Trump's cabinet

2 hours ago, dudeguyy said:

All of these firings - every single one - are merely ancillary.

The problem is at the top, and it always has been.

I wouldn't necessarily say...merely ancillary.

Yes, the main problem is Trump himself.  He is the one in charge and he is THE major problem.

However, we have seen over the last 7 months how easily he is swayed by who is talking in his ear.  We have seen the disaster on many occasions with Bannon whispering in his ear.  Now....HOPEFULLY, people like Ivanka can put someone in front of Trump that is at least reasonable on the issues.  I know....it's a pipe dream.  But, with Bannon gone, at least there's a chance.  

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I wouldn't necessarily say...merely ancillary.

Yes, the main problem is Trump himself.  He is the one in charge and he is THE major problem.

However, we have seen over the last 7 months how easily he is swayed by who is talking in his ear.  We have seen the disaster on many occasions with Bannon whispering in his ear.  Now....HOPEFULLY, people like Ivanka can put someone in front of Trump that is at least reasonable on the issues.  I know....it's a pipe dream.  But, with Bannon gone, at least there's a chance.  

Not so fast, my friend.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-breakingviews-idUSKCN1AY243

[...] Bannon leaves behind several mini-mes, including senior policy advisor Stephen Miller, who has become a Trump favorite. 

[...]

On trade, Miller is backed by former University of California economics professor Peter Navarro, who is head of Trump’s trade council. Along with Bannon, he has advocated starting a trade war with China by imposing tariffs on steel and other goods.

Knapp had a good counterpoint to your hopes above, BRB.

Bannon is just being tossed off the ship because Trump needs to stop the bleeding after his bad week. This is more PR move than personnel move.

Bannon is not out of Trump's circle, and won't stop having an influence on him.  This move really means next to nothing.

Bannon and his billionaire donor are already working on their next moves. Trump has kept in contact with Corey Lewandoski after he was fired as his original campaign manager, and Roger Ailes stayed on as an advisor even after it was revealed he was a serial sexual predator of women.

Bannon isn't going to just go away. I think this just frees him up to rail on his "globalist" (or, as others have noticed, the Jewish people inside the Trump administration) from outside the WH. I'm sure he'll still be in Trump's ear pushing his agenda.

• Plus1 1

Yeah. From atop his media empire perch, Bannon may just end up having a different kind of sway. We'll see.

Paul Krugman outlines a worry about the fallout: https://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2017/08/18/whither-trumpism/?mcubz=0

So if Bannon is out, what’s left? It’s just reverse Robin Hood with extra racism.

On real policy, in other words, Trump is now bankrupt.

But he does have the racism thing. And my prediction is that with Bannon and economic nationalism gone, he will eventually double down on that part even more. If anything, Trumpism is going to get even uglier, and Trump even less presidential (if such a thing is possible) now that he has fewer people pushing for trade wars.

• Plus1 2

This is well said. Trump is irredeemable, and because he lays himself bare every time he "goes upstairs" beyond his advisors' control and influence, we all know this. We all know who he is and what he's made of.

There's no honor in pretending otherwise. There's no honor in those who labor (skillfully, as Gen. Kelly, or poorly, as The Mooch) to conceal these things and put ab better face on the administration. 

Steve Mnuchin calls his shot: 

tl;dr -- the President is great and actually "gets it", the media-fanned "culture wars" are terrible, and he wants to see the Trump agenda prevail. Thus he's happy where he's at and will keep working for these things.

2 hours ago, Moiraine said:

170820100216-camp-david-twitter-photo-ex

Our president looking super important and serious.

Photographer prior to the shot:

"Ok, hands loose, look relaxed.  Mr. Sessions can you stand up a bit taller?  No?  Ok.  We need one woman, can someone ask that gal in the hallway to step up here inbetween a couple guys.  Any minorities we can grab?  No?  How about a confederate flag or monument?  Too much? Ok.  Alright now folks, this is a very important, blank piece of paper - look serious.  I'm going to count to three and you can choose, say: immigrant/black/gay/muslim/woman - nice.  Very good mean angry faces."