Trump's America

zoogs

6 hours ago, zoogs said:

Violence in Charlottesville was the cause of...

"Both sides": 41% of Virginian voters, 65% of VA GOP voters

"White nationalists": 40% of Virginian voters, 15% of VA GOP voters

We have a lot of work to do.

Serious question. The murder/hit and run aside... who maced, threw a punch, hit a person first? I may be missing something but it seems like it may have been the, for lack of a better term, alt-left. Yes, the fact that the white supremacist were armed is in itself an initial provocation,  but isn't the other extreme equally to blame for responding with actual acts of violence? I don't agree with how Trump handle this, and I am certainly not condoning the bigotry of the Nazi's, but there was violence seemingly initiated by the extreme counter protestorsuo prior to the murder unless I'm missing something. ANTIFA has ised violence before...

11 hours ago, ZRod said:

Serious question. The murder/hit and run aside... who maced, threw a punch, hit a person first? I may be missing something but it seems like it may have been the, for lack of a better term, alt-left. Yes, the fact that the white supremacist were armed is in itself an initial provocation,  but isn't the other extreme equally to blame for responding with actual acts of violence? I don't agree with how Trump handle this, and I am certainly not condoning the bigotry of the Nazi's, but there was violence seemingly initiated by the extreme counter protestorsuo prior to the murder unless I'm missing something. ANTIFA has ised violence before...

Counterpoint on Antifa. 

Not saying I disagree with you, but this surprised me when I read it.

Chomsky very critical of Antifa:

"As for Antifa, it's a minuscule fringe of the Left, just as its predecessors were," the linguist and political philosopher told the Washington Examiner.  "It's a major gift to the right, including the militant right, who are exuberant."

And Chomsky is getting criticism for his characterization of Antifa.

While many only associate the anti-fascist movement with militant direct action, it is worth noting it adopts a wide variety of tactics. This includes union organisation, migrant solidarity, public education programmes, ousting white supremacists and neo-Nazis to their neighbours and employers, and urging venues to cancel far-right events.

• Plus1 1

RedDenver's first quote is kind of my overall larger though here. Antifa may be a well intended movement, but their violent actions, no matter how few perpetrate them, reflect on a larger whole who are working to achieve similar goals. We've seen the same thing with the Libertarians to Tea Party, and now the Alt Right movements. Everyone gets lumped in with the crazies. The actions of a few justifying the rhetoric by the extremist of their opposition.

We are losing the middle road in this country because of polarized thoughts, speeches, media...

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, ZRod said:

RedDenver's first quote is kind of my overall larger though heret. Antifa maybe be a well intended movement, but their violent actions, no matter how few perpetrate them, reflect on a larger whole who are working to achieve similar goals. We've seen the same thing with the Libertarians to Tea Party, and now the Alt Right movements. Everyone gets lumped in with the crazies. The actions of a few justifying the rhetoric by the extremist of their opposition.

We are losing the middle iroad n this country because of polarize thoughts, speeches, media...

I agree.  I watched a video the other day with a member of Antifa.  It wasn't a view I would like to see from the movement against the Alt-Right.