Trump's America

zoogs

1 minute ago, NM11046 said:

Welcome Wiu -   Hope you stick around this forum.  

With all this maddness I do think the one positive that comes of this time in history is that many of us are getting better educated, up to date and involved with politics.  

Agreed with that. I doubt I contribute a whole lot to this forum but I'll definitely be checking in to see others opinions. I don't like to get involved in something unless I'm fairly confident with whats being talked about. I am a long ways from that with politics. 

Just now, wiuhusker said:

Agreed with that. I doubt I contribute a whole lot to this forum but I'll definitely be checking in to see others opinions. I don't like to get involved in something unless I'm fairly confident with whats being talked about. I am a long ways from that with politics. 

I totally understand, but dont doubt your contributions - lots of great insight here from pretty diverse backgrounds.  Age, where you live, sex, race, etc etc all factor in to us being better informed with varying perspectives. 

Often times I find I have a strong opinion on something but I dont know why.  I either learn from folks here or do my own legwork in order to participate and defend.   Its a safe place to ask questions.  

• Plus1 3
6 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

I totally understand, but dont doubt your contributions - lots of great insight here from pretty diverse backgrounds.  Age, where you live, sex, race, etc etc all factor in to us being better informed with varying perspectives. 

Often times I find I have a strong opinion on something but I dont know why.  I either learn from folks here or do my own legwork in order to participate and defend.   Its a safe place to ask questions.  

The asking questions part will most likely be the bulk of my posts. Just trying to learn as much as I can.

• Plus1 2

I'm getting the sense this is the last straw for some public figures and apologists, but hasn't Trump been this awful from the very beginning? 

In two years of jaw-dropping statements by Donald Trump, siding with the Confederacy would certainly crack the Top 10. But it can't come as a surprise.

I think fatigue is setting in. 

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I'm getting the sense this is the last straw for some public figures and apologists, but hasn't Trump been this awful from the very beginning? 

In two years of jaw-dropping statements by Donald Trump, siding with the Confederacy would certainly crack the Top 10. But it can't come as a surprise.

I think fatigue is setting in. 

From February of 2016. 

Politifact: Trump says he "hated what votes for Duke represented" in 1991 & he knew enough to criticize Duke’s racism in 2000.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

To be honest, I'm a little surprised to find such solid political discourse and overwhelmingly anti-Trump sentiment on a site dedicated to Nebraska football.

I'm heartened but confused.

How did Trump get 59% of the state? 

You're only getting a small snapshot. Poll the board at large and you may find something more in line with the 59% figure.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

To be honest, I'm a little surprised to find such solid political discourse and overwhelmingly anti-Trump sentiment on a site dedicated to Nebraska football.

Ha...yeah...I wonder?

11 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I've wondered that myself.  When we were debating the anthem protests, I think that was the first time I was involved in such a political debate on a sports forum.

I think part of the reason is that this is a subset of a subset of Nebraska fans.  Those that choose to post here are perhaps more literate and informed than the "average" fan.

I think many of the more active posters in the political forum are a bit more academic, and tend to be liberal.

I also think that many conservatives have become much more quiet and less raging with all the embarrassing incidents occurring on a daily basis that they cannot excuse with a clear conscience.

• Plus1 4

I'd say those that lean conservative that do post here a lot have pretty clear eyes about Trump, too. It's not like the conservatives that go on cable news and are forced to spin, spin, spin to try to prop the guy up. They don't have to pull any punches here and almost never do. It's refreshing to come to a place where otherwise conservative folks feel free to criticize a guy who is absolutely embarrassing all of us and our country on a daily basis. I'm quite impressed and thankful that they can articulately represent the subset of conservative Americans putting country above party during the era of Trump.