Trump's America

zoogs

There's no Grace in tearing down a public monument.

So I looked up the definition of monument.

mon·u·ment
ˈmänyəmənt/Submit
noun
a statue, building, or other structure erected to commemorate a famous or notable person or event.
Thought that was interesting, so I looked up the definition of commemorate.

com·mem·o·rate
kəˈmeməˌrāt/Submit
verb
a. recall and show respect for (someone or something).
b. celebrate (an event, a person, or a situation) by doing or building something.

I fail to see any negative character quality in people wanting to rid our country of the celebration and respect for symbols of oppression, tyranny, and rebellion.

Both sides were educated in the same school system.....95% run by democrats

Do you have a source for this number? Link, please.

Respectable? Hardly. Intelligent? Only because he knew how to follow the orders of his handlers.

Also some pretty heavy allegations! Link, please.

Or, I guess, do you mean in the same way that Donald Trump is only not racist because he followed the orders of his handlers (albeit with great hesitation) in issuing a more scathing public statement condemning white supremacists?

• Plus1 1

I can think of few things less Grace-ful than our enduring commemoration of the 'heroes' who fought to preserve slavery.

We say a lot about who we are by those whose memories we chose to honor. It's right that this should change over time. It's beyond due that we let go of this part of the past. "America's shame" isn't some nice line that we can throw out there without meaning it.

• Plus1 1

So...just to be clear here.  The problem wasn't caused by the Nazis marching and the white supremacists chanting extremely racists crap.....no...it's  because people confronted Nazis and white supremacists.  

On top of that, it's a disgrace to tear down a public monument of people who fought for the right to won slaves.  BUT....I'm sure these same people weren't saying that while watching Saddam Hussein's statue being torn down or Stalin's statue being torn down.

• Plus1 2
12 hours ago, zoogs said:

What's the suggestion here? Let such a display go unchallenged and unopposed?

There's a version of America where nobody bothers to voice their opposition to this when it happens. I don't want that to be the America I live in.

Yeah. I'm kinda torn on this one.

For many years white supremacists and other hate groups have scheduled rallies, knowing perfectly well they were agitating for counter protestors. But the law allows them to march, at which point they look really small as political movements go. They are noticed enough to be mocked, but without confrontation they have little to say, end up looking silly and quickly disperse. Even a recent protest in Berkeley in support of Ann Coulter fizzled when people realized it was all cheap theater.

And if you want to pin the rhetoric of Trump and the Nazis on the one guy who chose to drive his car into the crowd, get ready for the anarchist counter-protester who launches some attention-getting violence that gets someone hurt or killed. It will feed Fox News for the rest of Trump's term. 

Deep down, the most humiliating and demoralizing thing you could do to white supremacist haters is to not fear them at all. They are sad and impotent, with no support among mainstream Americans. The President of the United States and his Chief Strategist being notable exceptions. 

• Plus1 3

Another thought I had on this entire Presidential term.

Trump ran on "America First".  The entire message was Making America Great Again.  AMERICA FIRST!!!!!!

Meanwhile, he is fixated on people like Kim Jung Un.......and is scared to say anything negative towards people like David Duke who strongly endorses him and openly thanks him for supporting the white supremacists.

12 hours ago, zoogs said:

What's the suggestion here? Let such a display go unchallenged and unopposed?

There's a version of America where nobody bothers to voice their opposition to this when it happens. I don't want that to be the America I live in.

maybe we should all do what the white supremacists girlfriends do....point and laugh at them.

2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

For many years white supremacists and other hate groups have scheduled rallies, knowing perfectly well they were agitating for counter protestors. But the law allows them to march, at which point they look really small as political movements go. They are noticed enough to be mocked, but without confrontation they have little to say, end up looking silly and quickly disperse.

Alternatively, World War II is strong evidence of what happens when political ideologies go unchecked and grow without hindrance. A disgruntled populace and a world afraid of fighting back has proven itself a recipe for disaster.

• Plus1 1

My thoughts are that his response to this whole situation, choosing to go rogue during his press conference and his general lack of advising his cabinet of what's going on will be his undoing. Good................step down moron.............the experiment is over, time to let an adult take over. Folks are beginning to distance themselves from him and he'll find out eventually he can't do this job alone, it might take some time and the country will suffer some because of that, but he's not going to last 4 years. I'm not a fan of Pence, but he's a better option than this flake at this point, although he can take his gay hating thoughts and shove them where the sun don't shine. Life lessons I suppose............

• Plus1 6

Well, we've got a bunch of statements from R congressmen over the last 24 hours condemning/scoldingTrump (again).  Are they going to do anything about it this time?  Or just go back to trying to push their agenda through and use Trump tiny hand to sign their bills?

You would think at some point 24 R House members (out of 240) would say "enough is enough" and start the process of impeachment.  (For what, I don't know, but I guess they could find something around him profiting off foreign nationals from his hotels.)

As I mentioned previously, if the Repubs don't start Amend 25 Article 4 action after this, then this Congress has no moral foundation to stand on.  Time to prove yourself Congress. 

Pence if anything would bring us some decorum back into the WH, some respect for the office and for the role Congress plays.   

Mueller - we need your investigation to speed up and get Trump out!!