Trump's cabinet

15219653_1271355676240787_76725592766422

I'm not against the voucher idea because I haven't researched it. I've read more about DeVos than just the blurb above and she's been an advocate for vouchers for years but I've yet to see any evidence of her expertise in why the system isn't working now, or why her idea is better, and I haven't seen that she's done any real research on it. She graduated with an unrelated degree. You could probably randomly pick a professor from UNL in the teacher's college who understands what's going on better than she does.

Which brings me to the topic of the type of people who tend to be elected and also those who are appointed to positions like this. Not just education but take your pick on the position.

Why in the holy hell do we not elect/appoint researchers who are experts in their fields?

• Fire 1

I'm not against the voucher idea because I haven't researched it. I've read more about DeVos than just the blurb above and she's been an advocate for vouchers for years but I've yet to see any evidence of her expertise in why the system isn't working now, or why her idea is better, and I haven't seen that she's done any real research on it. She graduated with an unrelated degree. You could probably randomly pick a professor from UNL in the teacher's college who understands what's going on better than she does.

Which brings me to the topic of the type of people who tend to be elected and also those who are appointed to positions like this. Not just education but take your pick on the position.

Why in the holy hell do we not elect/appoint researchers who are experts in their fields?

Here's a link on both ladies that doesn't have an agenda attached to it.

http://freebeacon.com/issues/trump-taps-devos-lead-education-department/

http://freebeacon.com/issues/donald-trumps-u-n-pick-was-first-governor-to-sign-anti-bds-legislation/

Well....it's going to be interesting.

DeVoss is an interesting pick. I'm very interested in charter schools and she seems like someone that isn't going to cater to the teachers union. That can be good.

She has to realize though that no matter what, the majority of kids are gong to be educated in public schools under her administration.

Haley still baffles me. The article seemed like it really struggled to come up with something substantive to say about her foreign policy experience. Signing a bill or making a public statement isn't that impressive.

Here's a link on both ladies that doesn't have an agenda attached to it.

http://freebeacon.com/issues/trump-taps-devos-lead-education-department/

http://freebeacon.com/issues/donald-trumps-u-n-pick-was-first-governor-to-sign-anti-bds-legislation/

a) What are we supposed to gain from reading the first article? I read it, and there's no explanation on why she's pro charter school/school choice. No explanation on why it's better or what it fixes.

There's an anecdote about her school but it doesn't compre her school in Grand Rapids to any other schools in Grand Rapids. I did a 2 minute search. In the rankings where her school got a silver medal, a Grand Rapids public school got a gold medal. #47 in the entire country. http://www.usnews.com/education/best-high-schools/national-rankings

I haven't seen evidence (for or against) giving all students this choice. Where I'm from the public school is great. I want someone who has researched this or has had lots of contact with researchers in charge. I haven't seen evidence of that.

They've thrown the word advocate around a lot but haven't explained why she is an advocate for it. There were advocates for No Child Left Behind and their evidence was crap. For one, they used standardized testing which hasn't been shown to be an accurate measure of learning or intelligence. It just made those companies lots of $.

b) If someone posted an article from Mother Jones would you think there was an agenda attached to it?

When you appoint people like DeVos (or Bannon, vis a vis Breitbart), people who have a vested financial interest in pushing a certain agenda, you're going to get questions and they should be welcomed. So far, I've seen Trump ignore almost all the questions asked about his transition, and a senior advisor say people criticizing him "need to get a life."

This administration is clearly going to have a problem with criticism and scrutiny.

Lol. They're just flat out admitting they were lying now. Good for them.

Wow....so.....we have a president and all his surrogates and followers saying...."all that stuff he promised and said he would do in the election was BS...because we had to say awful outrageous stuff to get deplorable people to vote for him "

This is just golden.

I don't think it's a stretch that most candidates say things they really don't mean. I think I could see through the rhetoric, that's why I wasn't having a coniption when he was elected.

The use of the word deplorables.....I hope that you're better than that.

Flash summary on -- am I using the term correctly? -- "self-avowed Leninist" and new White House Chief Strategist Steve Bannon.

New Yorker: "The elevation of Bannon to a powerful position in the White House is an epochal event in American politics"...

This was the opening that Bannon had been looking for. He despised Fox News and Rupert Murdoch, whom he believes is a globalist, and he saw Priebus and the Republican leaders in Congress, such as Paul Ryan and Eric Cantor, as enemies. Breitbart became the hub of resistance to the immigration-reform effort, developing strong ties to Alabama Senator Jeff Sessions, who was leading the opposition in the Senate. More ominously, it started cultivating a little-noticed movement of disenchanted conservatives who argued that the right should promote a restoration of white culture.

You and your liberal peers on here are comical. If you are not blaming the Russians and whining about the election results you are instead still on the Bannon bashing. I peruse some of the lefty sites just to see what they are saying (like salon, slate, huffpo, etc...) and it appears you are falling in line with them well.

Back in 2008 after Obama was elected and some of my peers were freaking out like you are now, I gave them some advice....give the guy a chance to prove you wrong after several months in office. I would recommend the same for you.

Trump =/= Obama.

Bannon's elevation is not normal.

If you're on board with it, feel free to express that.

I would rephrase your initial statement...thankfully Trump is not Obama. And I will stand by my comment earlier to relax a little and give the guy a chance. The persistent Trump bashing the the left and all the celebrities will only help Trump out in the end.