Trump's America

zoogs

Make sure to add this to his legal trouble thread Dude. He's something else huh?

We can only hope this makes it to SCOTUS and quickly.

Between the legal challenges coming down the pike for some of these orders, and the Whitford v. Gill case headed to SCOTUS soon to rule on gerrymandering, I'm suddenly much more interested in the high courts.

It's a shame there will be no Merrick Garland to hear some of these cases. :(

Bel Air Police detain woman walking, question her immigration status

On the morning of Dec. 21, Aravinda Pillalamarri was walking in her Bel Air neighborhood, where she walks all the time, when she said she was stopped by a Bel Air Police Department officer.

When she responded to his question about what she was doing – that she was walking – Pillalamarri says the questions continued.

When she asked why the officer was asking her so many questions, he replied because someone had called police.

"Walking while brown?" Pillalamarri said she then asked the officer.

A police supervisor arrived and began to question Pillalamarri, more aggressively, she said, and told her she wasn't free to leave because she "was under criminal investigation."

He asked why she didn't have identification with her.

"Why don't you have ID?" she said the supervisor asked her. "Are you here illegally?"

Once the officers had run her name through their computer system, Pillalamarri said, she was allowed to leave and walked to her home, just a few doors away.

Pillalamarri, 47, has lived in Bel Air for more than 30 years and is a U.S. citizen. Her parents came to America from India when she was a baby. She went to Bel Air High School.

Bel Air Police Department Chief Charles Moore, who's led the agency since September 2015, said he's not sure if his department has a policy specifically dealing with questioning a person's immigration status, but added: "If there isn't one, there will be."

Hours after Trump signs Muslim ban, Texas mosque goes up in flames

Feeling safer yet? I am horrified at some of the stuff I'm reading this morning.

• Fire 1

President Trump’s executive order banning people from seven Muslim-majority countries from entering the U.S. also applies to green card holders from those countries, the Department of Homeland Security said Saturday.

"It will bar green card holders," acting DHS spokeswoman Gillian Christensen told Reuters.

Green cards serve as proof of an individual’s permanent legal residence in the U.S.

Link

• Fire 1

I don't even know what to say anymore. My head hurts for the people who fell for this clown, my heart hurts for those who continue to fall for this horrible human being. What will it take for them to realize he's an out of control monster?

Sure, some people will say they were tricked because they didn't think Trump would do all the things he said during the campaign but for the rest....this is what they want. It wasn't any secret that Trump planned to block Muslims from entering the country if he won.

My parents are celebrating these changes and right now it's tough for me to even want to speak to them because of how horrible this all is.

• Fire 3

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/28/us/refugees-detained-at-us-airports-prompting-legal-challenges-to-trumps-immigration-order.html?_r=0

Shortly after noon on Saturday, Hameed Khalid Darweesh, an interpreter who worked on behalf of the United States government in Iraq, was released. After nearly 19 hours of detention, Mr. Darweesh began to cry as he spoke to reporters, putting his hands behind his back and miming handcuffs.

“What I do for this country? They put the cuffs on,” Mr. Darweesh said. “You know how many soldiers I touch by this hand?”

Seyed Soheil Saeedi Saravi, a leading young scientist in Iran, had been scheduled to travel in the coming days to Boston, where he had been awarded a fellowship to study cardiovascular medicine at Harvard, according to Thomas Michel, the professor who was to supervise the research fellowship.

But Professor Michel said the visas for the student and his wife had been indefinitely suspended.

Shadi Heidarifar, a philosophy student recently admitted to New York University, said in a message on Twitter that she had spent three years applying to universities in the United States.

“I had to work to save money, gather documents. The application fees were so expensive that a whole family could live for a month” on them, Ms. Heidarifar wrote. When she was accepted recently, she was elated. “But now my entire future is destroyed in one second.”

Is this something something #NegotiateFromPower #Learn2Trump?

Or giving into fear? Hurting people to make ourselves feel better?

I'm quite disgusted and ashamed. One thing I am not is surprised. We ALL should have seen this coming. It required zero divination, zero particular foresight.

As Whistle said, this is truly what a lot of Americans want their country to be. Shame on us.

• Fire 5

Things that make you go hmmm...

Those countries (Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, and UAE) have the infrastructure in place to allow them to identify and screen who is getting on their airplanes perhaps?

Are you implying that people in Iran, Iraq, Syria, Sudan, Libya, Yemen and Somalia can just get on any old airplane and fly to America?

• Fire 3