Trump's America

zoogs

No surprise here:

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/347018-gore-trump-should-resign

Former Vice President Al Gore said in an interview published Thursday that if he could give President Trump one piece of advice, it would be to resign. 

Gore was asked the question during an interview with the website LADbible.

"Resign," Gore responded.

Nor is this surprising

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-people-michael-moore-idUSKCN1AX2VI

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Documentary filmmaker Michael Moore is trading screen time for the stage in a one-man show now on Broadway that is a call to action over the current state of U.S. politics.

The show, "The Terms of My Surrender," uses Moore's satirical brand of humor to target U.S. President Donald Trump and encourage liberals to turn resentment over Trump and the Republican political agenda into actual resistance.

"This guy's going to get us all killed. There's nobody in charge. This man (Trump) has the nuclear codes," Moore, 63, told Reuters Television in an interview on Thursday.

"I'm hoping somebody in the Pentagon is protecting us. Like, whatever's in that nuclear briefcase it's just some girlfriend's phone number or something. I'm just hoping that it's not the real numbers because we're in desperate shape here," said Moore, a longtime liberal and a harsh critic of Trump.

This is mildly surprising - Member of Murdoch family rebuking Trump:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-criticized-by-james-murdoch-there-are-no-good-nazis-1503041571

James Murdoch, the chief executive of 21st Century Fox Inc. and a member of the board of The Wall Street Journal parent News Corp, became the latest major U.S. business leader to criticize President Donald Trump’s response to white supremacist violence in Virginia over the weekend, calling it concerning to all Americans.

“What we watched this last week in Charlottesville and the reaction to it by the President of the United States concern all of us as Americans and free people,” Mr. Murdoch wrote in a “personal note” sent by email to friends and colleagues that was shared with The Wall Street Journal.

“I can’t even believe I have to write this: standing up to Nazis is essential; there are no good Nazis. Or Klansmen, or terrorists. Democrats, Republicans, and others must all agree on this, and it compromises nothing for them to do so,” the note continued.

• Plus1 1
23 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

This is mildly surprising - Member of Murdoch family rebuking Trump:

“I can’t even believe I have to write this: standing up to Nazis is essential; there are no good Nazis. Or Klansmen, or terrorists. Democrats, Republicans, and others must all agree on this, and it compromises nothing for them to do so,” the note continued.

I don't think that it is very surprising at all.

Denouncing Nazis and the KKK is a pretty easy thing to do. (even if Trump has a hard time there)  I'm not going to suddenly admire corporate CEO's or prominent Republicans just because they make a politically easy statement.

The hard part is looking objectively at the labels we use, like "terrorist".  It is a lot easier for Americans to use that term on muslims than on white American Christians that commit similar crimes.  Defending white supremacist's right to exist and to peacefully protest is even harder.

For the record, I don't consider Charlottesville to have been a peaceful protest.  Many of the protesting group were using violence, and all of them were using intimidation and promoting hate.  But, ... they do have a right to exist, to have those views and to express them.  The more we try to actively marginalize them, the stronger they will become.  Kind of like the spread of terror groups globally.

• Plus1 2
14 hours ago, Landlord of Memorial Stadium said:

The fans that post on messageboards are a very small minority and do not at all accurately reflect the entire fanbase or state as a whole - we're just the loudest.

Yeah. I totally get that. 

But if you cruise the Internet, there are comments sections on every site, and even sites ostensibly dedicated to politics, news and liberal thought are powered by large and loud conservative factions. Debates deteriorate into name-calling from virtually the get-go. 

Huskerboard has always been far better than that. When the national anthem protest spilled into Husker football over on the side of the site, the range of opinion was incredibly thoughtful and varied. I was particularly impressed how many military veterans, police-sympathizers and conservative leaning posters had open-minded takes and refused to take the partisan bait.

I'm trying to compliment you bastards. Can't you just accept it?

• Plus1 3

https://www.vox.com/2017/8/20/16167870/aclu-hate-speech-nazis-charlottesville
I'm quite wary of this. Empowering either the state or the vox populi to silence other voices seems like a very dangerous proposition, especially because neither should be considered reliable forces for good. And that should be a very, very obvious point to the left.

Even on the dimension of carrying guns. That's, these days, a constitutional right. That fact in itself is the problem, and workarounds inevitably threaten all of our rights by defining various caveats and limits where they may cease to apply.

This is expediency. Expedient victories aren't to be celebrated.

• Plus1 1