. the Trump team believes it made significant inroads with African-American voters on this issue, and it wants to continue that effort.
  • Secretary of Health and Human Resources: Betsey McCaughey, former lieutenant governor of New York, and healthcare expert, has been one of Trump’s fiercest and earliest supporters.
  • Chairman of Council of Economic Advisers: Larry Kudlow, longtime supply sider and Reagan budget deputy director, was Trump’s lead adviser on tax policy and his strongest financial media defender. Already talk of making the job Cabinet rank if Larry wants it. Kudlow is also talked about as Janet Yellen’s replacement at the Fed if her position opens.
  • Secretary of Agriculture: Rick Perry, former Texas governor and commissioner of agriculture; a one-time Trump critic, he loyally stumped for Trump after his own presidential bid ended.
  • Secretary of Commerce: One named being mentioned is the embattled New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie. An early Trump endorser, he could be Trump’s point man on jobs, trade, and the economy.
  • White House Chief of Staff: Trump’s son-in-law and confidante Jared Kushner is at the very top of the list. The job does not require Senate confirmation, and the position puts one of Trump’s most trusted advisers next to the president. Kushner served as de facto campaign manager and, as a Democrat, will have good ties with Senate and House Democrats in helping to push legislation through Congress.
  • White House Counsel: Joseph Schmitz is the former inspector general of the Defense Department and former Ed Meese aide at Justice. Highly respected, he was an early Trump foreign policy adviser.
  • RNC Chair: Not a government appointee but the president’s top political appointee as head of the party could be Roger Stone. A wildcard choice, the former Nixon and Reagan strategist is considered the architect of Trump’s political rise

#2 zoogs

Legend

• Admin
  • 23,278 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 02:55 PM

I think Newt, Carson, Ruddy, CC, are no surprise as they have been mouth pieces for Trump for some time.

...Rick Perry

...Jared Kushner

... Ben Carson

The best people.
check us out @Huskerboard !

#3 84HuskerLaw

Heisman Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 03:09 PM

Newt would be good as Cheif of Staff or senior policy advisor or as Whitehouse liason to Congress.  He will be supremely skilled in shepherding any legislation through the Congress and bringing together the various competing interests to forge strong conservative led agendas through the DC swamp until Trump gets it fully drained.  Secretary of State would not likely be Newt's interest.

Ben Carson more likely to be a leader on the repeal of Obamacare and then to spearhead the new drive to improve healthcare access to all.  This will be a big job as Obamacare has created a terrible mess with households being stuck with premiums exceeding mortgage payments and deductibles so high the insurance pays for no care making the premiums nothing but massive income tax hikes for many families.  Half the 'insureds' (one is not really insured by the current Obamacare insurance as the plans won't pay for any claims with deducts and premiums so outrageous) will be filing bankruptcy because of Obamacare not inspite of it.

Don't see Rudy getting personally involved in the administration.  He is aging and certainly not likely to want to be Atty Gen unless Trump wants to let him lead the way on the Clinton prosecutions. Rudy would like that job anyway.  Maybe special counsel role would be a good one for him, being a NY federal prosecutor previously.

I can see a couple other members of the Presidential candidates getting some roles in the admin (Huckabee ?) perhaps but I am sure he will be pick top notch pros who can get running as Trump is a demanding boss who expects performance.  

#4 TGHusker

Head Coach

• Members
  • 3,845 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 03:43 PM

Newt would be good as Cheif of Staff or senior policy advisor or as Whitehouse liason to Congress.  He will be supremely skilled in shepherding any legislation through the Congress and bringing together the various competing interests to forge strong conservative led agendas through the DC swamp until Trump gets it fully drained.  Secretary of State would not likely be Newt's interest.

Ben Carson more likely to be a leader on the repeal of Obamacare and then to spearhead the new drive to improve healthcare access to all.  This will be a big job as Obamacare has created a terrible mess with households being stuck with premiums exceeding mortgage payments and deductibles so high the insurance pays for no care making the premiums nothing but massive income tax hikes for many families.  Half the 'insureds' (one is not really insured by the current Obamacare insurance as the plans won't pay for any claims with deducts and premiums so outrageous) will be filing bankruptcy because of Obamacare not inspite of it.

Don't see Rudy getting personally involved in the administration.  He is aging and certainly not likely to want to be Atty Gen unless Trump wants to let him lead the way on the Clinton prosecutions. Rudy would like that job anyway.  Maybe special counsel role would be a good one for him, being a NY federal prosecutor previously.

I can see a couple other members of the Presidential candidates getting some roles in the admin (Huckabee ?) perhaps but I am sure he will be pick top notch pros who can get running as Trump is a demanding boss who expects performance.  

I agree wt the bold.  Newt is better as a visionary and too often runs wt his mouth which would be a problem as Sec of State. 

Trey Goudy as AG??  If Trump and Cruz didn't have a falling out, some thought Cruz would be a good AG. He'd probably be pretty polarizing but is a man of his convictions. 

#5 NM11046

Head Coach

• Members
  • 3,459 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 07:10 PM

Rumbles of Palin having a spot. That would be awesome.

"Forget the myths the media created about the White House. The truth is, these aren't very bright guys, and things got out of hand."

~All the Presidents' Men

cZtDFbg.png

SaveSave

#6 Bigred_inSD

Grad Assistant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 07:32 PM

What? Where? Why? How? Please no

#7 Creighton Duke

Heisman Winner

• Banned
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 07:44 PM

:blink:

Posted Image
"Do you hear the people sing?  Say, do you hear the distant drums?  It is the future that they bring when tomorrow comes!"

#8 NM11046

Head Coach

• Members
  • 3,459 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 07:46 PM

It showed up in an article my friend posted to FB. Honestly didnt read it because I just can't right now. I'm shelled.

The scotch-irish dark humor part of me hopes its as ambassador to Russia since that would be an easy commute for her.

"Forget the myths the media created about the White House. The truth is, these aren't very bright guys, and things got out of hand."

~All the Presidents' Men

cZtDFbg.png

SaveSave

#9 Landlord of Memorial Stadium

Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,319 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 07:55 PM

"I’d rather f------ work at McDonald’s than work with some of those guys. Not that there is anything bad about working at McDonald’s.” - Bo Pelini

#10 Husker Red Til Dead

Travel Squad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 197 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 09:05 PM

Hopefully its full of people that can tell Donald no , and back it up.

#11 Moiraine

Legend

• Members
  • 10,328 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 09:21 PM

Hopefully its full of people that can tell Donald no , and back it up.

Agreed, which is why people like Giuliani would be awful. I used to respect that guy. He went off the deep end this year.

#12 bnilhome

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 09:27 PM

Article is quoted below.  Let the speculation begin, but I think Newt, Carson, Ruddy, CC, are no surprise as they have been mouth pieces for Trump for some time. 

One surprise for me was Rick Perry as Sec of Ag.  I figured if anything, he'd be sec of energy if he was in the cabinet. 

This is a bit of a head scratcher but understandable from Trump's perspective:  White House Chief of Staff: Trump’s son-in-law and confidante Jared Kushner

I found this one interesting, I was thinking surgeon general.   Secretary of Education: Ben Carson

I'm sure this will bet some criticism and probably rightly so as a 'white man's club'.  Not very diverse.   

Quote:

No sooner had networks projected Donald Trump would be the 45th president of the United States than speculation began about who would be in his Cabinet.

But already informed sources in Trump’s circle say they have been talking about potential Cabinet and other senior administration officials for months.

Typically, Republican presidents draw heavily from the ranks of former Republican presidential administrations. Insiders tell me this won’t be the case for President Trump.

“Unless you strongly backed Donald, he will be looking for fresh, outside-the-box thinkers,” the source said. “He picked his campaign staff that way. He thinks that’s the best way to go”

Trump made that clear when he made his VP pick. Ohio Gov. John Kasich was the establishment favorite.

“But Donald thought he was a little weird, so that ended,” a close Trump friend tells me.

Trump does not want “yes” men either. Donald likes people who disagree with him. For example, Rudy Giuliani is no one’s yes man, but Trump listens to him and respects him.

In official Washington, speculation on Wednesday morning was focused on top level positions at the Cabinet and beyond.

• Secretary of State: Newt Gingrich tops the list. The former House speaker was one of Trump's earliest supporters and staunchest defenders in the media. He’s a GOP heavyweight and can articulate Trump’s global vision to allies. Second choice: former U.N. Ambassador John Bolton. A staunch conservative, he was a critic of Iraq war strategy, something Trump likes.
  • Secretary of Treasury: Steve Mnuchin has already been promised the job. A former Goldman Sachs executive and head of Trump campaign fundraising, Mnuchin will offer Wall Street credibility to Trump’s team. Backup choices: Billionaire investor Wilber Ross, Trump’s most notable Wall Street backer. Doubtful Ross will give up his global business empire, but he would be widely hailed. Steve Forbes is also in the mix, respected by Trump’s team for his Jack Kemp-style tax policies.
  • Secretary of Defense: Retired Lt. Gen. Michael Flynn, former head of the Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA), has the job if he wants it. Others say he may take National Security adviser or CIA chief, which could be elevated to Cabinet rank, as Reagan did with Bill Casey.
  • Attorney General: Rudy Giuliani, the former New York mayor, considered the politician closest to Trump, has the job if he wants it. Some Trump insiders say Giuliani would rather play Trump’s eminence grise.  (TG: had to look this up: definition: a person who exercises power or influence in a certain sphere without holding an official position.)
  • Secretary of Homeland Security: Alabama Sen. Jeff Sessions, the first senator to back Trump and his point man on immigration and border security in the Senate.
  • Secretary of Education: Ben Carson is one of the people in Trump’s closest circles. While having a medical background, there has been talk that Carson would serve better at Education. Like Trump, Carson is a strong advocate of charter schools and vouchers. the Trump team believes it made significant inroads with African-American voters on this issue, and it wants to continue that effort.
  • Secretary of Health and Human Resources: Betsey McCaughey, former lieutenant governor of New York, and healthcare expert, has been one of Trump’s fiercest and earliest supporters.
  • Chairman of Council of Economic Advisers: Larry Kudlow, longtime supply sider and Reagan budget deputy director, was Trump’s lead adviser on tax policy and his strongest financial media defender. Already talk of making the job Cabinet rank if Larry wants it. Kudlow is also talked about as Janet Yellen’s replacement at the Fed if her position opens.
  • Secretary of Agriculture: Rick Perry, former Texas governor and commissioner of agriculture; a one-time Trump critic, he loyally stumped for Trump after his own presidential bid ended.
  • Secretary of Commerce: One named being mentioned is the embattled New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie. An early Trump endorser, he could be Trump’s point man on jobs, trade, and the economy.
  • White House Chief of Staff: Trump’s son-in-law and confidante Jared Kushner is at the very top of the list. The job does not require Senate confirmation, and the position puts one of Trump’s most trusted advisers next to the president. Kushner served as de facto campaign manager and, as a Democrat, will have good ties with Senate and House Democrats in helping to push legislation through Congress.
  • White House Counsel: Joseph Schmitz is the former inspector general of the Defense Department and former Ed Meese aide at Justice. Highly respected, he was an early Trump foreign policy adviser.
  • RNC Chair: Not a government appointee but the president’s top political appointee as head of the party could be Roger Stone. A wildcard choice, the former Nixon and Reagan strategist is considered the architect of Trump’s political rise

That's one very impressive list.  I am hearing Priebus or Conway could be chief of staff.  They both worked their butts off to help him win last night.

2017 Continues to get better and better despite some who want to Resist reality

#13 Atbone95

Head Coach

• Members
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 10:44 PM

Sasse might be a dark horse, apparently..? People say Trump has already talked to him and put rewriting ObamaCare solely on him. Ben is regarded as the brightest mind currently on fixing healthcare. 

#14 IA State Husker

Heisman Winner

• Members
  • 1,889 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 11:59 PM

So, really this is just about loyalty, and not trying to find "the best people".  He is simply rewarding anyone who stood by him in the campaign.  Yes-men and opportunists.  Many of which he has not known for very long.  I'm trying really hard to look for positives here, but this is disappointing.

wuq834.jpg

#15 Red Five

Head Coach

• Members
  • 4,351 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 08:18 AM

So, really this is just about loyalty, and not trying to find "the best people".  He is simply rewarding anyone who stood by him in the campaign.  Yes-men and opportunists.  Many of which he has not known for very long.  I'm trying really hard to look for positives here, but this is disappointing.

cronyism at its finest

The stupidity of some of our fans never ceases to amaze me. - ADS

#16 TGHusker

Head Coach

• Members
  • 3,845 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 08:19 AM

It showed up in an article my friend posted to FB. Honestly didnt read it because I just can't right now. I'm shelled.

The scotch-irish dark humor part of me hopes its as ambassador to Russia since that would be an easy commute for her.

:laughpound  :facepalm:

#17 Count 'Bility

Legend

• Banned
  • 15,728 posts

HB Donor Silver

Posted 10 November 2016 - 08:20 AM

At the very worst, he'll be status quo.  what the hell is everyone upset about?

oh yeah.  He's a racist, sexist, transophobe, islamaphobe, hispaniphone, arachniphobe, xylephobe. 

#18 TGHusker

Head Coach

• Members
  • 3,845 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 08:24 AM

Quote:

That's one very impressive list.  I am hearing Priebus or Conway could be chief of staff.  They both worked their butts off to help him win last night.

Yes they did.  You can tell Conway really helped to reign him in and helped him to be some what close to message.  She'd be a great press sec but I think her skills are above that.  Policy advisor for sure.  I'd rather her or Priebus be COS vs Kushner. 

#19 Moiraine

Legend

• Members
  • 10,328 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 08:27 AM

oh yeah.  He's a racist, sexist, transophobe, islamaphobe, hispaniphone, arachniphobe, xylephobe. 

Except lots of people don't agree that's the case. Clinton was the status quo candidate.

I'm sure you don't share the same beliefs about these things as non-Republicans, but here's an example of why people are upset:

Donald Trump has selected one of the best-known climate skeptics to lead his U.S. EPA transition team, according to two sources close to the campaign.

Myron Ebell, director of the Center for Energy and Environment at the conservative Competitive Enterprise Institute, is spearheading Trump’s transition plans for EPA, the sources said.

His lobbying clients in 2016 include Koch Companies Public Sector LLC, Southern Company Services, Dow Chemical Co. and Competitive Power Ventures Inc., according to public disclosures.

https://www.scientif...epa-transition/

And I didn't post this to argue about climate change. Let's just say, hypothetically, it's all real and humans are a big factor. Try to have that mindset for a moment. Can you understand why the above is upsetting to people? People who would be upset about that are worried about the future of the entire world. And maybe your response would be that it's only 4-8 years, but in order to put the protections back in place, the Democrats would need to have control of the senate or house or both, and the presidency. They aren't going to have the House for a long time.

I feel like I'm pretty damn open-minded, and I understand that people think all of these government agencies are corrupt and regulations are hurting the economy. But Trump has even talked about getting rid of water regulations, and there isn't even anyone arguing against the fact that there are water shortages.

#20 Red Five

Head Coach

• Members
  • 4,351 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 08:30 AM

Except it won't be status quo.  That would be a Clinton WH and a R congress, aka gridlock (which i am mostly ok with except a few issues).

The Rs will have a blank check to ram through anything they want.

#21 Bigred_inSD

Grad Assistant

• Members
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 08:52 AM

Except it won't be status quo.  That would be a Clinton WH and a R congress, aka gridlock (which i am mostly ok with except a few issues).

The Rs will have a blank check to ram through anything they want.

Just like Obama in his first two years. Then midterm elections showed up people didn't see "progress" and Republicans got some control. Or I believe anyway if memory serves correctly

#22 zoogs

Legend

• Admin
  • 23,278 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 03:21 PM

Not the cabinet, but the transition team:

http://www.dailykos....to-Trump-s-team

Kris Kobach was the architect of the most racist law in modern American history. SB 1070 passed in Arizona in 2010. What did it mean? If you have brown skin or an accent, police had a right to stop you, detain you and demand you prove your citizenship.

c4jt321.png

#23 teachercd

Wizard of Osborne

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,715 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 03:23 PM

There will be "Never Trumpers" on it
Gotta love the PPC

#24 NM11046

Head Coach

• Members
  • 3,459 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 03:26 PM

Sasse might be a dark horse, apparently..? People say Trump has already talked to him and put rewriting ObamaCare solely on him. Ben is regarded as the brightest mind currently on fixing healthcare. 

Thanks for the laugh Atbone!

~All the Presidents' Men

cZtDFbg.png

SaveSave

#25 Red Five

Head Coach

• Members
  • 4,351 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 05:00 PM

No words...

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/796824306105876480

https://twitter.com/khinman/status/796830426790850560

#26 zoogs

Legend

• Admin
  • 23,278 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 05:10 PM

Steve Bannon. One of Trump's geniuses.

#27 WoodyHayes1951

Grad Assistant

• Members
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 05:57 PM

I'd prefer Newt Gingrich go away.

He is a puppet for Sheldon Adelson whose only purpose in life seems to make sure that someone bombs Iran. 

#28 zoogs

Legend

• Admin
  • 23,278 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 07:29 PM

He is a puppet for Sheldon Adelson whose only purpose in life seems to make sure that someone bombs Iran.

In seriousness, where do you figure we go from here with the Iran deal, and in terms of peace with Iran? I'm quite worried. And I'm not sure to what extent that deal is locked in place.

#29 bnilhome

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 07:55 PM

I would disagree.  Newt is one of the most brilliant guys around from either party, and he has a way of looking at a situation through multiple lenses and coming up with the right way to tackle the issue.  He would be great as SOS as he thinks on the fly and is great at negotiating.

2017 Continues to get better and better despite some who want to Resist reality

#30 zoogs

Legend

• Admin
  • 23,278 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 09:30 PM

"One of the most brilliant guys around". That Newt Gingrich? OK.

#31 zoogs

Legend

• Admin
  • 23,278 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 10:33 PM

Vox Sentences today: JP Morgan's CEO might run Trump's Treasury, because populism

We could have had the Elizabeth Warren wing enforcing personnel requirements in a Clinton administration. I think that would have been a productive partnership, if one with healthy tensions. Alas.

Personnel is policy.

One of the featured articles also caught my eye: http://www.thedailyb...&source=twitter

President-elect Donald Trump is scrambling to line up senior officials to run the government’s sprawling intelligence and homeland security bureaucracy.

Team Trump is struggling to fill numerous key slots or even attract many candidates because hundreds have either sworn they’d never work in a Trump administration or have directly turned down requests to join, multiple current and former U.S. officials with direct knowledge of the transition efforts told The Daily Beast.

The best people.

#32 Moiraine

Legend

• Members
  • 10,328 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 10:55 PM

Vox Sentences today: JP Morgan's CEO might run Trump's Treasury, because populism

We could have had the Elizabeth Warren wing enforcing personnel requirements in a Clinton administration. I think that would have been a productive partnership, if one with healthy tensions. Alas.

Personnel is policy.

One of the featured articles also caught my eye: http://www.thedailyb...&source=twitter

President-elect Donald Trump is scrambling to line up senior officials to run the government’s sprawling intelligence and homeland security bureaucracy.

Team Trump is struggling to fill numerous key slots or even attract many candidates because hundreds have either sworn they’d never work in a Trump administration or have directly turned down requests to join, multiple current and former U.S. officials with direct knowledge of the transition efforts told The Daily Beast.

The best people.

That's not good. Smart people who happen to hate him need to work for him regardless. He needs people who aren't yes-men.

#33 WoodyHayes1951

Grad Assistant

• Members
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 10:57 PM

In seriousness, where do you figure we go from here with the Iran deal, and in terms of peace with Iran? I'm quite worried. And I'm not sure to what extent that deal is locked in place.

Iran is no threat to the U.S. and everyone knows this which is why they signed the deal. Does Iran sponsor terrorism? Yeah. So does the U.S unfortunately....I wouldn't vote for Hillary anyway but when she arms "rebels" to illegally overthrow the Libyan government and they leave that country in shambles, that is no better than what Iran does and is much worse than anything Dick Cheney ever did.

I am all for A deal with Iran but the deal does suck and should have been better handled.  It was one of the only things I supported from this presidency because it would have ticked off the Saudis and the Israelis who are just as much to blame for this middle eastern mess as anyone.

Politically speaking It makes no sense to be aggressive towards Iran. Trump is doing this probably for show. He is a businessman, thats how deals get done. He has stated he wants peace with Russia(which is a very good thing). You cannot ally the Eurasia land mass and expect to hold U.S. dominance on the map(If that is the goal which I can only assume it is). The U.S. Navy is essentially unstoppable and controls the world's waterways but there is a self-sustaining area on this world that is impossible to crack if there is an alliance. Russia is part of it, China is part of it, Turkey is part of it, Iran is part of it,etc...They don't need outside resources and they cannot be embargoed if they work together.

You have already pissed off everyone of these countries within the last 4 years in one way or another. Its like they are trying to screw it up. People thought the Cold War was dead, guess what? It never went away and they are trying to isolate Russia by controlling the side that isn't already controlled by Water or European Allies. That is why the U.S. is so crazy about overthrowing Syria and why the Russians are supporting them(Can you blame them? We almost went to Nuclear war for the Cuban Missile Crisis, the U.S. has dozens of bases lined up around Russia)

To summarize it if you want WWIII then you put that no fly zone in Syria  to Provoke Russia and you tear up that Iran deal and antagonize them more. You are already annoying China, the Philippines said they were allying themselves with China(although their dictator said he would speak to Trump), and the leader of Turkey thinks that some dude living in the U.S. was behind the coup which is code for :He thinks the U.S. government is behind it.

#34 zoogs

Legend

• Admin
  • 23,278 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 11:35 PM

That's not good. Smart people who happen to hate him need to work for him regardless. He needs people who aren't yes-men.

On a macro level, we hope for this to be true. On an individual level -- if I have options, and I want to both advance my career and help people, do I choose to work under Donald Trump's security directives? I don't think that's an easy question to answer, and I think the article is describing the cumulative deficit.

If you ask me, the correct thing to do, assuming* we care about the quality with which our intelligence and national security agencies are run, was not to elect as POTUS a guy that the veterans and experts roundly condemned as dangerously unfit.

But we're past that point. The consequences were always inevitable; they are now unavoidable. They will be mitigated, I'm sure. I mean, I hope.

*This is again a cumulative and not individual people's fault sort of deal, but I would argue that the evidence is clear: America didn't really care about that.

#35 huKSer

The Bobfather

• Members2
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 12:13 AM

Please make Brownback Secretary of Ag  Please make Brownback Secretary of Ag  Please make Brownback Secretary of Ag  Please make Brownback Secretary of Ag  Please make Brownback Secretary of Ag  Please make Brownback Secretary of Ag  Please make Brownback Secretary of Ag  Please make Brownback Secretary of Ag  Please make Brownback Secretary of Ag  Please make Brownback Secretary of Ag  Please make Brownback Secretary of Ag  Please make Brownback Secretary of Ag  Please make Brownback Secretary of Ag  Please make Brownback Secretary of Ag  Please make Brownback Secretary of Ag  Please make Brownback Secretary of Ag  Please make Brownback Secretary of Ag  Please make Brownback Secretary of Ag  Please make Brownback Secretary of Ag  Please make Brownback Secretary of Ag  Please make Brownback Secretary of Ag  Please make Brownback Secretary of Ag  Please make Brownback Secretary of Ag  Please make Brownback Secretary of Ag  Please make Brownback Secretary of Ag  Please make Brownback Secretary of Ag  Please make Brownback Secretary of Ag  Please make Brownback Secretary of Ag  Please make Brownback Secretary of Ag  Please make Brownback Secretary of Ag  Please make Brownback Secretary of Ag  Please make Brownback Secretary of Ag  Please make Brownback Secretary of Ag  Please make Brownback Secretary of Ag  Please make Brownback Secretary of Ag  Please make Brownback Secretary of Ag  Please make Brownback Secretary of Ag  Please make Brownback Secretary of Ag  Please make Brownback Secretary of Ag  Please make Brownback Secretary of Ag  Please make Brownback Secretary of Ag  Please make Brownback Secretary of Ag  Please make Brownback Secretary of Ag  Please make Brownback Secretary of Ag  Please make Brownback Secretary of Ag  Please make Brownback Secretary of Ag  Please make Brownback Secretary of Ag  Please make Brownback Secretary of Ag  Please make Brownback Secretary of Ag  Please make Brownback Secretary of Ag  Please make Brownback Secretary of Ag  

#36 Red Five

Head Coach

• Members
  • 4,351 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 08:57 AM

Now that Sheriff Joe Arpaio is out of a job, his name is being floated for the Secretary of Homeland Security.

You can't make this stuff up...

#37 TGHusker

Head Coach

• Members
  • 3,845 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 09:21 AM

I don't like the fact that Crispy Cream Christi is the head of the transition team.  I trust him as far as I can throw him - and you know that outcome.  The campaign advisor from Brietbart is being considered as Chief of Staff - ugh.  Bushites are being considered so I've heard. We don't need retreads.  We need new people wt new ideas who aren't beholding to the old order. 

#38 TGHusker

Head Coach

• Members
  • 3,845 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 09:24 AM

I would disagree.  Newt is one of the most brilliant guys around from either party, and he has a way of looking at a situation through multiple lenses and coming up with the right way to tackle the issue.  He would be great as SOS as he thinks on the fly and is great at negotiating.

I agree Bnil.  SOS or Chief of Staff.   I think he might be better as COS to help with policy, keep Trump close to his conservative promises, cut through congressional BS and deal wt McConnel who I see as a potential hindrance and is just a partisan hack wanting to protect his territory. 

#39 WoodyHayes1951

Grad Assistant

• Members
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 12:13 PM

I don't like the fact that Crispy Cream Christi is the head of the transition team.  I trust him as far as I can throw him - and you know that outcome.  The campaign advisor from Brietbart is being considered as Chief of Staff - ugh.  Bushites are being considered so I've heard. We don't need retreads.  We need new people wt new ideas who aren't beholding to the old order. 

Keep the Bush family and their allies the hell out of the White House.

The same with anyone in the Obama syndicate.

#40 RedDenver

Head Coach

• Members
  • 4,733 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 12:45 PM

I wonder when the "genius" surrogates like Jeffrey Lord, Katrina Pierson, Kayleigh McEnany, etc. start getting positions of power.

#41 cornstar

Backup

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 02:02 PM

Personnel is policy.

President-elect Donald Trump is scrambling to line up senior officials to run the governments sprawling intelligence and homeland security bureaucracy.

Team Trump is struggling to fill numerous key slots or even attract many candidates because hundreds have either sworn theyd never work in a Trump administration or have directly turned down requests to join, multiple current and former U.S. officials with direct knowledge of the transition efforts told The Daily Beast.

The best people.

I agree.

Let's be honest, those who hate Trump are/were going to ridicule his cabinet choices regardless.

#42 zoogs

Legend

• Admin
  • 23,278 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 02:44 PM

Trump's head of the EPA Transition Team: http://www.nytimes.c...p-epa.html?_r=0

Mr. Ebell, who revels in taking on the scientific consensus on global warming, will be Mr. Trump’s lead agent in choosing personnel and setting the direction of the federal agencies that address climate change and environmental policy more broadly.

No science background. Longtime climate change denier. Once hired by Big Tobacco to tear down anti-tobacco legislation. Currently funded by Coal.

#FightThePower?

#43 Moiraine

Legend

• Members
  • 10,328 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 02:47 PM

Trump's head of the EPA Transition Team: http://www.nytimes.c...p-epa.html?_r=0

Mr. Ebell, who revels in taking on the scientific consensus on global warming, will be Mr. Trumps lead agent in choosing personnel and setting the direction of the federal agencies that address climate change and environmental policy more broadly.

No science background. Longtime climate change denier. Once hired by Big Tobacco to tear down anti-tobacco legislation. Currently funded by Coal.

#FightThePower?

IIRC Bush's head of the EPA was a former oil company exec. It's like we're going back in time.

#44 NM11046

Head Coach

• Members
  • 3,459 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 02:47 PM

He named his 3 older kids and his son in law as members of the executive transition committee ... in addition to some big donors.

I know there are rules about nepotism in a paid position in his cabinet (I think anyway) but does anybody else bristle to hear how much responsibility he is laying out for those kids?  I am just not sure what background they have or experience that would be appropriate.  

~All the Presidents' Men

cZtDFbg.png

SaveSave

#45 ColoNoCoHusker

Blackshirt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 02:49 PM

He named his 3 older kids and his son in law as members of the executive transition committee ... in addition to some big donors.

I know there are rules about nepotism in a paid position in his cabinet (I think anyway) but does anybody else bristle to hear how much responsibility he is laying out for those kids?  I am just not sure what background they have or experience that would be appropriate.  

#DraintheSwamp #PoliticalOutsiders woot, woot!!!

EDIT: In all seriousness, trying to Govern is not like running a business. Government is about facilitation. While change might be needed, failing to understand history, precedent, and how things work is the worst type of extravagant ignorance. Deniers, apologists, and family are not going to bring any kind of positive change. Should be fun to watch /s

#46 zoogs

Legend

• Admin
  • 23,278 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 06:47 PM

WaPo: What derigging the system looks like so far

NYT: A Bonanza For Lobbyists

Prominent Washington lobbyists also said that Mr. Trump would arrive in the capital with a much smaller contingent of veteran policy advisers than Hillary Clinton would have brought — and they see that relative inexperience as an opening. So they are prepared to draft legislation and regulations to quietly pass to allies on Capitol Hill and in the White House.

It looks like a lot of prominent lobbyists and powerplayers making competing, probably successful bids to influence a policy-light administration.

I guess by "Drain The Swap" they really meant "Double Down on the Status Quo", eh?

I'm stunned, stunned. I mean, how could this possibly happen.

#47 Moiraine

Legend

• Members
  • 10,328 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 07:17 PM

Prominent Washington lobbyists also said that Mr. Trump would arrive in the capital with a much smaller contingent of veteran policy advisers than Hillary Clinton would have brought — and they see that relative inexperience as an opening. So they are prepared to draft legislation and regulations to quietly pass to allies on Capitol Hill and in the White House.

It looks like a lot of prominent lobbyists and powerplayers making competing, probably successful bids to influence a policy-light administration.

I guess by "Drain The Swap" they really meant "Double Down on the Status Quo", eh?

Could it be because Trump is a billionaire who has lived in New York City all/most of his life and is not a hard-working, salt of the earth, small town factory worker from Ohio?

#48 NM11046

Head Coach

• Members
  • 3,459 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 07:24 PM

Prominent Washington lobbyists also said that Mr. Trump would arrive in the capital with a much smaller contingent of veteran policy advisers than Hillary Clinton would have brought and they see that relative inexperience as an opening. So they are prepared to draft legislation and regulations to quietly pass to allies on Capitol Hill and in the White House.

I see what tou did there. Nice.

~All the Presidents' Men

cZtDFbg.png

SaveSave

#49 jsneb83

The Bobfather

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,499 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 12:34 AM

Except lots of people don't agree that's the case. Clinton was the status quo candidate.

I'm sure you don't share the same beliefs about these things as non-Republicans, but here's an example of why people are upset:

Donald Trump has selected one of the best-known climate skeptics to lead his U.S. EPA transition team, according to two sources close to the campaign.

Myron Ebell, director of the Center for Energy and Environment at the conservative Competitive Enterprise Institute, is spearheading Trump’s transition plans for EPA, the sources said.

His lobbying clients in 2016 include Koch Companies Public Sector LLC, Southern Company Services, Dow Chemical Co. and Competitive Power Ventures Inc., according to public disclosures.

And I didn't post this to argue about climate change. Let's just say, hypothetically, it's all real and humans are a big factor. Try to have that mindset for a moment. Can you understand why the above is upsetting to people? People who would be upset about that are worried about the future of the entire world. And maybe your response would be that it's only 4-8 years, but in order to put the protections back in place, the Democrats would need to have control of the senate or house or both, and the presidency. They aren't going to have the House for a long time.

I feel like I'm pretty damn open-minded, and I understand that people think all of these government agencies are corrupt and regulations are hurting the economy. But Trump has even talked about getting rid of water regulations, and there isn't even anyone arguing against the fact that there are water shortages.

It doesn't even need to be about climate change. At the current rates, there is only about 40-50 years worth of oil in proven reserves and 100 years of coal in proven reserves. So with our two most dependent resources of energy being nonrenewable and only having a limited number years left, we have to continue making strides in renewable energy. I'm just afraid that an administration that doesn't believe in climate change is going to cut funding for these renewable energy programs and give businesses less incentive to use clean energy.

0RJkVYa.png
"Not the victory but the action; Not the goal but the game; In the deed the glory"

#50 Moiraine

Legend

• Members
  • 10,328 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 12:41 AM

It doesn't even need to be about climate change. At the current rates, there is only about 40-50 years worth of oil in proven reserves and 100 years of coal in proven reserves. So with our two most dependent resources of energy being nonrenewable and only having a limited number years left, we have to continue making strides in renewable energy. I'm just afraid that an administration that doesn't believe in climate change is going to cut funding for these renewable energy programs and give businesses less incentive to use clean energy.

Yes, I agree. I think we might have more years of oil now with the potentially earth-quake causing fracking, but it will run out eventually. There are also lots of other ways we're polluting the earth that are very bad for us, even if climate change was made up by Elvis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users