Trump's cabinet

That's David Tennant as Dr. Who. Although I'm not very familiar with the series, it looks like it's from his goodbye episode (The Doctor "regenerates" with some regularity into new actors/bodies).

It's from Doctor Who S04E13 "Journey's End".

Donna's human mind becomes overwhelmed by the Time Lord knowledge and starts to deteriorate. To save her life, the Doctor is forced to wipe her mind against her wishes, and explains to her mother Sylvia (Jacqueline King) and grandfather Wilfred Mott (Bernard Cribbins) that Donna must never remember him or anything that they did otherwise she will die. As the Doctor leaves, Wilfred promises that he will never forget the Doctor on his granddaughter's behalf.

So, in short, Donna (the Doctor's companion) had to return home to a mundane life and had to be wiped of any experiences of the Doctor because she acted to save him and do what was right (when the Doctor couldn't--he murdered his enemies the Daleks in spite of his stance on the issue), and Donna is punished for it.

Pretty much the Doctor had a s*** sandwich of an adventure, did something wrong to fix a wrong (murdered a war-mongering species), and instead of him paying for it, his companion did. And honestly, it's par for the course with companions--they don't always have happy endings (e.g. Clara, Amy and Rory, Petra, Rose (Bad Wolf), Sarah Jane). Part of the charm and drama with the series.

giphy.gif

• Fire 2

Trump Just Dismissed the People in Charge of Maintaining our Nuclear Arsenal

TL;DR: Most appointed positions resign at noon on Inauguration day but essential positions (like the people who maintain our nukes) typically stay on until their replacements are found to provide a smooth transition. No appointed heads of the NNSA (National Nuclear Security Administration) means no one is there to advocate for them when we draw up a budget.

I don't understand why he'd do this besides petty vindictiveness. I guess he'd rather purge Obama employees than have a functioning nuclear program. This is an example of his management style leading him down a bad road.

Dismissing the people in charge of the nukes. Selecting Rick Perry as Secretary of Energy, a position where the last 4 were Ivy League, MIT educated nuclear physicists.

So how do you Trumpeters and GOPers reconcile this?

• Fire 2

Good advice Vector, and much better in tone than my post.

Typically I'm more positive and optimistic, this tool just has me in the dumps. But, I am committed to standing up for what's right, being vocal and trying to stay on the educated and rational side of an argument. It just makes me sad that we have to carry this load for 4 years. I expect it from Trump, I'm very disheartened and upset with the current GOP. Them folding and vacillating in order to not get a twitter rebuke is horrifying to watch. I know many of them are supposedly good people - but they're showing zero competence right now.

If they're folding and vacillating in order to not get a Twitter rebuke...then I would question if they're good people to begin with.

For example, we at least have John McCain standing up for what is right re: Russian hacking/influence/fake news and our national security. I don't agree with him all of the time, but he's pretty moderate in a state and party that is anything but anymore.

It's just too bad he didn't get a better VP pick, or I would have voted for him. Could you imagine Palin's special brand of crazy running around the White House and worrying if McCain was going to keel over during his term(s)?

Even McCain was cautious about what he would say though. Right now he and Rand Paul w/the health care push back are giving me teeny tiny hope, but I'm really surprised at their lack of emotion (or maybe it's caution) that they're challenging him with.

If they're folding and vacillating in order to not get a Twitter rebuke...then I would question if they're good people to begin with.

Bad news, man. This is from a former longtime WSJ journalist who I assume is still well connected:

We're so screwed. In many cases these are the people who said they'd act as a check on him. Pathetic spineless fools worried about their own reelection over what's good for the country. Truly party over country.

FWIW, I share your sentiment about McCain. He's a good man. I wish he wouldn't have sold out on the Maverick narrative to pick someone so horribly vetted as Palin. Story I heard was he actually wanted Joe Lieberman, but the party thought it was politically untenable since Lieberman believed in abortion and had a slew of other liberal views. So they forced Palin on him without properly vetting her.

Good advice Vector, and much better in tone than my post.

Typically I'm more positive and optimistic, this tool just has me in the dumps. But, I am committed to standing up for what's right, being vocal and trying to stay on the educated and rational side of an argument. It just makes me sad that we have to carry this load for 4 years. I expect it from Trump, I'm very disheartened and upset with the current GOP. Them folding and vacillating in order to not get a twitter rebuke is horrifying to watch. I know many of them are supposedly good people - but they're showing zero competence right now.

For example, we at least have John McCain standing up for what is right re: Russian hacking/influence/fake news and our national security. I don't agree with him all of the time, but he's pretty moderate in a state and party that is anything but anymore.

It's just too bad he didn't get a better VP pick, or I would have voted for him. Could you imagine Palin's special brand of crazy running around the White House and worrying if McCain was going to keel over during his term(s)?

Even McCain was cautious about what he would say though. Right now he and Rand Paul w/the health care push back are giving me teeny tiny hope, but I'm really surprised at their lack of emotion (or maybe it's caution) that they're challenging him with.

FWIW for anyone who is concerned about the way you're being represented, a call to your representatives is probably always the best way to make your voice heard directly. I know I'm going to be calling both of my Senators (Fischer and Sasse) to support Senate Bill 27 calling for an independent panel to investigate the Russian hackings and Trump's possible ties to Russia.

S.27:

A bill to establish an independent commission to examine and report on the facts regarding the extent of Russian official and unofficial cyber operations and other attempts to interfere in the 2016 United States national election, and for other purposes.

I just think it's too important and after the Benghazi/email investigations I don't trust the chuckleheads in Congress to investigate anything in a non-partisan manner. An independent group seems best to me.

Don't think there's much we can do on healthcare other than buckle up.

Surrounding himself with the best people...

Trump national security pick Monica Crowley plagiarized multiple sources in 2012 book

Conservative author and television personality Monica Crowley, whom Donald Trump has tapped for a top national security communications role, plagiarized large sections of her 2012 book, a CNN KFile review has found.

The review of Crowleys June 2012 book, "What The (Bleep) Just Happened," found upwards of 50 examples of plagiarism from numerous sources, including the copying with minor changes of news articles, other columnists, think tanks, and Wikipedia. The New York Times bestseller, published by the HarperCollins imprint Broadside Books, contains no notes or bibliography.

When it rains, it pours. Same woman.

Seems to be a bit of a pattern.

• Fire 3

Dr.-Who.gif

Fru - can you give this obviously uncool person (aka me) some reference point or background on this?

edit: I think it's a Doctor Who episode, but I haven't gotten into that series yet.

This was the last episode for one of the Doctor's companions, Donna Noble. Although the Doctor & Donna didn't start off getting along very well, their mutual love for always being right combined with very stiff-necked personalities gave them common ground. At one point, Donna and the Doctor kind of merged (long story) so they really, REALLY understood each other. It helped Donna save the Universe, but the Doctor had to block off part of her mind because her human brain couldn't handle his alien mind - it would burn her alive from the inside. So he shut off all parts of her memory that included him, took her back home to her mother & grandfather, and left on his own.

This specific image is when he's standing outside Donna's home, talking to her grandfather Wilfred just after the Doctor tried to say goodbye to Donna, but she didn't know who he was and she just blew him off - that's the quote I put up there ^^^^ where she dismissively half says to him, "OK... yeah. Bye." The Doctor then goes off to the Tardis (his ship) and regenerates into the next iteration (Matt Smith).

• Fire 2

Surrounding himself with the best people...

Trump national security pick Monica Crowley plagiarized multiple sources in 2012 book

Conservative author and television personality Monica Crowley, whom Donald Trump has tapped for a top national security communications role, plagiarized large sections of her 2012 book, a CNN KFile review has found.

The review of Crowleys June 2012 book, "What The (Bleep) Just Happened," found upwards of 50 examples of plagiarism from numerous sources, including the copying with minor changes of news articles, other columnists, think tanks, and Wikipedia. The New York Times bestseller, published by the HarperCollins imprint Broadside Books, contains no notes or bibliography.

When it rains, it pours. Same woman.

Seems to be a bit of a pattern.

Yes, but you're overlooking the fact that she "looks the part", which Donnie has said is an important factor in his selections.