Trump's America

zoogs

7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I finally watched the Vice documentary along with the pathetic puke's crying plea because he's scared.

Has it been noticed by anyone else how similar what he says is to Trump?

Both proclaim that these people were all law abiding citizens and not causing a problem because they had a permit....bla bla bla.......

Both of them use the same arguments as to why those evil liberals were the cause of all the problems.

Hmmmmmm........

Yeah, I mean, that guy at one point says "We're not nonviolent, I'll f*cking kill these people if I have to" (paraphrasing). 

At another point, asked about the woman who died when that car careened into a group of protesters, he insisted multiple times that it was all kosher and not the driver's fault.

• Plus1 1

31 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I finally watched the Vice documentary along with the pathetic puke's crying plea because he's scared.

Has it been noticed by anyone else how similar what he says is to Trump?

Both proclaim that these people were all law abiding citizens and not causing a problem because they had a permit....bla bla bla.......

Both of them use the same arguments as to why those evil liberals were the cause of all the problems.

Hmmmmmm........

many people all along have said that trump was a white nationalist and many of his cabinet are also.....his true colors are showing through more clearly now and more people are noticing.  now if only the republican party would take full notice and do something about it.  they have the power to do so....the dems don't so it has to be republicans to do so.

The irony of what is going on in Russia and here in the USA is hard to escape.

Stalin statues are going up in Russia as our civil war ones are coming down.  Trump argues against taking down our symbols of

injustice and Putin honors the former dictator.  

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/joseph-stalin-statues-russia-usa/2017/08/16/id/808012/

New statues of Joseph Stalin, the Soviet Union dictator who slaughtered millions, are being erected in Russia as Confederate monuments are dismantled the United States.

Anna Arutunyan, a Russia-American journalist based in Moscow, reports in USA Today that about 10 statues of Stalin have been raised since 2012, despite the once-disgraced leader's horrific purge of "anti-Soviet elements in which 15 to 30 million people were executed, starved or died in labor camps. His murder spree included an anti-Semitic campaign against Jewish doctors, writers, and poets.

Although condemned for his brutality after his death, Stalin is now getting new respect from both an older generation nostalgic for the lost Soviet empire, which collapsed in 1991, and a younger generation of nationalistic Russians," Arutunyan writes.

Where statutes of Stalin were once toppled, he's now feted in sales of Stalin magnets, mugs, T-shirts and statues sold by street vendors in Russia, she says. Russian President Vladimir Putin even condemned the "excessive demonization" of Stalin in a recent interview with director Oliver Stone. Stalin died in 1953.

The rehabilitation of Stalin's legacy comes as communities across the United States begin taking down monuments commemorating Confederate soldiers because of their links to slavery.

20 hours ago, RedDenver said:

BB Hemingway, is your issue that the Confederate monument was taken down or that it was destroyed in the process? I'm curious if you'd support removing the Confederate symbols to a museum instead of in front of a courthouse.

I'd absolutely support moving them to a museum. There have been plenty Confederate related statues moved, and I've had no problem with that. I was also in support of removing the Confederate flags from atop state houses in this country. It was an enemy flag, and should be treated as such.

So yes, removing them from public view is a welcomed sign of progress, but destroying them like that? Nah, not okay with me. Those monuments represent a lot of dead Americans, whether you believe what they were fighting for or not...still Americans.

18 minutes ago, Landlord of Memorial Stadium said:

I mean, being American isn't enough reason for a deceased person to be treated with reverence or even remembrance at all. Being American doesn't usually mean anything other than that's where your parents gave birth to you. 

Sure, I'd agree with that. Although, I don't think they're just any Americans. They fought in this Nation's 2nd most important war. We'll just have to disagree on this.

I should point out that I understand the argument for taking them down/moving them. I just don't understand the defense of destroying them.

1 hour ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I'd absolutely support moving them to a museum. There have been plenty Confederate related statues moved, and I've had no problem with that. I was also in support of removing the Confederate flags from atop state houses in this country. It was an enemy flag, and should be treated as such.

So yes, removing them from public view is a welcomed sign of progress, but destroying them like that? Nah, not okay with me. Those monuments represent a lot of dead Americans, whether you believe what they were fighting for or not...still Americans.

That's reasonable. It seemed from your earlier post that you were in favor of Confederate monuments.

6 minutes ago, Landlord of Memorial Stadium said:

And, from the other side, I'm not defending destroying them, but I fail to understand why anyone would be bent out of shape or really have any kind of a negative reaction to them happening to be destroyed :P

I understand not destroying them. We shouldn't erase history. The Confederacy reminds of us of a dark time when Americans killed one another. Even the worst of humanity, like the Holocaust Museum, should be preserved so we don't forget.

Kind of piggy-backing off RedDenver here but, as he said, we should preserve all history. It isn't just American history being destroyed that bothers me. It makes me a little sick every time ISIS destroys some ancient monument, or artifact. 

Hell, I cringe every time I see some reference to the Library of Alexandria being burned thousands of years ago:blink: ..... All that history, up in flames.

This isn't history and these are not artifacts. They're present day, wholly elective representations of our values as a society. 

A people choose their own symbols of reverence and remembrance. History stands regardless. Frankly, history is warped by the mythology we choose to indulge in to justify keeping these things around. We have to convince ourselves that they are something they are not. If history is the patron saint of this discussion, it should be an easy call.

• Plus1 2
7 minutes ago, zoogs said:

This isn't history and these are not artifacts. They're present day, wholly elective representations of our values as a society. 

A people choose their own symbols of reverence and remembrance. History stands regardless. Frankly, history is warped by the mythology we choose to indulge in to justify keeping these things around. We have to convince ourselves that they are something they are not. If history is the patron saint of this discussion, it should be an easy call.

I think that's a bit of an exaggeration. Are we still erecting Confederate statues today? A quick google search says the last was erected was in 1929. That's nearly 100 years ago. On the whole, I think we've come a long ways as a country, and as Americans.

And yet we choose to keep them.

Well, actually, the reality is we're not choosing to keep them. These symbols are being challenged everywhere they linger and are gradually being phased out. That's a sign of the country coming a long way. A society where the very idea of removing these symbols is verboten is not a country that has come a long way. It's a good thing that we're not that country.