Trump's cabinet

OK...my disdain for this administration is well known (or it should be).  But, am I the only one that doesn't expect the members of a President's cabinet that head up entire government departments to fly commercial?

Take your feelings about this particular administration out of it.  Assume there is a glorious administration in the white house that is doing great things for America and we are all sitting around singing happy songs.  Do you really expect these people to fly commercial?  If the fly privately, it protects them from some crazy.  They can hopefully be more productive while traveling by having their own schedule, being in private to have constructive conversations...etc.

This entire issue just seems like one of those issues that are blown up for political reasons.  Their travel expenses on private planes is literally meaningless in the grand scheme of running the government with the size of budget they work with.

I would suspect flying private isn't a new thing.   If the price isn't that much diff than commercial, then for efficiency sake I don't see it as a big deal - as it is miniature in comparison to the budget.   Yes, they should set example of being budget wise - especially as they seek to cut the budget in many areas.  I'm more concerned about lobbyists providing free airfare / junkets for congressmen and cabinet officials.  Then you have the possibility of corruption and excessive influence.  

I see a couple of reasons this travel issue gained prominence.

The most obvious is the tendency of the GOP to complain about government waste and excess when they are not in power. For instance, I posted a video from a news interview with Tom Price the congressman (long before he was Sec of HHS) complaining about how much government officials traveling with private plane cost the American taxpayers. He was trying to argue we needed to gut that to save money. So when it's uncovered that years down the road he himself abused it so flagrantly it was obvious that he teed himself up as a huge hypocrite. This applies across the board for some of these conservatives who wail and shriek about debt reduction... until it's their turn to waste money.

The second is the manner some of them are using these private planes. I saw this about Sec Zinke's travels the other day:

So obviously I think the fact that a lot of these people are using these trips for personal getaways (in this case, fundraisers) to such luxurious ends ticks a lot of people off. Hell, Mnuchin taking a government plane with his wife so they could watch the eclipse from the top of Fort Knox is the kind of crap you can make up.

In the end, you're right. If they were doing a good and honest job and using it explicitly for government business, that wouldn't be a big deal. But they're not. They're using it for their own personal reasons, and one heck of a lot of them are massive hypocrites in so doing. On top of the fact taxpayers already foot the bill for every single one of Trump's trips to his precious golf resorts & the protection/travel (?) expenses for his family's lavish vacation schedule, it's getting to be a bit much. Especially considering how many of these people are rich?

• Plus1 1

50 minutes ago, dudeguyy said:

The most obvious is the tendency of the GOP to complain about government waste and excess when they are not in power. For instance, I posted a video from a news interview with Tom Price the congressman (long before he was Sec of HHS) complaining about how much government officials traveling with private plane cost the American taxpayers. He was trying to argue we needed to gut that to save money. So when it's uncovered that years down the road he himself abused it so flagrantly it was obvious that he teed himself up as a huge hypocrite. This applies across the board for some of these conservatives who wail and shriek about debt reduction... until it's their turn to waste money.

This right here is why this is being brought up now so much.  It was idiotic for him to make such a big deal of it before when he made his statements.....and.....those statements are the reason why he got pounded for it when he took over his job.

And...yes...private vacation travel should be on their own dime.

I wouldn't have necessarily locked in on it - but Id like to know what previous administrations have done.  

I have a feeling that if Obama's admin was taking a similar number of private flights the Trumps would have trotted that out immediately themselves or via Fox News rather that fire Price. So I'm left assuming that what they've done is egregious. 

17 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

I fly the shuttle from Boston to NYC and DC and take the Acela to those places often and theres a fair number of recognizable folks from politics.  Shoot - Biden took the train!

Also, you get to talk to people you govern when you take public transportation. It would be a shame to have to talk to people you govern and effect daily.