Trump's America

zoogs

There is a freaking problem in this country from a social acceptance stand point. Radicalization comes from being "close-minded" and social media/internet. I'm convinced that a common theme among either side becoming so upset with the other is due to the pure exposure to it. It's a sad obsession. One that I see in my god forsaken father-in-law and also my wife's sister's boyfriend who lives in Nashville.

It's a step by step process. You have a view point on life that is developed through your up bringing before and through college. You start making decisions based on those beliefs and then you read opinion pieces by agenda driven news outlets (each outlet has an agenda). From here is when you start the ridiculously repetitive cycle of....

1. Read dog poo opinion media piece (left or right)

2. Get pissed off.

3. Spew through whatever avenue/platform you wish (facebook, twitter, huskerboard, face to face)

4. Put toe into the quick sand of self made "depression" or in the case of my father in law or sis in law's bf "paranoia"

When someone does this. They are truly awful to be around because their lives are so completely entrenched into this cycle that they become isolated. Isolation is definitely when things get worse. It can take a person from not being a threat, to being a total threat. There's nothing keeping that person from acting out because odds are, he ain't with a woman unless that woman is also caught in the cycle, probably has no kids...etc.

LOMS had a great tweet today about the people that love/promote "white privilege" never look like they belong in that category....or something along those lines.

Through all of this, the main issue is people obsession with information, regardless of stance, through the internet. The internet is a wonderful tool, but I truly believe it set us on this path of divide.

I truly think Trump is the worst guy for the job of healing the divide, but, my hope for him as president was to tackle economy and American business. I didn't want him to get caught up in the social (in)justice war that currently feels like it will never improve.

i will give trump some credit if he puts the white supremacists groups back on the terror watch list. his administration took them off the list and it's their duty to get them back on. mere words will mean nothing at this point. he has emboldened them and now if he doesn't really like them he must do his job and protect us all from these violent groups who have killed more americans than isis has.

• Fire 2

It should be done - but I won't give him credit.

He had multiple opportunities in the last 48 hours to be a leader, say and do the right thing for this country. Anything done now is due to pressure, or purely because someone else with balls makes the decision to do something without his guidance.

He has made his alliances known. That innate beliefs that this man and those surrounding him have do not go away.

• Fire 1

That's an awful lot of investment in an argument that distills to "too much information" and "regardless of stance." I agree about isolation, but political engagement should be more, not less -- and there is no stance neutrality, "left or the right" dimension to what is going on here.

There is a freaking problem in this country from a social acceptance stand point. Radicalization comes from being "close-minded" and social media/internet. I'm convinced that a common theme among either side becoming so upset with the other is due to the pure exposure to it. It's a sad obsession. One that I see in my god forsaken father-in-law and also my wife's sister's boyfriend who lives in Nashville.

It's a step by step process. You have a view point on life that is developed through your up bringing before and through college. You start making decisions based on those beliefs and then you read opinion pieces by agenda driven news outlets (each outlet has an agenda). From here is when you start the ridiculously repetitive cycle of....

2. Get pissed off.

3. Spew through whatever avenue/platform you wish (facebook, twitter, huskerboard, face to face)

4. Put toe into the quick sand of self made "depression" or in the case of my father in law or sis in law's bf "paranoia"

When someone does this. They are truly awful to be around because their lives are so completely entrenched into this cycle that they become isolated. Isolation is definitely when things get worse. It can take a person from not being a threat, to being a total threat. There's nothing keeping that person from acting out because odds are, he ain't with a woman unless that woman is also caught in the cycle, probably has no kids...etc.

LOMS had a great tweet today about the people that love/promote "white privilege" never look like they belong in that category....or something along those lines.

Through all of this, the main issue is people obsession with information, regardless of stance, through the internet. The internet is a wonderful tool, but I truly believe it set us on this path of divide.

I truly think Trump is the worst guy for the job of healing the divide, but, my hope for him as president was to tackle economy and American business. I didn't want him to get caught up in the social (in)justice war that currently feels like it will never improve.

I kind of see where you're coming from Coach. Yes, it comes from being close minded, but too much information is not the problem.

The problem is people not being comfortable challenging their beliefs, opinions, habits, etc. The problem is people only wanting to see what they want to see. I'm guilty of it many times, but I try my best to make an effort to self evaluate and listen to, read, and digest opinions different than my own.

Too much information is not the issue. User error is. The loss of crtical thinking among our population is crippling us. As a teacher I imagine you see that first hand.

https://twitter.com/sarahkendzior/status/896794829526630400

The Obama years were far from perfect -- but think about the conversations that were taking place in the national discourse, the kinds of things we were all learning and debating about.

There are costs to a Trump presidency. They are enormous yet insidious. We don't notice them apart from these passing moments, seven months in, where we might go "Oh, yeah, I totally forgot that adviser to the NSA was affiliated with a Nazi descendant party in Hungary. I guess all the other stories pushed that aside for a moment."

2. Get pissed off.

I kind of see where you're coming from Coach. Yes, it comes from being close minded, but too much information is not the problem.

The problem is people not being comfortable challenging their beliefs, opinions, habits, etc. The problem is people only wanting to see what they want to see. I'm guilty of it many times, but I try my best to make an effort to self evaluate and listen to, read, and digest opinions different than my own.

Too much information is not the issue. User error is. The loss of crtical thinking among our population is crippling us. As a teacher I imagine you see that first hand.

All the time. Students and athletes are constantly being spoon fed information because a lack of patience from the adult to wait on an answer or a lack of patience/effort from the student or athlete to find the answer.

The other day while at practice during our indy time with OL. We were going over schemes in our counter option and counter trap...talking about our first available puller kicking out or logging the DE. Basically it can be either of the guards or the center depending on alignment of the DL. So I posed this question...

Why wouldn't we pull the tackle on the play side? Easy question because he's the end guy on the line thats not split out. My kids sat there scratching their heads, hesitating....as I waited, I gave them the hint of "think about where the play is going, and what formation we are in"...more hesitation.

I don't know if its becuase they are scared to be wrong or what but I'm looking for 1. Ability to understand scheme. 2. Assertiveness.

Eventually they got it with a little more help but I won't just give answers because even in football athletes don't need to just "go where coach told me" athletes need to understand and be taught the theory and the why.

• Fire 2

We say we want America run more like a business, and to let Trump be the head businessman, but nothing he's advanced makes sense on even the simplest business level. We are pursuing the massive financial undertakings of healthcare, immigration reform (multi-billion dollar wall and huge personnel increase), tax reform and the federal budget itself with virtually no cost/benefit analysis. There's not a CEO in America who would be allowed to move as quickly and vindictively with other people's money on the line.

As I wrote in

my comprehensive 2013 defense of free speech at the Guardian, this overflowing naïveté is what I’ve always found most confounding about the left-wing case against universal free speech: this belief that state authorities will exercise this power of censorship magnanimously and responsibly: “At any given point, any speech that subverts state authority can be deemed – legitimately so – to be hateful and even tending to incite violence.”

• Fire 1